Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

No Kul'Tiran mages?

I honestly thought that Kul'Tiran mages were a guarantee given Jaina is Kul'Tiran and a mage...I had already committed myself to making a frost mage, so imagine my surprise when they did not appear on the list. Can anyone explain why they don't have mages when their leader is a mage and they have mages that run the portals of their city?

One could argue that them being druids is much less of a fit since there aren't any Kul'Tiran druids...those are Drust thornspeakers. Shamans also seem a bit of stretch since there are no Kul'Tiran shamans, their tide sages are more priests than anything else. And monks...don't even get me started. So Kul'Tirans fully embrace a completely different ideology from a foreign race, but Jaina doesn't think to educate them in the ways of a mage. Gotta say this isn't making a whole bunch of sense. Blizzard's really making some weird lore lately.

Also that one Kul Tiran fire mage boss (who fights next to the draenei monk) from the 8.1 raid. :')

The Mages appeared on the official recap, along with Zandalari warlocks, but both options have disappeared from the recap in the past few hours. It's a deliberate leave-out that I'm assuming is because of class number balance, but with enough complaints I can see them removing monks for mages (because mages are more iconic).

- - - Updated - - -

They also REALLY need to swap out Zandalari mages for warlocks. I can't think of a single Zandalari mage.

Yea I agree Kul'tiran's should swap monks for mages and zandalari should swap mages for warlocks it would make more sense I just don't picture a bunch of Kul'tiran monks and Zandalari mages walking around.

Deleted
    Jaina is mage because she went to Dalaran to Become one, just because she's from Kul Tiras doesn't mean all Kul tirans can be Mage's, its very limited and with no mages, having Warlocks makes no sense either since that's basicly a mage but using chaotic power.

Kul tirans being shamans on the other hand surprised me aswell. I guess the Tidesage fits that role since its related to Water Elements, some water related totems and Yeah I guess they fit the role of a Priest, but a Priest has nothing to do with Water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchbishopBenedictus View Post
    I honestly thought that Kul'Tiran mages were a guarantee given Jaina is Kul'Tiran and a mage...I had already committed myself to making a frost mage, so imagine my surprise when they did not appear on the list. Can anyone explain why they don't have mages when their leader is a mage and they have mages that run the portals of their city?

One could argue that them being druids is much less of a fit since there aren't any Kul'Tiran druids...those are Drust thornspeakers. Shamans also seem a bit of stretch since there are no Kul'Tiran shamans, their tide sages are more priests than anything else. And monks...don't even get me started. So Kul'Tirans fully embrace a completely different ideology from a foreign race, but Jaina doesn't think to educate them in the ways of a mage. Gotta say this isn't making a whole bunch of sense. Blizzard's really making some weird lore lately.
    Have you ever been to Drustvar? You get hanged if you are a witch.

Deleted
    I don't play Battle for Azeroth and hasn't kept up to date, only briefly looked at MMO-Champion due to the ongoing blizzcon. But from memory of previous stuff the only time I can remember Kul Tirian mages ever being referenced was in connection to Tol Barad. So they do seem to exist in previous established lore outside just Jaina Proudmoore.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiandra View Post
    Jaina is mage because she went to Dalaran to Become one, just because she's from Kul Tiras doesn't mean all Kul tirans can be Mage's, its very limited and with no mages, having Warlocks makes no sense either since that's basicly a mage but using chaotic power.
    Only the lord admiral's daughter is allowed to study in Dalaran?

The members of the alliance of Lordaeron sure were stingy with their knowledge I guess.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Have you ever been to Drustvar? You get hanged if you are a witch.
    Yeah and those witches are using druidic magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    No but Kul Tirans are an Allied Race. They start on Kul Tiras at level 20. It means they would have had to learn spells up until that point and there is no Arcane training on the island.

I realize that it's pretty much a technicality but Allied Races are more lore driven than regular ones. If they started at lvl 1 then I can see the fact that they're leaving Kul Tiras at the very beginning of their training to travel the world would be an easy way to explain it away, but that isn't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    No but Kul Tirans are an Allied Race. They start on Kul Tiras at level 20. It means they would have had to learn spells up until that point and there is no Arcane training on the island.

