Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Rogues. How is this even a discussion?

Hunters up next.

With a perfect comp and a team of "assistants" warriors and warlocks compete with said classes, but not without.

Quote Originally Posted by Debased View Post
    Rogues. How is this even a discussion?

Hunters up next.

With a perfect comp and a team of "assistants" warriors and warlocks compete with said classes, but not without.
    Seems like a thread of people disagree with you there Hunters lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    I like how people keep mentioning things like boomkin, shadow priest, fire mage, and fury warrior as good dps in vanilla. If you're a warrior, prepare to be protection. If you're a priest, holy. if you're a druid, resto. If you're a mage, frost (fire resist mobs and bosses in a lot of high end vanilla content). Other mentions: Warlocks were pretty much there for soulstone, felstones and summons.

Your main DPS classes are going to be hunter, rogue, frost mage. Also not BM hunter.
    So much wrong with everything in this post.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    You've got that wrong, tons of people played 2hand slam.. as a starter build in MC or as a support with Nightfall, since it had low gear requirements and worked okay.
    As soon as people got actual gear however, fury pulled ahead like a freight train.

But feel free to post logs or something similar to back up what you're saying.
    But majority of them played it wrong. Like saving up to full rage and just spamming Slam untill it was empty, repeat. Or just ignoring the swing-timer and using Slam randomly when they felt for it. Or being arms specced. These were in way better guilds than mine, yet they seemingly had no clue how to play it optimally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    But majority of them played it wrong. Like saving up to full rage and just spamming Slam untill it was empty, repeat. Or just ignoring the swing-timer and using Slam randomly when they felt for it. Or being arms specced. These were in way better guilds than mine, yet they seemingly had no clue how to play it optimally.
    Yet you're somehow the only person in the history of the game, over the entire course of Vanilla and all of the private servers to somehow play "optimally" and beat the theoretical top DPS by a good 200 and you have nothing to back up your claims with.
    No offense, but this is an extremely hard sell and you haven't really convinced anyone here of this somehow magical über-DPS spec that apparently only revolves around "Imp. Slam".

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    I like how people keep mentioning things like boomkin, shadow priest, fire mage, and fury warrior as good dps in vanilla. If you're a warrior, prepare to be protection. If you're a priest, holy. if you're a druid, resto. If you're a mage, frost (fire resist mobs and bosses in a lot of high end vanilla content). Other mentions: Warlocks were pretty much there for soulstone, felstones and summons.

Your main DPS classes are going to be hunter, rogue, frost mage. Also not BM hunter.
    There is a LOT of issues with this post.
    Warlocks scaled harder than most other specs and became beastly DPS from BWL onwards.
    Fury warriors were just straight up the best DPS spec in the entire game.
    Fire mages from early AQ forwards were by far the best mage spec.
    Hunters, even played optimally, fell off really fast due to poor scaling.

I could go on and on but feel free to read some of the posts in here as a lot of people here are far more knowledgable than most people are regarding Vanilla DPS compositions.
    Last edited by Gungnir; 2018-10-28 at 10:46 AM.

Gotta admit over 5 warrior toons (1 in retail and 4 on pirate servers) I've never understood or seen a use for the ability "Slam" and I'll freely admit to that probably being a lack of class knowledge but asking around (in guilds and global chat) I was in a vast majority (not once did someone say "You use it in X circumstance")

I figured it might be useful if you had Pendulum of Doom or The Nicker.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I recall watching recently some video about some old items. Not sure, if the item will exist in vanilla with its apparently broken effect, but it could make feral druids top dps.

This effect was not found during actual vanilla, but was only discovered much later.

Apparently there is a helmet drop (i think it was molten core), that has some effect which makes druids extremely powerful, if done correctly.

Unfortunately I cant find the video to post here. Might be bullshit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I recall watching recently some video about some old items. Not sure, if the item will exist in vanilla with its apparently broken effect, but it could make feral druids top dps.

This effect was not found during actual vanilla, but was only discovered much later.

Apparently there is a helmet drop (i think it was molten core), that has some effect which makes druids extremely powerful, if done correctly.

It is a LW crafted helm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post

It's the Wolfshead helmet and it very much does turn feral into quite decent DPS.
    The only issue you start running into is mana depletion due to constantly powershifting.

At end game from what i recall as an actual vanilla player was fire mages and fury warriors in their own league with rogues and locks taking up the 3 and 4 spots.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2018-10-28 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Gotta admit over 5 warrior toons (1 in retail and 4 on pirate servers) I've never understood or seen a use for the ability "Slam" and I'll freely admit to that probably being a lack of class knowledge but asking around (in guilds and global chat) I was in a vast majority (not once did someone say "You use it in X circumstance")

You use it in conjunction with your auto-attacks. In high enough gear level it's practicaly a 1-button spec. The trick is to hit your Slam button just before your auto-attack lands, so that both lands as close to eachother as possible with minimal loss to the swing-timer. This was possible because the animation for auto-attacks started before the white hit landed, and starting a Slam would not reset the swing-timer as long as the animation had started.

Weapon attack speed actually didnt matter that much as long as you got enough rage from auto-attacks to always use Slam. Wich you did in high enough gear levels. Untamed Blade from BWL was actually one of, if not, the best weapon pre-naxx, due to the massive strength proc making Bloodthirst worth using.

