Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    No, I don't. Not being a hyperbole-monster =/= not caring about actual issues. That should be obvious. I'm not an American so I view being constantly afraid as a weakness rather than the natural order.
    Not a hyperbole monster but apparently passive aggressively a strawman expert.

In effect, small changes that exponentially grow over time bring hyperbole to life. You just don't want to make the calculus - but bury your head in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Not a hyperbole monster but apparently passive aggressively a strawman expert.

In effect, small changes that exponentially grow over time bring hyperbole to life. You just don't want to make the calculus - but bury your head in the sand.
    Again, since you don't seem capable of grasping it: Not being a hyperbole-monster =/= not caring about actual issues. Nor does it equal burying ones head in any sand, which should also be obvious.

The only one straw-manning here would be you, and it's clear what you're actually fishing for.

Quote Originally Posted by Axaion View Post
    not really, you seem biased id like your objective sources if you please
    Certainly, it's called a dictionnary.

Fair warning though, you do need a modicum of intelligence to use one.

Here, I'll help you out.

You seem to be struggling with 2 words in particular, so let's cover both just to avoid you trying to come up with some sort of subjectively smart retort.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/objective

What's of interest here is definition 1b.

of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind

The person who wrote the article in question is describing his personal experience and the conclusions he came to based on said personal experiences. That is to say, he did not base his conclusions on the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers. Rather, he based them on his own limited perception, warped by his personal history, characteristics and biases.

His conclusions are subjective.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subjective

Note definitions 3a and 3b.

characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived rather than as independent of mind : PHENOMENAL

relating to or being experience or knowledge as conditioned by personal mental characteristics or states

Let's move on to literal, the word you believe I used incorrectly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literal

I would argue that the way I used literal, which was to express that the writer's conclusions are subjective and are therefore the opposite of something objective, would fits definitions 1b and 1c.

1b adhering to fact or to the ordinary construction or primary meaning of a term or expression : ACTUAL

1c free from exaggeration or embellishment

My use of the word was to exemplify that there was no exaggeration or embellishment, but rather that what I said was factually, to the letter, correct.

So have a good day, I hope you enjoyed the lesson. I truly hope you learned the difference between what is objective and what is not.

Hint: when we're talking about human experiences and perceptions, objective truths are extremely rare.

TL;DR Bai I'm done with this.

Its like the news has an inherent interest in making the news cycle seem as dire as possible to get more views.

Quote Originally Posted by Auryiel View Post

Here, I'll help you out.

You seem to be struggling with 2 words in particular, so let's cover both just to avoid you trying to come up with some sort of subjectively smart retort.

of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind

The person who wrote the article in question is describing his personal experience and the conclusions he came to based on said personal experiences. That is to say, he did not base his conclusions on the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers. Rather, he based them on his own limited perception, warped by his personal history, characteristics and biases.

characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived rather than as independent of mind : PHENOMENAL

relating to or being experience or knowledge as conditioned by personal mental characteristics or states

I would argue that the way I used literal, which was to express that the writer's conclusions are subjective and are therefore the opposite of something objective, would fits definitions 1b and 1c.

1b adhering to fact or to the ordinary construction or primary meaning of a term or expression : ACTUAL

My use of the word was to exemplify that there was no exaggeration or embellishment, but rather that what I said was factually, to the letter, correct.

So have a good day, I hope you enjoyed the lesson. I truly hope you learned the difference between what is objective and what is not.

Hint: when we're talking about human experiences and perceptions, objective truths are extremely rare.

Ah, the good old "hurr durr lets name and shame"

It seems you couldent find any objective sources for your claim that the article is not objective.

Alright then.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    No, I don't. Not being a hyperbole-monster =/= not caring about actual issues. That should be obvious. I'm not an American so I view being constantly afraid as a weakness rather than the natural order.
    Do you think we're constantly afraid? Or afraid for like an hour a day or something?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    America is a great place to excel as a person. There is absolutely no barriers that isn't created in one's own head. A minimum wage custodian could take a few classes on pluralsight.com and be earning 6 figures in 5 years if they apply themselves and work hard towards a goal. There is such vast access to resources, people, financing, creative types, and such a diversity of lifestyle in different parts of the US. Not to mention the natural beauty, especially out West.

And of course the big daddy:

Constitutionally
    Protected
    Free
    Speech

What a fantastic country.

It seems bad because this is the first doom and gloom moment for the youngin' millennial types- the types that are very vocal on the internet and now have jobs in mass media. Before this, Bush was the doom and gloom, then Clinton before him, etc.

Everything is currently fine and will be fine in the future. The political system has gridlock baked in, to ensure no one branch can go too far off the walls.
    A minimum wage custodian couldn't live with just that one job and would need a second, likely keeping him from seeking further training. Should he at any point become overly ill he'll likely be jobless. Likewise just having a training isnt near enough due to over large base line requirements.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    A minimum wage custodian couldn't live with just that one job and would need a second, likely keeping him from seeking further training. Should he at any point become overly ill he'll likely be jobless. Likewise just having a training isnt near enough due to over large base line requirements.
    Or he could get hit by a car on his way to work. The what ifs do not invalidate what he was saying. There is opportunity if you want it.

If you ignore kids being murdered in schools every week, america is great!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Lain View Post
    There was a school shooting near my house this morning, so I guess not.
    There were 2 kids in the town I used to live in just 30 minutes away that were arrested on campus with multiple guns on them. This is a town that has 20k people living in it too. If people want to live with their heads in the sand and ignore what is going on with this country, that's just idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    No surprise, the media generates revenue by dividing us.
    good to see someone calling out fox news for once. but i doubt you intended it to be pointing out how fox news is spreading lies to divide and to make profit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    If you ignore reality - I'm a wealthy, attractive, middle aged single man.

Come on gals

Seriously though - everything isn't OK, the country is being taken over. If one just ignores that reality - then come 10 years or so and nothing will be fine any more.

History has shown us this lesson over and over.
    The lesson that superforecasting terrible outcomes is usually never correct?

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    good to see someone calling out fox news for once. but i doubt you intended it to be pointing out how fox news is spreading lies to divide and to make profit from it.
    It's not just Fox my friend and only a fool would think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Because there is a system set up to protect dirty cops. Just like a system to protect dirty teachers, dirty politicians etc...

Well, that is issue I am talking about.
    Well, you shouldn't try to change the race of people just to suit your personal agenda. Race wasn't a factor in the shootings.

And how often do teachers shoot unarmed teens and not get charged with a crime ?

Quote Originally Posted by Auryiel View Post

Here, I'll help you out.

Jesus...you've spent so much time trying to prove your point you've missed the fact you are getting trolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    The lesson that superforecasting terrible outcomes is usually never correct?
    Nah - the one about self admitted fascists like Donald Trump always causing problems.

We are no longer in the territory of forecasting, we are in fact in the territory of observation.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Nah - the one about self admitted fascists like Donald Trump always causing problems.

We are no longer in the territory of forecasting, we are in fact in the territory of observation.

Donald Trump said he was literally Hitler?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Donald Trump said he was literally Hitler?
    No ... but then again, neither did I.

Seems the only person comparing Trump to Hitler here is you.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It's not just Fox my friend and only a fool would think otherwise.

Dont worry i know most of the mainstream media is far to corporate loving and that we have very limited sources of truly unbiased news that actually dare to stand up against the corporate overlords