I realize that it's pretty much a technicality but Allied Races are more lore driven than regular ones. If they started at lvl 1 then I can see the fact that they're leaving Kul Tiras at the very beginning of their training to travel the world would be an easy way to explain it away, but that isn't happening.
    Why can't they be a Dalaran trainee from before the Third War? They're not starting as teenagers here. The men all look to be at least 40.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchbishopBenedictus View Post
    Cant Fit In Cloth they need to work out some more maby next exspansion

Why can't they be a Dalaran trainee from before the Third War? They're not starting as teenagers here. The men all look to be at least 40.
    Wouldn't we have seen any of the Kul Tiran NPCs using the Arcane if this were true? Since we haven't I don't think that ever happened. Perhaps Jaina was really the only one permitted to learn the Arcane. At least, enough to be called a Mage.

Wouldn't we have seen any of the Kul Tiran NPCs using the Arcane if this were true? Since we haven't I don't think that ever happened. Perhaps Jaina was really the only one permitted to learn the Arcane. At least, enough to be called a Mage.
    I honestly thought tidesages were mage/priest hybrids. They don't look like they're wearing mail and dropping totems to me.

5+ Year Old Account

Level 20 is no indication of where they have been in the past and their are already mages on Kul Tiras. Levels don't exist in lore and it makes no sense to derive any information about the lore from them.

The members of the alliance of Lordaeron sure were stingy with their knowledge I guess.
    alliance members and stinginess is rather canon.

but honestly, looking around Kul tiras it doesn't seem like many people are looking to learn magic like that. Sure the tide sages are a thing, but aside from them and that drust... what magic seems to be springing up?

Logically, anyone should be thinking of mastering any higher skills... Though I'm at a loss for why monks got a nod instead of mages given how the monk class fantasy plays out.

I honestly thought tidesages were mage/priest hybrids. They don't look like they're wearing mail and dropping totems to me.
    That seems more like Blizzard being too lazy to make new spell animations. Sunwalkers are supposed to behave like paladins but use the sun instead of the light, yet the two look exactly the same from within the game.

We're just supposed to roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas View Post
    Level 20 is no indication of where they have been in the past and their are already mages on Kul Tiras. Levels don't exist in lore and it makes no sense to derive any information about the lore from them.
    The level point was merely a numerical value of how far into their training someone would be. They're already somewhat into it, being that they would have had taken some time to learn from somebody.

Mages on Kul Tiras? Where? You mean us? It doesn't make sense that a fresh trainee would have been able to become competent enough to be called a Mage from the time span we land on the island to when they become an Allied Race. Too fast. The Arcane is supposed to be difficult to learn.
    Last edited by Goldielocks; 2018-11-03 at 04:39 AM.

to be fair, shaman builds don't often drop totems anywhere near as often these days. But tide sages seem to have totems around their works.

overall it's really awkward pinning down some npc classes (Doom Hammer was a 2h at one point if i remember and thrall was always in plate before cata)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by floud View Post
    I don't play Battle for Azeroth and hasn't kept up to date, only briefly looked at MMO-Champion due to the ongoing blizzcon. But from memory of previous stuff the only time I can remember Kul Tirian mages ever being referenced was in connection to Tol Barad. So they do seem to exist in previous established lore outside just Jaina Proudmoore.
    Seems memory serves me correctly
    Following the Second War,[9] what remained of the blackened, derelict battlements was left to languish until the wizards of Kul Tiras claimed the isle for a new purpose. Towering walls were again stacked high from the war-scarred stones, but in their cleverness, the arcanists turned the citadel’s defenses inward, designing a mystical prison to hold the most powerful criminals.[7] Serving the Tirasian magi, the Stromic population formed the Baradin's Wardens: charged with ensuring that the deadly prisoners locked away in the mystic Baradin Hold never again walk free on Azeroth.[3] Even the Kirin Tor imprisoned some powerful demons in the repurposed stronghold.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tol_Barad

Deleted
    At this point the Monk class is just a forced upon class on every Race out there. Maybe its so that people can rush as Monks to get 120 and get that Epic Heritage armor. Who knows, Pandaren might visit Worgens and Goblins and give out a free pamphlet to force their Monk skills on them.

ALL MUST BE MONK!