Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    i mean, if your whole group is speaking spanish, and the english speaker is being an asshole about it, just kick and block him. Unfortunately idiots are everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    we were looking for some people to fill group for ghuun heroic and some people joined and asked to be on discord... we dont speak english on discord and we tried to explain to them we dont speak english and we wont speak english for a few players when we are not english speaking guild, we have some members who cant even speak more than very basic... why do people get so angry when u tell them u wont speak english so there is no point for them to join discord?
    The issue is, now because this was your group it's slightly different and you should have put that you weren't going to speak English, many players from BR realms such as Ragnaros, Azralon, Gallywix, ect have put a terrible stigma on anyone who isn't a complete terrible player. A lot of the time it's easier to instantly decline anyone from those realms then to hope you're getting the 1% of the server that's actually decent and can actually understand English. But the stigma comes because they're either bad at the game, don't speak English, or both. In my experience it's easier to just not play with these servers if I have the option, because even if they're not good and you want to explain what they did wrong or how to improve they often either don't understand you or tell you that it's someone elses fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I have an app on my phone that can translate between spoken English and Spanish. I don't see why a universal text translator should be a problem for a billion dollar company like Blizzard. I have seen some other games that choked trying to translate Arabic to English, and sometimes there's just not a direct translation for a word like schadenfreude, but as long as they put a disclaimer in that translations will not be perfect it could help reduce some of the toxicity. A voice translator, however, could eat processor time.

As far as I know the german education system teaches english from the 4th grade to at least the 10th grade. That is six years of school english for everyone. I'm a bit older and that changed in the last years but I had english courses from 6th grade to 10th grade. In my two years of vocational school. In my three years as trainee and another three years at the university. And all the time I did not need it once.

There was simply no need to learn it for me. Movies and series were dubbed. I didn't travel much and if I traveled someone would speak german there. All my friends were german, all my wow server spoke only german, something like the group finder didn't exist. I grow up in a small town of 4.000 people and noone ever spoke english to me.

It was a dead language to me that I had to learn. I didn't want to. Well that all changed of course. Otherwise I wouldn't create this post. I started traveling around the world, wow got more and more international in europe as far as if you don't speak english you will never play on a high level. I started a job in the tech industry and all information is almost exclusively available in english and so on.

That people from germany don't speak english at all is hard to believe for me but remembering were I'm coming from there could be places were this is the case. If we pug in group finder there are situations were everyone in the group writes in english until someone points out that we are all happen to be german. And even then some people forget about it and just continue in english later on.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    Well, the best way to solve this issue is to have a set guild team that meets at a set time, so that you aren't having to get pugs into your group. I don't know how Asian servers work, but if English is the common language among nationalities, then it's probably best to accommodate that when you pug.
    we dont play on asian server... its only taiwanese server there... we play on oceanic servers... we are a thai only guild...

You need a common language to communicate effectively. Seems relatively simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most normal people don't care actually, especially if they are in a minority. Sounds like you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

That said it is my understanding that people typically like to communicate in English because it is far less complicated and convoluted than some other languages. I have two dutch friends for example who talk to each other in English even if I am not on voice coms.

10+ Year Old Account
    we dont play on asian server... its only taiwanese server there... we play on oceanic servers... we are a thai only guild...
    Okay, then all I can say is that you need to recruit more Thai members who actually show up for the raid so that you don't need to fill spots with pugs. I think you'll find that most pugs don't want to do G'Huun without comms, as the fight isn't a pushover yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    Contact discord, tell them you have contacted @Deplatformhate with your evidents. And tell discord if they value their partnership with paypal, etc.. they should ban those far right racists within 24 hours.
    Extremist alert.

Communication is sometimes a thing people prefer. That's not racism, you nutcase.

I agree, if you are on NA servers speak English or don't play on NA servers. I have nothing against other languages, and I personally know 2 other languages but English is the primary language of NA.

