Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What was 1.12 de facto strategy for AV?

Reinforcements didn’t come until later, right? So was the strat to turtle until you summoned your elemental lord? Or did people still rush Gavangar / Belinda and then charge through?

Man...summoning the elemental lords in AV is gonna be one of the things I’ll really enjoy doing again. (But BRD is my favorite!)
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

If I remember right by then it was drop two towers and kill Drek.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I remember something similar, towers was always a hot topic while waiting inside the camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Yep.

No one farmed wolves or rams, no one farmed bloods to summon the bosses, sometimes you didn't even stop to kill Bal/Galv. Two towers then Van/Drek.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Soloing/2-manning Galvangar was quite common iirc, did it myself quite a few times. Usually Horde didn't care. Alliance won 98% of AVs I'm sure in my battlegroup. Still think we did all 4 towers though it was just a pure base-trade that we usually won.

I remember joining AV at saturday and playing the exact same AV on sundays evenening. Not even sure if it was over by monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    Soloing/2-manning Galvangar was quite common iirc, did it myself quite a few times. Usually Horde didn't care. Alliance won 98% of AVs I'm sure in my battlegroup. Still think we did all 4 towers though it was just a pure base-trade that we usually won.
    Yeah it's fuzzy but I'm pretty sure most of the time everyone went to the end on both sides, small group would grab galv and first two towers, but most of the time those towers were still up when Drek dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Reinforcements didn’t come until later, right? So was the strat to turtle until you summoned your elemental lord? Or did people still rush Gavangar / Belinda and then charge through?

Man...summoning the elemental lords in AV is gonna be one of the things I’ll really enjoy doing again. (But BRD is my favorite!)
    summoning the elemental lord was non existent in 1.12

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I remember joining AV at saturday and playing the exact same AV on sundays evenening. Not even sure if it was over by monday.
    That's not 1.12 AV tho'. AV by then had undergone many nerfs, most of the guard NPCs had been removed, remaining ones had been made significantly weaker and it had p. much turned to the tower-rush game but without tickets.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Yep.

No one farmed wolves or rams, no one farmed bloods to summon the bosses, sometimes you didn't even stop to kill Bal/Galv. Two towers then Van/Drek.
    Exactly this. AV became a zerg in Patch 1.10. Most NPCs were despawned. RIP Korrak the Bloodrager, Zinfizzlex's Portable Shredder Unit, and the days of Icelord vs. Treezus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    That was the previous version of AV, which existed from Patch 1.5.0 (June 2005) to 1.10.0 (March 2006).

In those days it was quite routine to queue for AV, play for some hours, leave, requeue hours later, and end up in the same AV. That happened to me at least half a dozen times.

In my first AV, I joined after a 30-minute queue, found a match in progress, played for a few hours, left for work, came home, requeued, ... and got the same AV. Played for several hours, went to bed, woke up (elapsed time >24 h), requeued ... same AV. Went to work again, came home again, requeued again (elapsed time ~36 h), requeued ... same AV.
    Last edited by Vulcanasm; 2018-10-30 at 10:59 PM.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

I started TBC launch and hit AV around 2-3 months in I'd say.

There was reinforcements around but you couldn't charge drek at all. I parked my butt at 60 for around 6 months just doing AV. Every single game (without tooting my horn to much) was a win when it was lead by me and my 4 regulars. But we had to split our forces between Galv and IBT while assaulting IBGY. While the 5 of us held back most of the horde. Keeping in mind we were decked out in marshal gear and the horde was usually in quest gear.

After that we'd slowly push forward taking TP. By the time TP went down, it was a win from the count
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    As alliance, by defending SP GY
    and as horde by defending SF GY at all costs.
    Damning the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
    As alliance, by defending SP GY
    and as horde by defending SF GY at all costs.
    Damning the haters.
    To be fair, horde GYs were almost impossible to defend against semi-competent players...

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Mad rush, drop 2 tower. Not bad if you dropped 4. Don't bother with Galvangar/Balindre

Really, going with 1.12 AV may be the biggest betrayal of Classic in all this.
    agreed,it's my favourite part of Classic,and I'm pretty sure it's very loved overall

And I really want Alterac valley,not a gimped shadow of AV like the 1.12 one

A bit offtopic but the impossible happened - we summoned Ivus last Sunday (first time I have seen him), because it had turned into slog match near Tower Point and some DH decided to turn things around a bit. We got everything, upgrades for troops, gryphon riders, all the stuff and mfking Ivus going off to stomp some poor fools. They finally took took him down after ~15+ minutes of rampage.
    I have to say this was the best distraction carnifex (sorry, W40k memes) I have ever seen in battlegrounds. Horde was visibly going WTF.

I will probably play classic just to do AV from time to time.
    P.S.
    This AV lasted around 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    A bit offtopic but the impossible happened - we summoned Ivus last Sunday (first time I have seen him), because it had turned into slog match near Tower Point and some DH decided to turn things around a bit. We got everything, upgrades for troops, gryphon riders, all the stuff and mfking Ivus going off to stomp some poor fools. They finally took took him down after ~15+ minutes of rampage.
    I have to say this was the best distraction carnifex (sorry, W40k memes) I have ever seen in battlegrounds. Horde was visibly going WTF.

I will probably play classic just to do AV from time to time.
    P.S.
    This AV lasted around 1 hour.
    We started the summon for ice lord a week ago,was great
    Blizzard didn't change much in AV in BfA,but separating the queue really changed the meta for the best.I manage to get my group to collect armor scraps and blood (horde equivalent of the storm crystals) almost every game,and people are actually really enjoying it for the most part,excluding the toxic asshole you get every now and then who is confident he has the perfect tactics

Raid wide buffs and the promise of maybe seeing the most awesome thing that can happen in a BG really gets most people going and happy and cooperative
    I haven't really tried getting people to farm for the cavalry,infantry and air strikes yet as I'm doubtful it'd work,but it's the best AV felt since 1.10 imo

if they dont do 1.5 av ill be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    if they dont do 1.5 av ill be dissapointed.
    I'll take anything that's less than 1.10 AV tbh

Man, until this thread I had forgotten 1.12 had the terrible version of AV in it.

I dont give a fuck about classic at all, and getting to do old school AV was the only thing I was looking forward to. I used to do it all the time and havent really PvPed at all since the changes in 1.10.
    There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life. ~ Private Leonard Church