Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would you live as a Brain in a machine if it meant living for thousands of years?

Would you live as a Brain in a machine if it meant living for thousands of years?

Lets say science can take your brain out of your body and put it into a machine that could easily be repaired meaning you could live for thousands maybe hundred of thousand years would you do it?

The only part of you would be your brain and nothing else everything else would be mechanical would you say yes to that form or would you rather just be you and die as you and not some brain in a jar in a machine?

Yes, ghost in the shell, here we go!

no..................

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druuge View Post

Lets say science can take your brain out of your body and put it into a machine that could easily be repaired meaning you could live for thousands maybe hundred of thousand years would you do it?

The only part of you would be your brain and nothing else everything else would be mechanical would you say yes to that form or would you rather just be you and die as you and not some brain in a jar in a machine?
    Possibly, because the machine I'm in could be anything from a toaster to a super advanced android body.

Maybe. I really would have to know what kind of existence I'd be living in. I want to be able to do stuff and interact with people and enjoy myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    No that would be retarded, what's the point of living without a functioning body

If I ever get paralyzed kill my ass just as well

Might happen, but the "you" is just a copy of and not really YOU and your consciousness being transferred over. The real you will still die but everyone else won't notice a difference.

Fun!

Absolutely, can't wait to have an android body. This bag of meat is a bother to feed and train.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am fairly certain if you were a brain in a machine you'd go insane in a fairly short time.
    Kinda reminds me of the short novel "I have no mouth, and I must scream".

Thing is the human instinct to 'survive' would certainly make it an attractive option especially if you was at deaths door knowing whats next is prolly just lights out and thats it!!

I mean sure as a somewhat healthy adult i would scoff at it but if i was riddled with cancer with weeks left to live you better believe i would grab at the chance cause its in my DNA to survive no matter the odds. Even if it would prolly be purgatory but then 'Happiness' is just chemicals flushing into the brain that iam sure machines could easily replicate.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2018-11-08 at 10:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already are brains in machines. The machines are just really shitty.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Druuge View Post

Fuck yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends, would the body I inhabit be a sexy android body with synthetic skin and muscle allowing me to still feel sensation like in some sci-fi stories?

If that seems to elaborate, well so is the idea of an active brain living outside a living body for thousands of years without decay, so we can make up our own rules at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    No that would be retarded, what's the point of living without a functioning body
    If we can put brains into machines, we can certainly make us robot bodies.

Ghost in the shell style sure.

Anything less then no.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Depends on the capabilities of the machine. I'd love to experience the scientific advancements of the human race far beyond my own lifetime, but I'd also need to be able to pull the plug autonomously if life grows too stale
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep sure I’d do it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Depends, am I the only one and can I still experience, in some fashion, the world outside?
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Look up a flash game called Ship of Thesis, I would move my consciousness to one of those bodies.

Not at all, I'd prefer not to have a thousand years of torture thank you very much.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.