Quote Originally Posted by thrill View Post
    It's not like those other specs don't have DoTs, they have essentially the same strength corruption + CoA/D and MD/ruin would have a stronger immolate. They are just missing night fall, and siphon life if we are also disregarding threat.
    MD/ruin doesn't even have instant cast corruption though, it might have stronger immolate but SM build has amplify curse and improved agony so overall stronger dots than MD/ruin and the same bolt strength , the added strength to the pet is okay but overall suffers from random deaths in raids and given the fact that corr is 2 sec cast and your bulk dmg coming from bolt you'd need to use curse of shadows instead of agony, basically meaning that build won't dot much, if not at all.

In this scenario I'd say maybe DS/ruin is almost equal to SM/ruin due to DS/ruin being able to pick up 5/5 imp corr, the dots would be slightly stronger than SM but wont have SL/amplify nor NF.. nor pet, overall being almost the same as SM/ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkers View Post
    Fury warrior is the #1 DPS in the game...
    Except Fury Warriors can't be the best dps in the game, they're too busy filling the role of best tank in the game...

Unless they change how ignite works, the highest single target dps you will be seeing for all bosses in AQ40 and Naxx will be a fire mage. No warrior can match an ignite added onto a mages normal dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    Unless they change how ignite works, the highest single target dps you will be seeing for all bosses in AQ40 and Naxx will be a fire mage. No warrior can match an ignite added onto a mages normal dps.
    Technically that's not his own Dps. All Mages in the raid are contributing to the same Ignite, but only 1 of them will get the credit on the Dmg meter.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Technically that's not his own Dps. All Mages in the raid are contributing to the same Ignite, but only 1 of them will get the credit on the Dmg meter.
    I wonder if it will work the same on classic tho, might have been some weird technical limitation back then they would need to purposely patch in to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Yet you're somehow the only person in the history of the game, over the entire course of Vanilla and all of the private servers to somehow play "optimally" and beat the theoretical top DPS by a good 200 and you have nothing to back up your claims with.
    No offense, but this is an extremely hard sell and you haven't really convinced anyone here of this somehow magical über-DPS spec that apparently only revolves around "Imp. Slam".

There is a LOT of issues with this post.
    Warlocks scaled harder than most other specs and became beastly DPS from BWL onwards.
    Fury warriors were just straight up the best DPS spec in the entire game.
    Fire mages from early AQ forwards were by far the best mage spec.
    Hunters, even played optimally, fell off really fast due to poor scaling.

I could go on and on but feel free to read some of the posts in here as a lot of people here are far more knowledgable than most people are regarding Vanilla DPS compositions.
    So from your post, and many others, I guess this means vanilla is starting out... in a later patch? Because really, for a lot of it, it's exactly what I posted. No one took fire mages during t1 and t2 because of bosses and mobs having fire resist. It seems it's gonna be 1.12, apparently. I get it, now.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post

Slam can be used as a small filler/dps-padder for skilled 2h-fury warriors. You need a slam timer addon and specced atleast 4/5 imp slam. What you do basically is time your slams correctly, inserting them into the rotation when other abilities are on cooldown and right after you have finished an autohit. If you slam too late you'll interrupt your next autohit and instead decrease your overall DPS instead of increasing it.

Slam is hard. Tedious. Requires timing and is not for the faint of heart. I've tried it myself and manage an overall 3-5% increase in raw dps but that is during perfect circumstances, on boss fights that require no moving around, like patchwerk. In the end I went back to regular cookie-cutter fury because it was too much work keeping the rotation perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Except Fury Warriors can't be the best dps in the game, they're too busy filling the role of best tank in the game...
    There is plenty of oppurtunity for fury warriors to DPS thru all content of vanilla, especially now when we know that we'll have 1.12.1 talents. In retail vanilla fury warrior didnt really shine before AQ40 (with a few exceptions).
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    2handed fury with imp slam, axe-wielding orc.

Dual-wield isnt even close.
    >Imp Slam
    >Classic
    >lul.

The two-handed fury spec is only for horde, due to WF,, and consists of Bloodthrist and hamstring spam to fish for WF procs, you don't ever touch slam.

As far as theoretical best DPS goes, I'm giving it to the horde fury warrior, having a feral druid, a hunter and 2 shaman in your best geared fury warriors group is beast, one shaman twists WF and GoA, the other keeps up Tranquil air. At this point you're only -10% threat reduction behind salv, pop fetish of the sand reaver during Recklessness and you should have more than enough leeway as far as threat goes to go batshit.

It's a private server, sure, but I managed over 2,3k DPS with Ironfoe/Anubisath Warhammer, full pally buffs through MC and the aforementioned group on Fankriss (which is as patchwerk as it gets, but also like a 20-30 second fight when overgeared)
    Last edited by mmocd8b3302953; 2018-10-29 at 08:11 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    >Imp Slam
    >Classic
    >lul.

The two-handed fury spec is only for horde, due to WF,, and consists of Bloodthrist and hamstring spam to fish for WF procs, you don't ever touch slam.
    That is incorrect. Read my above post. That being said, it's just a minor increase of overall DPS.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis