Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    so lets say i see a rogue witch is main counter to mage and want to gank it can i do it with frost mage ?

Quote Originally Posted by superblink View Post
    so lets say i see a rogue witch is main counter to mage and want to gank it can i do it with frost mage ?
    Rogue is not a counter to mage. Shadow priest is. Ofc you can gank rogues if you're good at getting them out of stealth.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    so mage dosen t have water elemental in wow clasic?
    i bet it wil suck in world pvp in wow clasic with no pet and 1 blink once the ataker gets to me im done
    Considering it was introduced in TBC, why would you think it was in Vanilla?
    We didn't even need Water Elemental back then, or at least, didn't know we needed it
    Last edited by Lupinemancer; 2018-11-13 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Nobody would remember as nobody played frost
    Yet another person who didn't play back then but acts like they did.

5+ Year Old Account
    @OP

Frost mages were the ultimate counter to melee in Vanilla. They did fine (some would say even OP) against melee, with the downside of being weak(er) against warlocks or shadow priests.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

If you don't suck. Rogues didn't have cloak in vanilla and blink broke stun. Frost armor also put on snares and could root with frostbite (https://classicdb.ch/?talent#o).

Wasn't there a popular video made, of a frost mage kiting around and eventually killing a warrior using primarily rank 1 frostbolt? IIRC the gmmick was that it did so little damage, the warrior had no rage to work with, and rank 1 still applied the full slow effect.

Quote Originally Posted by robotusch View Post
    Wasn't there a popular video made, of a frost mage kiting around and eventually killing a warrior using primarily rank 1 frostbolt? IIRC the gmmick was that it did so little damage, the warrior had no rage to work with, and rank 1 still applied the full slow effect.
    Rank 1 talented also had a 1 second cast time making ranged re-application easier vs the 2.5 second cast of max rank.

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#o

This is for the people who want to check for anything classic related, you can browse through the database to check class spells etc.

PS: R1 frostbolt did 20 damage and even with spell power it wouldn't be enough of a threat due to how scaling worked depending on the cast time, it would be impossible to kill the warrior using only R1 frostbolt, just kite him forever.
    Last edited by wholol; 2018-11-13 at 10:18 PM.

Nope, get ready for two tiers of frostbolt spam followed by 2 tiers of fireball spam with an occasional scorch thrown in.

Frost is superior for leveling and early game in Vanilla. Ice Barrier in particular is incredibly strong before health pools start to increase.

i bet it wil suck in world pvp in wow clasic with no pet and 1 blink once the ataker gets to me im done
    Look up Vurtne on youtube. Probably the best pvp mage in the world. He famously 1v2d two rogues in epic gear. It had to be staged because that's lol but the video is quite impressive. He does the 2nd rogue with less than 3% hp for like 20 seconds.
    Last edited by Jonnusthegreat; 2018-11-14 at 04:29 AM.

You made a thread, asking if water elementals were in classic. Next, you attempt to pass it off as a fact that Rogues are the main counter to mages. Why are you like this?

You have not established that Rogues are in fact the main counter, or even a good counter to mages. Watching youtube videos of Rogue pvp from back in the day is not a valid source. The author of the video, will without fail show himself in a best as possible light. The rogues in these videos will face unskilled opponents, under geared opponents, unprepared opponents, in talents poorly suited for pvp or a combination of the mentioned. In addition, the author will almost always experience very unrealistic luck.

Anyone can record for 20-30 days, and with the power of editing. Make it look as if the class they are playing is extremely powerful and/or make it look like they are extremely skilled. When in reality. Statistics dictate that at some point, you're gonna crit 5 times in a row.

Mage is one of the most powerful classes in classic wow for pvp, and while Rogues are good and can beat mages. They are by no means favored, provided both players are roughly matched in skill and gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    As most Melees lacked gap closer, Mage will be fine in PvP.

Warriors only had one "in combat" charge every 20-30 seconds (intercept).
    Rogues had no Shadowstep, Sprint had a 3-5(?) Minute CD and only removed snares via a combat talent, also no cloak.
    Enhance couldn't just switch into GW, snare surpression was introduced in Wotlk.
    Pallies were a joke anyway without interrupt, snare or gapcloser.
    subt rogue vs frost mage could be very fun, both classes had good counters to the other. a lot between 2 decent players would come down to what was on cd for whom. once rogue is snared with no escapes, he better be engineer and throw bombs/grenades!
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-11-14 at 06:11 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Be aware that the classic talent trees you see in current calculators are those of patch 1.12. A lot of significant changes happened to mages starting from 1.0 to 1.12. Before 1.12 18 points in Arcane were necessary for every single mage because you needed evocation and instant cast arcane explosion!

As the beginning of WoW, with most bosses in MC, BWL and Onyxia being immune to fire you would either be 31/0/20 or 18/0/33 specced. You had no other choice. Later on in AQ fire mages began to rise with a 31/20/0 or 21/30/0 spec (combustion was shit).

In 1.12 with evocation and instant AE becoming baseline, different additional options opened up: elemental build with all fire goodies and shatter (0/31/20 or 0/30/21), a scorch build (15/30/3 +3), an Arcane/Frost build with alternating AM and frostbolt but without shatter (31/0/18 +2), ...

Quote Originally Posted by pay928 View Post
    If you don't suck. Rogues didn't have cloak in vanilla and blink broke stun. Frost armor also put on snares and could root with frostbite (https://classicdb.ch/?talent#o).
    You also had fireball DoT ticks which would prevent them from successfully re-stealthing.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'll be surprised :3

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    You have no choice in Molten core, BWL, and Ony... the mobs are all immune to fire
    They're resistant to fire, not immune.

Quote Originally Posted by Relikk View Post
    They're resistant to fire, not immune.
    Most mobs are immune to fire.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Didnt come out till TBC and even then it was on a CD so wasnt up 24/7 as it is now.

PVP Frost mage it would be Frostbolt at range or you would be doing Frost nove, Cone of Cold, Arcane explosion..... i always preferred playing POM Pyro spec