Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"US is not safe”: Canadian advocates want to end policy of returning refugees to US

Canada has this law where if a refugee claims asylum at a border entry point, that asylum claim can be rejected automatically because it's assumed that the refugee asked for asylum in the US first.

The left wing in Canada wants to change that, saying the US isn't safe.

Meanwhile refugees come to the US Southern border and ask for asylum even though they crossed through Mexico, a safe country. Why can't the US reject these refugees? Mexico has offered them asylum?

huge ass article at this link

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/03/...ountry-asylum/

the Safe Third Country Agreement, or STCA, is that the United States and Canada are interchangeable options for refugees. Not everyone agrees. Three major organizations fighting for immigrant rights in Canada — the Canadian Council for Refugees, the Canadian Council of Churches, and Amnesty International Canada — filed a challenge in federal court last year to the “safe third country” designation. For the second time in a decade, they’re arguing that the United States is not, in fact, safe.

50,469 refugees asked for asylum in Canada last year, a 10-year high and more than twice 2016 levels. About 40 percent of those claimants crossed from the United States on foot between official points of entry, where the STCA doesn’t apply.

The surge has had logistical consequences. Stéphanie Valois, a refugee lawyer of 25 years based in Montreal, told The Intercept that she’s never had a summer quite like 2017. “I felt like a doctor in the emergency room but without the pay,” she said. Unofficial border crossings have slowed this year: There were 15,726 between January and September.

“The spectacle of [irregular] border crossings incites people because of this obsession with loss of control,” says Audrey Macklin, chair of human rights law at the University of Toronto. Remove the STCA, she says, and the spectacle would evaporate. “Why not do that?”

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Canada has this law where if a refugee claims asylum at a border entry point, that asylum claim can be rejected automatically because it's assumed that the refugee asked for asylum in the US first.

Meanwhile refugees come to the US Southern border and ask for asylum even though they crossed through Mexico, a safe country. Why can't the US reject these refugees? Mexico has offered them asylum?

the Safe Third Country Agreement, or STCA, is that the United States and Canada are interchangeable options for refugees. Not everyone agrees. Three major organizations fighting for immigrant rights in Canada — the Canadian Council for Refugees, the Canadian Council of Churches, and Amnesty International Canada — filed a challenge in federal court last year to the “safe third country” designation. For the second time in a decade, they’re arguing that the United States is not, in fact, safe.

50,469 refugees asked for asylum in Canada last year, a 10-year high and more than twice 2016 levels. About 40 percent of those claimants crossed from the United States on foot between official points of entry, where the STCA doesn’t apply.

The surge has had logistical consequences. Stéphanie Valois, a refugee lawyer of 25 years based in Montreal, told The Intercept that she’s never had a summer quite like 2017. “I felt like a doctor in the emergency room but without the pay,” she said. Unofficial border crossings have slowed this year: There were 15,726 between January and September.

“The spectacle of [irregular] border crossings incites people because of this obsession with loss of control,” says Audrey Macklin, chair of human rights law at the University of Toronto. Remove the STCA, she says, and the spectacle would evaporate. “Why not do that?”
    The STCA is an agreement between Canada and the US. Why would it apply to Mexico?

Edit: To expound upon the topic. The STCA is an agreement that says that acknowledged that (at the time) any person who would be a valid refugee claimant in one country would be just as safe in the other. Therefore there were no legitimate refugees fleeing the US for Canada, or Canada for the US. The only people attempting to do that, at the time, were people who had their claim denied in one country and was hoping to shop around until someone didn't do their background checks properly.

For your argument to be valid, you would have to be claiming that the US and Mexico are fundamentally the same from a safety standpoint. The same Mexico that the right wing says is overrun with drug lords and crime syndicates. Is that the claim you are indeed making?
    Last edited by Lynarii; 2018-11-05 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The STCA is an agreement between Canada and the US. Why would it apply to Mexico?

Edit: To expound upon the topic. The STCA is an agreement that says that acknowledged that (at the time) any person who would be a valid refugee claimant in one country would be just as safe in the other. Therefore there were no legitimate refugees fleeing the US for Canada, or Canada for the US. The only people attempting to do that, at the time, were people who had their claim denied in one country and was hoping to shop around until someone didn't do their background checks properly.

