Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Classic WoW devotees unanimously declare: Of course we’d pay for Classic!
    Blizz responds: okay, let’s charge them, they said they’d be fine with it.
    Devotees: Why the fuck do we have to pay? It should be free or reduced cost!

Deleted
    The entire purpose of making classic require subscription is to pad their overall subscription numbers.

When Blizzard shows the stats to their financial superiors, all they see is sub numbers. They don't see how many are playing retail or classic. It's the perfect marketing tool.

There won't be a subscription reduction for classic.

Too funny this thread. I could go back 15 years ago and find the same threads on thottbot about how "expensive" wow it to subscribe.

Simply facts is that it costs a lot to to fund engineers, and blizzard is a company. No company would do ANYTHING that didn't have the potential to make money.

I just don't understand how everyone wants something for free or to have other people fund your entertainment. Nothing is free...The fact that the subscription price hasn't gone up in 15 years is incredible. Taking into account inflation, it costs "less" than it did 15 years ago.

I made a post on the classicwow subreddit about this and got shouted down. Bizarrely imo.

I'd definitely rather a half price "Classic only" option. And I'd pay for 2, so Blizz would still get their total money.

Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    The entire purpose of making classic require subscription is to pad their overall subscription numbers.

When Blizzard shows the stats to their financial superiors, all they see is sub numbers. They don't see how many are playing retail or classic. It's the perfect marketing tool.

There won't be a subscription reduction for classic.
    Two things,

First, I doubt the investors get the subscription numbers. All they get to see is revenue, because that's all that matters.

Second, Classic will add, in the long run, 100K players at most. There will be one huge, likely million-sized spike in participation in that game for the first few weeks, which is not going to affect subscriber numbers very much because many are going to be people who are already subbed to retail and want to see what the fuss is about, and then it's going to drop off very quickly because it's still a 14-year old game with 14-year old mechanics and design. It's not going to be the Second Coming of Green Jesus by a wide margin.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    I won't pay full sub cause I have private servers as an alternative. I bought the game I own the game so let me play it already. You wanna charge me $15 a month to play a game that private servers offer for free and most likely better? Nah uh, I know you're doing it cause you're afraid to lose your intellectual property if you don't offer it and defend it. Not because Blizzard realized that people want the game, but because they can't stop private severs cause they've tried and failed. Offer the service for free like every other PC game in existence, except Final Fantasy XIV, but they'll go free to play like everyone else did. I bought it, I own it, and I can prove it.
    1. For now, until they are shut down from law suits
    2. You rent the license from Blizzard. They own the account you use plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Why shouldn't they pay full price? It was $15 a month then, now it's $15 a month and access to a massive second MMO. Even if you don't care at all about the second MMO, you are literally paying the same price you did in the past.
    The game was undergoing constant development in the past. Now it won't be getting any. Therefore shouldn't cost as much as there's less justification for the cost

The obvious answer is
    £10 p/m Live and Classic is a free bonus
    £5 p/m Classic only

(or regional equivalent)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    The game was undergoing constant development in the past. Now it won't be getting any. Therefore shouldn't cost as much as there's less justification for the cost

The obvious answer is
    £10 p/m Live and Classic is a free bonus
    £5 p/m Classic only

(or regional equivalent)
    So join the list of folks that wont be paying and wont be playing... It's really that simple.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I think the main issue is that people don't want to be subbed to retail. I don't think it has anything to do with the cost, it's more of the stigma that these guys hold against retail and they aren't willing to let that go, even for something they begged for for many many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Two people were fired. Yet the focus has been squared solely on one of them because.... Vagina?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    You won't miss shit, it's only intended for launch, when there are 500 people that YOU WILL HATE IN MINUTES in a zone with 100 mobs. You are not supposed to make friends there, you need to get the fuck out of that crowed shitty zone and actually play the game. Then you can start interacting as much as you want and actually play the game with those people, not just waiting in frustration for a fucking wolf or kobold to respawn. Is that really immersion? Waiting for pixels to respawn to get a tag on them? The only interaction in that shitty place is this "invite pls"...

This proposed sharding is supposed to affect you several hours, probably not even 5% of the time you will need to level your first character. Is this really such a big deal? REALLY???
    There was ALOT of shitty stuff in classic, mob tagging & spawning was one of them. A QoL change on retail.

I remember in alot of zones and places in classic that were annoying cause of how mob tagging worked, not just in the starter zones.

Mob tagging, respawns of mobs and herbs/ore were a part of classic. It was a fight for everything. Therefore, as most of wow back then, everything was slower. every damn part of the whole classic game is slower.

I dont get the crying over this when we all know thats how it was in classic.

You gonna cry about having to use flightmaster & run on your feet from Stormwind to scarlet monastary just to loose 2 people when you finally get there? "pls lfg".

Besides, elwyn forest is for humans. Gnomes & dwarf dont start there. Night elf dont start there. So unless 95% of the people who play alliance must be humans it will be ok.