That being said there is no reason for people to be irrational dicks about stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    It is not about which language is more important. For all I care it could be any language that is relatively easy to learn to be "the language of the globe". It happens to be english, so what? For me it's whatever, my own language stand no chance to be popular with our 8 million people and economy and what not. So in order to open up the world for myself I have to learn another language.
    IMO dismissing a world wide platform just because someone doesn't like to learn languages is kinda narrow sighted. Just like with tech stuff. "Oh, I just breed cows, why would I need computers for that?".
    Well ofcourse i do learn other languages then my native dutch tongue, that is not the point. I can speak english and german, and at the moment french has caught my attention. But nonetheless if you join a group who speaks a different language then you, then you are at their mercy to speak a language you understand. Mostly out of politeness i automatically speak english since i mostly have english speaking company. But one should not be entitled to demand from other to speak ones language. C´est ca *dang keyboard hahaha*.

we were looking for some people to fill group for ghuun heroic and some people joined and asked to be on discord... we dont speak english on discord and we tried to explain to them we dont speak english and we wont speak english for a few players when we are not english speaking guild, we have some members who cant even speak more than very basic... why do people get so angry when u tell them u wont speak english so there is no point for them to join discord?
    Because communication is important and anything that handicaps the group's communication is not fun. That includes whatever real life situations, whatever reason. This is 2018, there's no reason not to learn english. It's not my first language either but languages are the tool for communication, if you don't have the right tools then there's a problem and the only solution is to get the tools you are missing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonazak View Post
    My main language its spanish, i talk a bit of english and i despise the people that cannot communicate in any language. I have seen people from Ragnaros that suffers severe autism that cannot follow instructions on english or even spanish...and the incapacity of people to communicate its a pain in the ass. So, its just normal that people get upset about it, if you are pugging people from engliah speaking servers, at least have one educated person that can communicate using that language in your group.

But that, english its the latin of the modern era, if you cannot communicate on it, you cannot.progress irl. And in games, next time search for people from your server :]

You never have played with brazilians? These guys believe that everyone must speak portuguese, do not understand instructions even if you use google-translate them into huehuehue, and most of the time, they have problems playing the most basic content of the game.

So, that.

A la gente le molesta jugar con personas a las que no pueden entender, si no hay comunicacion, aumenta la probabilidad de wipear por estupideces xD.
    Severe autism cant be for sure... Or they wouldnt be able to paly this game.

Anyway. If people play in english servers and are looking for party members. Maybe they should speak english?

And tbh... These guys were looking for randoms to fill up the group and looked for them in english servers and refuse to speak english. Its just stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    In this case, this would go for both parties. If them not wanting to play with someone not speaking English is racist, then so is the others refusing to speak English. Not gonna get far with this
    Oh please people stop over using the word "racist", what does it mean anyway. Have you looked up the meaning of the word in the dictionary? Let's call it lazy or bigoted behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by dtruth View Post
    the better question is how can you live in a first world country and not know fluent english? im looking at you germany
    why? explain pleaseu

a good part of germanys population had russian as their 2nd language in school.

and spanish is becoming more popular in schools than englisch, because more people speak spanish than english in the world. And in Europe, the only english speaking country is moving away from the Union, so it wont even be a language of the EU, so even for politicians and officials it loses importance. In the USA, spanish speakers will be te majority in a few decades, and in the rest of america, spanish is the most spoken language. I think u strongly overestimate the importance of english language.
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2018-11-15 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Just ignorant people who thinks everyone can speak English so they do not need to learn another language. Given that the game is made in the US and English is the primary language used in the game, they expect everyone who plays the game must know English.

Just ignore those people.
    Learning english isn't like being born a ginger, it's a decision. You have the choice to learn it or not. When you realize the vast majority of non english speaking countries learn english to better comunicate, maybe it's time to get the memo. It's has nothing to do with "people who were born englsih have an advantage" and shit like that. It's about what you can do to make the situation better, and that is to have 1 language used by everybody. Once that's done, everyone who knows 2 languages has an advantage over the english born.

It's all about being useful, stop acting like if english isn't you're first language you're oppressed, that's ridiculous. It's actually an oportunity to better yourself and have more valuable life skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Just ignorant people who thinks everyone can speak English so they do not need to learn another language. Given that the game is made in the US and English is the primary language used in the game, they expect everyone who plays the game must know English.

Just ignore those people.
    i remember a rule on some english speaking international forums, if a poster didn't specify location of stuff happening - it's US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    why? explain please.

My sister in law is full German(brother met and married her in Germany), and she was taught English as a 2nd language in her school. She is in her 30's, and have no idea where she went to school. I forget off top of my head which town she grew up in. It's like an hour outside of Spangdahlem Air Base.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Gotta love the leftist mentality.
    That's not even leftist.

It's the online equivalent of shooting up a pizza parlor because Alex Jones said there were kids being traffic'd there.

It's beyond politics. It's just pure crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    why? explain please.

In the 70s and early 80s right? I'm from a more eastern and more southern, considerably smaller country which was in "russian hands", and even we had the chance to learn english from the end of the '80s, earl '90s. Most of the guys we are talking about weren't even born for another decade. I assume we aren't talking about 35-40 year old people here?