Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If it's your group and or guild and invited them, you have every right to speak your native tongue. If it's the other way around and they invited you to the group then you should know how to communicate in their language.

Pretty simple stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because it's impolite to use a language not all party members can use. Some people will be bothered, some won't. But it isn't the nicest feeling to be among people who are not willing to communicate with you. It's all up to preferences really. You have full right to communicate within your group the way you all agree on and if you want someone else to join simply make sure they are ok with that. If they are not ok there is no reason for them to play with you. I more often than not play with Poles and we speak in Polish but if someone from the outside joins I either switch to English or try to ask if that person is ok for us to speak in Polish. It all can work as long as communication is agreed on when the group is forming.

Let me ask, did you write your group finder description in english and then were baffled when people expected you guys to be communicating in english?
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2018-11-15 at 01:25 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    You don't need discord to do HC, even Ghuun. If you can't speak english, nor have a guild who can't, then you're gonna have to accept that a lot of players that you will come across won't speak your language. I'm pretty sure you can filter out languages so you don't see those players / they don't see your group.

More than the LA players being uneducated, the problem is also of the US players, who dont know spanish or other languages and are... i'll dont say racist, but xenophobic towards latinos. Back in the day, before we had our own LA servers, i saw some guilds called "Border Patrol" or "Dont speak taco" and the behaviour of the US players was toxic as can be. I faced discrimination because the US players treated me as a mexican () or believed that every latin american player is the same, and thats not the case. We dont even have the same culture, even between south american countries, an argentinian player is completely different than a chilean one, and the chilean will be completely different to a peruvian one... and do not make me start with the brazilians or the mexicans.

The great problem with latin america is the bad educational systems of their countries, in some cases there are as bad as the 'murican ones. So, most of them will speak only one language and also, their vocabulary will be limited to 1000 words or less. (yeah my wife says that im like Uncle Ruckus, but against latinos )

Quote Originally Posted by Triginhil View Post
    I blame the LFG feature back in WotLK, we used to get paired up with Portuguese players that would just wipe or die on purpose. We'd try to communicate with them but of course they didn't understand us. I tried to explain things to them since I speak Spanish as well, hoping that some words would be similar enough for them to understand but nope, eventually the whole group would just bail. Years of that left a bad taste in players mouths about not inviting non-english speaking players to their groups
    I abandoned the game at that time, it was hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    So much this. You can find almost everything and anything in english on the net. For your work, for your hobbies and what not. Even if you decide to learn some other languages, english should be baseline by now.
    Thanks to Blizzard (yes, Blizzard games taught me english xD) in university i used mostly papers on english on my investigations, that was a BIG advantage because 99% of the students only could get the shitty ones on spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Hahaha, funny how a spanish guy tries to point at Brazillians demanding people to speak Portuguese.
    Have you -EVER- met a Spaniard? (and yes that is sarcastic). The vast majority of them don't know a single word other than Spanish. I don't think their educational system has the capacity to teach them anything but Spanish. And yes, I come in contact with that type of Spaniards on a daily basis, they seem to think everyone knows Spanish because somehow it's the most spoken language in the world (news flash, it's not, not even close)

You made my day with the whole pot and kettle thing, that was funny af.

Dude, im chilean, and im pretty acid towards the spaniards xD, i find them... hilariously uneducated considering they are from Europe. Also their accent is just hilarious and their dubbing of the game its pretty bad, lmao. I learned english playing Ultima Online and WOW (i play since 2005), im only playing in LA servers because of my wife, who dont speak a bit of english but is slowly learning. I raided in Smolderthorn back in the day, on an US-based guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    I never had an issue with it, but I live in CA, where if you don't know at least a couple words of Spanish, you're just doing it wrong. I've picked up a few words in other languages by playing online games, I think it's fun - but I know there's a lot of uptight idiots out there. My family moved out of the country when I was young, so I got to see the world outside of the US, where English is not the norm. I remember a family vacation to Greece where I hung out for a week with a French kid, and a German kid, and none of us could speak each other's languages, but we knew enough to communicate by the end of the week. Instead of acting like these dumb players and stomping off to my English only hotel room, I had a blast.
    Californians tend to be pretty chill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    You don't need discord to do HC, even Ghuun. If you can't speak english, nor have a guild who can't, then you're gonna have to accept that a lot of players that you will come across won't speak your language. I'm pretty sure you can filter out languages so you don't see those players / they don't see your group.
    No, you cannot filter the language on US-LA-HUE servers.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    Or you could just leave. Either you understand them or you don´t. You could ask if they speak english or would be so nice to speak english if not, then just leave. For all i know you could be russian. Take it or leave it, it is simple as that.

Because not everyone knows English? I'm Spanish and I can tell that the average English level in my country is low, like, reaaaaaaaally low. But a lot of English-speaking people seem to be incapable of understanding that not everyone must know their language. If someone doesn't use English in this game, maybe is because they simply don't know English, not a refuse to use it.

I don't like playing with people who can't speak English because I can't tell them what to do and they can't tell me anything either. I don't get upset I just avoid those groups.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varleen View Post
    Because not everyone knows English? I'm Spanish and I can tell that the average English level in my country is low, like, reaaaaaaaally low. But a lot of English-speaking people seem to be incapable of understanding that not everyone must know their language. If someone doesn't use English in this game, maybe is because they simply don't know English, not a refuse to use it.
    I think Spanish is the #3 most spoken language in the world (fun fact) what country do you live in?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas View Post
    Okay, so people who want to learn English can do this and broaden the sources of information that are available to them. I agree. But people who don't want to do this, for whatever reason, that doesn't concern anyone but themselves, don't have to and if you are speaking Arabic, Italian, German or French, and I'm sure that is true for more languages, you don't have to do this for every hobby, especially when it comes to sports, local history, cuisine or social engagement on a communal, regional and national level.
    You can surely be happy in your local basketball team, but even then you will most likely to watch the NBA, or will have a favourite NBA player. The nature of "local stuff" is that there is always a bigger fish. A better fish you can learn from. If you want to look for tips and tricks you will have to look in the whole world. There is no reason not to. But people still actively fight against it, and be like "one another stuff to learn in school, and learning sucks". My son is 15. His schoolmates are just like that. While they whine all day about not wanting to learn another language, my son watches Titans in english because it is not available in our language (yet?), and he is more interested in it than he is lazy to work his brain to understand it. It's like technology and "old people". If they start using it early, they will grow up using it all the time and it becomes natural. I don't even look for sources in my language anymore, I start with english.

Never had issues with bringing people in to fill spots in my old danish guild. We would speak danish after I had told them what we were going to do in english.

To be fair. Communication is a big thing in this game. If you are trying to raid with people who speak english and they ask you to speak english, and you refuse or don't speak it, then yeah, they are gonna get angry. Perhaps you should stick with your own guild raiding and recruit people you can communicate with. Communication is a big thing for this game. (And I am not trying to be rude. I am trying to see both sides) If you aren't willing to communicate with your party, you shouldn't raid with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I don't like playing with people who can't speak English because I can't tell them what to do and they can't tell me anything either. I don't get upset I just avoid those groups.
    I don't mind if english isn't your first language, but if we are trying to communicate and you can't understand, it's gonna be an issue. From what I've seen on the US Realms? People hate raiding with people who refuse to communicate (It's really every raider on any realm)

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    Contact discord, tell them you have contacted @Deplatformhate with your evidents. And tell discord if they value their partnership with paypal, etc.. they should ban those far right racists within 24 hours.
    I love that no one caught this obvious sarcastic hyperbolic troll and are instead treating it seriously.

Fuckin' Poe's Law, eh?

Anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    we were looking for some people to fill group for ghuun heroic and some people joined and asked to be on discord... we dont speak english on discord and we tried to explain to them we dont speak english and we wont speak english for a few players when we are not english speaking guild, we have some members who cant even speak more than very basic... why do people get so angry when u tell them u wont speak english so there is no point for them to join discord?
    This seems like a whiney blog. You could've just kicked the guy or said 'sorry for not putting we speak X language' in the title / description. Either would've worked. Instead you're blogging on MMO C.

Stop it. Get some help.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    I'm sure the cultural imperialist apologists all speak fluent 한국어/**말 or Mandarin when they play LoL.

While I think people who think everyone should speak English are wrong. The number of national speakers don't really matter as opposed to 1. Over all number of speakers , 2. The actual nations who speak what language among others.

If you have the words largest Population but only your people speak your language it's not a great baisis for transnational communication

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    To me the better question is, how can you be so arrogant to expect everyone to speak your language
    Uh, English is a good standard for everyone to be able to speak with.... well, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    To me the better question is, how can you be so arrogant to expect everyone to speak your language and not give a rats ass to learn a second language at all. I am looking at you USA...
    I seem to recall in order to graduate high school in the US you must pass two courses in the same foreign language. I chose Japanese upto intermediate and basic Latin... I find etymology fascinating. As for why we expect everyone to learn English... English has become the defacto trade language across multiple international boundaries. Seems like practical business acumen to strive to be part of that... if you enjoy commerce with other countries that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    You can surely be happy in your local basketball team, but even then you will most likely to watch the NBA, or will have a favourite NBA player. The nature of "local stuff" is that there is always a bigger fish. A better fish you can learn from. If you want to look for tips and tricks you will have to look in the whole world. There is no reason not to. But people still actively fight against it, and be like "one another stuff to learn in school, and learning sucks". My son is 15. His schoolmates are just like that. While they whine all day about not wanting to learn another language, my son watches Titans in english because it is not available in our language (yet?), and he is more interested in it than he is lazy to work his brain to understand it. It's like technology and "old people". If they start using it early, they will grow up using it all the time and it becomes natural. I don't even look for sources in my language anymore, I start with english.
    The bolded part is simply not true, you just picked a sport that is particularly popular in the USA and act like this is true for everything I listed. In addition only a minuscule part of humans are able and want to compete in international Sports. Your average Joe will just watch the games of his national league of whatever sport is most popular in his country and maybe play sometimes with his friends. For history, tradition and cuisine what you said is also not true at all. Sure, there are some experts in such fields in other countries, but if you want to make or eat a authentic Pizza you travel to Naples. The best books about the thirty years war are in German, because most of the war was fought in regions were historical documents have been written in German and most of this documents still are in German or Czech archives. Social engagement on the levels I listed in my post have also no need for the English language, as long as you are not living in a English speaking part of the world.
    And you using primarily English sources is not a good or a bad thing, you are not more sophisticated for doing that. Academia uses English as a fingua franca, to simplify communication, but no one I know would prefer a English source to a more original source from another language, if that person is able to understand that language.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Same can be said for any country
    That is the point I'm trying to make.
    Last edited by George Lucas; 2018-11-15 at 02:21 PM.

I still think we should learn the six languages of the UN in the US: Arabic (Modern Standard Arabic), Chinese (Written character: Simplified Chinese),
    English, (British English with Oxford spelling), French, Russian, and Spanish.

If you can do this chances are very high you can speak to anyone else in the world.

Eh, I once joined a heroic and pretended I was French and kept typing in just French (wrong, I only took 3 years of French in H.S and I DON'T speak it or write/type it fluently) and the other people in the run were just laughing and having a good time.

Then again I kept posting things like "je ne pas parle engleis, je avec un pene grand." They really believed I was French.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post

I think Spanish is the #3 most spoken language in the world (fun fact) what country do you live in?
    Spain. Good luck finding someone over their 50s here that even knows English. Even people under their 30s have a really bad English on average, since they only learned a bit in High School and since they don't need to use it they have forgotten it.

10+ Year Old Account
    stupidity, i was expecting a different story, but from what u tell, it is their fault
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power