Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

The state of Tennessee set to execute murderer in electric chair tonight

Tennessee set to execute murderer Edmund Zagorski in electric chair Thursday night

The state of Tennessee was set Thursday night to make good on a murderer’s grim request to be put to death in the electric chair rather than by lethal injection.

Edmund Zagorski, 63, is scheduled to be executed shortly after 7:10 p.m. ET at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville.

He’s requested a final meal of pickled pig knuckles and tails, according to prison officials.

While Tennessee normally puts inmates to death with lethal injection, Zagorski wants to die in the electric chair, claiming that 1,750 volts will be less painful than receiving a deadly cocktail of IV drugs.

State law allows condemned prisoners, who committed their crimes before January 1999, to opt for electrocution.

Zagorski, who murdered two men in 1983 in a drug deal gone wrong, had been set to die by lethal injection on Oct. 11 and the killer opted for electrocution. State authorities originally denied Zagorski’s preference for electrocution, saying his request came too late.

The rest of the article: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-night-n929776

What is your opinion about this?
    The death penalty itself aside, is this particular method barbaric? Or is it just as humane as an injection?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    What is your opinion about this?
    The death penalty itself aside, is this particular method barbaric? Or is it just as humane as an injection?
    I don't have enough knowledge on the details to seriously comment on whether one method is more or less humane

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I don't have enough knowledge on the details to seriously comment on whether one method is more or less humane
    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/some-ex...hed-executions

They all suck, especially when it doesn't work as planned.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems a little bit barbaric, but i do not know enough to give you an informed opinion.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

The guillotine was best. Once the spinal column is cut it doesn't hurt.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The guillotine was best. Once the spinal column is cut it doesn't hurt.
    Depending on the blades sharpness there's examples of the blade not severing the neck

1983 ? Seriously ? What took so long ?

Depending on the blades sharpness there's examples of the blade not severing the neck
    Yeah there were many documented cases in which the blade was not kept sharp and it was more of a bash till severed approach. It is also speculated the head remains aware for up to 30 seconds after severing if it was done fast enough. I feel that would be the worst hell before death.
    Last edited by keyboardshinobi; 2018-11-01 at 05:44 PM.

Doesn't matter how grim the chair may be to some, the guy requested it.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I feel like once you get into the territory of "well what if it goes wrong?" every way of execution would fall apart. There is no way to kill someone humanely, without any chance of failure, since it's inherently an activity based on harming them.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    1983 ? Seriously ? What took so long ?
    My first thoughts as well.

Death is death. How they get there doesn’t really make a difference to me. Assuming he was guilty, the state has legal death penalty and he exhausted his appeals. Which, given the info here, seems to fit all 3.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    I feel like once you get into the territory of "well what if it goes wrong?" every way of execution would fall apart. There is no way to kill someone humanely, without any chance of failure, since it's inherently an activity based on harming them.
    Which is one reason why I am against capital punishment

I think the firing squad would be the better way to go.

I mean, he requested it and the tax payers are paying for it anyways, maybe he wanted to give us a show?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/some-ex...hed-executions

They all suck, especially when it doesn't work as planned.
    the guy who built he chair doubts as well it will work. IMHO if it fails Tennessee will be sued until the hell freezes over because they knew before now about the possible malfunction.

He did ask for the chair, end result will be the same with him being dead so.
    Do you hear the voices too?

i am definitely against the death penalty.

but imo, if they're gonna do it, they should just use a shotgun to the head.

no brain, no pain.

Deleted
    Kind of sucks, could just use carbon monoxide in a room ... you fall asleep and never wake up.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    Kind of sucks, could just use carbon monoxide in a room ... you fall asleep and never wake up.
    not with carbon monoxide. nitrogen should work but is still not used.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    I feel like once you get into the territory of "well what if it goes wrong?" every way of execution would fall apart.
    And that's why it's a fun little fact that botched executions were considered divine signs in medieval Europe, or at least part of it. There was a custom that anyone still alive after three strikes to the neck was free to go, as he was not meant to die.