Sure on the first days this will be a issue. It will quickly calm down. But who am I kidding, this is wowplayers. Insta rage each time a new xpac comes out and they cant play 100% the very second the xpac comes out. Its mental breakdown, bitching and crying 10 minutes into a xpac "omg to much ppl wtf". Then 2 weeks later, empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Powrprincess View Post
    Title says it all. If I'm one of the few who are only interested in classic, fine I probably won't pay it. To be honest, I think I got it right though. Why pay the full price for a game that is old and you've played it already? Also, I've seen a post somewhere that some costs that can be ascribed to a sub can be reduced. I believe split subs would only be fair to players like me, and hopefully you.
    And then it wouldn't. If you don't pay, don't play.
    It's easy really.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Two things,

First, I doubt the investors get the subscription numbers. All they get to see is revenue, because that's all that matters.

Second, Classic will add, in the long run, 100K players at most. There will be one huge, likely million-sized spike in participation in that game for the first few weeks, which is not going to affect subscriber numbers very much because many are going to be people who are already subbed to retail and want to see what the fuss is about, and then it's going to drop off very quickly because it's still a 14-year old game with 14-year old mechanics and design. It's not going to be the Second Coming of Green Jesus by a wide margin.
    For your first point, there are likely way more factors than the public has knowledge of.

For your second point, it is entirely speculation. There's no evidence to support how many players classic will actually attract. This entire thing is more of an experiment on Blizzard's end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixius View Post
    Maybe Classic will go that way one day (B2P client) if it flops with the dual sub?
    Considering it's tied into the main sub, the only way Classic will flop is if WoW itself flops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    I won't be paying for a sub for Classic just to artificially inflate Blizzard's shitty financials. Oh well.
    indeed, it will be a boring grind fest not worth it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    I'd like to see this challenged in court cause like I said I own the physical game. If I can legally take a Playstation 1 game and physically put it in my PC to play the game then I'm sure I can take my copy of WoW and use it to play on private servers.

Dark Souls online multiplayer is free on PC. Guild Wars 2 has free online multiplayer. You pay for the game but the online service is free. That's how it has always been on PC. Forget games like League of Legends or Fornite which are just free to play and own.

Terms of Service only applies to the service itself, but if you're not using the service then it doesn't apply to you. Again I'd like to see this challenged in court.

People on private servers don't care cause at some point they want to re-level another character and start over. You will get bored of farming Naxx and AQ40 you'll want to start over. Hence new realms get overpopulated like nuts and old realms have very little people left. It's part of the fun.

There are certain rules to software that isn't very clear, but yes you can modify copyright software if you own a physical copy. If you own a car and want to modify the copyright software on it, you can legally do that. Game modding is not illegal either, and that's also copyright software, but it is against the Terms of Service. So a game like GTAV is legal to mod if you don't go to the online multiplayer, but illegal if you log onto Rockstars servers. If you aren't using their servers you aren't breaking the ToS. It's called the first-sale doctrine.
    Go read the TOS you signed lol You don't own shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Why pay the full price for a game that is old and you've played it already?
    Seems you're not the target democratic then. "Why revive the game at all if it's old and already played through?" is my follow up question to this statement. Same reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    it's still a 14-year old game with 14-year old mechanics and design. It's not going to be the Second Coming of Green Jesus by a wide margin.
    Technically, it will be just that in a way. Part of the attraction of Classic (to me) is seeing the right orc in the throne room again.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    I made a post on the classicwow subreddit about this and got shouted down. Bizarrely imo.

I'd definitely rather a half price "Classic only" option. And I'd pay for 2, so Blizz would still get their total money.
    Imo what would be best is the reduced price for classic only and free with a current retail sub. Or - but I doubt that'd happen - a bigger reduction for current WoW subscribers, e.g. 5$ a month, and like 10$ for non-current subscribers.

When we talk business, imo the subscription cost should fit the target group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo what would be best is the reduced price for classic only and free with a current retail sub. Or - but I doubt that'd happen - a bigger reduction for current WoW subscribers, e.g. 5$ a month, and like 10$ for non-current subscribers.

When we talk business, imo the subscription cost should fit the target group.
    It DOES fit the target group... folks like yourself that dont want to pay for it aren't the target group.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    Seems you're not the target democratic then. "Why revive the game at all if it's old and already played through?" is my follow up question to this statement. Same reasoning.
    Good question. As for me, back in vanilla retail I had my own guild and raided MC and ZG. I didn't get to finish them sadly. I did later but of course with the level cap increased it was a joke. Now I can go back finishing what I started, that would be a reason for me to sub. On the other hand, I've leveled numerous characters in Azeroth and to be honest I got tired of it. I could still enjoy it, but it's not like in the old days when it was completely new and could immerse myself, unlike the current game which is rather the opposite of immersion. I'm totally cool with that, I just won't play it because when I do I soon start to wonder what I'm doing here. Classic is just my type of game.

I believe Blizzard has the money and power to make it the best classic mmorpg in the genre. That'd fit into their business model the most, as the current game is also the most played mmorpg. But in order to achieve that, they have to get the most subs and it'd mean investigating if there are many players like me longing not only for classic but also for the playstyle that belongs to it.