For your argument to be valid, you would have to be claiming that the US and Mexico are fundamentally the same from a safety standpoint. The same Mexico that the right wing says is overrun with drug lords and crime syndicates. Is that the claim you are indeed making?
    If mexico is not safe (because of mexicans) then such people (mexicans) should not be allowed entry
    If mexico is safe, then the asylum guys can stay there

For me Mexico is great place and the vast majority of the people are great The vast majority of the country it is very nice and peaceful, only small parts are bad. (I am still against illigal immigration though, but only because I want people to find job before entering a country, and immigrate legaly (like I did))
    Last edited by d00mGuArD; 2018-11-05 at 10:20 AM.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    If mexico is not safe (because of mexicans) then such people (mexicans) should not be allowed entry
    If mexico is safe, then the asylum guys can stay there

For me Mexico is great place and the vast majority of the people are great The vast majority of the country it is very nice and peaceful, only small parts are bad
    That is not in any way how refugees work. What you're asking for is for the US to withdraw from the international treaties on refugees.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's horse crap and completely disingenuous. People aren't getting put in death camps, and quite frankly, Canadians don't want economic migrants trying to disguise themselves as refugees, they will eventually get deported but should be turned back at the border anyway. These fools will soon learn the results of forcing illegals on the population, because most of them are entering the country illegally.

It seems 90% of asylum seekers these days have no problem passing stable alternatives before arriving at their preferred place of settlement. Which means 90% are not actual refugees.

I guess the question is, are refugees finding it harder to get their applications approved in the US in this administration vs the previous one(s)? If the US is getting pickier about the refugee claimants, it would be logical for Canada to remain consistent in our own approval process and not automatically follow the US' lead, but to make our own determinations.

In other words, we've been fine with automatically denying refugees that applied in the US first, under the logic that if they were denied there, it was for good reason. Now, we're not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Two minutes on Google and this post would have been totally unnecessary.

1. The US and Canada can both automatically reject refugees at the border if they come from one of those two countries. This is an agreement to simplify international practices of applying for refugee status in the first safe country you arrive in.

2. "the US isn't safe" FOR REFUGEES. Pretty hard to argue against this when there is talk about sending back people that have death squads waiting for them.

People get shot in the street in America for angering the wrong person.

America is not safe and it’s getting worse. As a Canadian I’ve called for the closing of the boarder for years and as America inches closer and closer to civil war, we MUST consider this. The southern menace is very real.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post

America is not safe and it’s getting worse. As a Canadian I’ve called for the closing of the boarder for years and as America inches closer and closer to civil war, we MUST consider this. The southern menace is very real.
    Nonsense. Absolute bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    Nonsense. Absolute bunk.

In Canada we’d be happy knowing you’d get a parking ticket.

You're not a Canadian and everyone knows it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both countries are fine, send em back might be the best option at the moment i would need to read up on it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You're not a Canadian and everyone knows it.
    I am a Canadian and I don’t care who the fuck knows it. You’re a random internet person.

Is this jealousy bed now our people are more free than Americans, now that we don’t risk being put in jail for smoking a plant?

I am a Canadian and I don’t care who the fuck knows it. You’re a random internet person.

Is this jealousy bed now our people are more free than Americans, now that we don’t risk being put in jail for smoking a plant?
    I love Canada. I'm just well aware that your schtick is purely, 100%, spreading anti-American propaganda. Actual Canadians aren't actually that deranged about their Southern neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I love Canada. I'm just well aware that your schtick is purely, 100%, spreading anti-American propaganda. Actual Canadians aren't actually that deranged about their Southern neighbor.
    I am.
    I bet you’re from Ontario.

Only in blue cities.

Quote Originally Posted by InsightTimer View Post
    It seems 90% of asylum seekers these days have no problem passing stable alternatives
    Well, heading from South America north, Canada is technically the first stable safe spot one finds.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    They pass more than a handful of safe countries, before arriving in scandinavia. Gotta get that welfare, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatBootyJudy View Post
    Only in blue cities.
    In red cities they have the decency to just practice polygamy.