Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Solo PVE - where there any other then gold farm?

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I like healing but when i mained a Holy Pally in TBC i couldn't stand questing / solo PVE farm in that spec, and there where quite a bit of it with dailies and rep farm and what not. And respeccing was really expensive.
    So i was left either poor or unhappy

Did you have to do any of that on lvl 60 in Vanilla? or was it only (mostly) PVE dungeons/raids - PVP?

All i've been thinking about when chosing main is to have the ability to solo PVE while also perform good in a group/pvp in the same spec - but perhaps i'm thinking about this the wrong way cuz of TBC stuff? ^^

Yeah, I played hpal as my primary alt in Vanilla and TBC, its pretty much bottom-of-the-pack for solo farming/questing. If you can collect a set of physical dps gear, it speeds things up somewhat even if you are still holy spec, especially while leveling. I mained warrior though, so I usually wanted to stick to the hpal class fantasy when I was on that character for variety's sake, despite the glacial pace. On the other hand, healadins could typically make friends pretty easily, so you may be able to find a farming partner who appreciates the buffs and safety.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider Hunter. You can kite a lot of stuff as a hunter with Concussive Shot, Wingclip, traps etc. Keep everything at a distance while you peal off their health.

I solo'd a lot of stuff back then on my hunter, like the rares/elites and stuff. Once you get the hang of kiting and the hunter toolkit you can do quite amazing things. I never played a mage but I guess the same goes for them with all the slows, blink etc.

Like Solo PVE? Play Skyrim or Witcher.
    Or BfA.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    Like Solo PVE? Play Skyrim or Witcher.
    Or BfA.
    Haha - No i dont like it at all, my question was if there was alot of it at max lvl in Vanilla? Did you spend much time out in the world doing stuff on your own or was it more of a rare thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Consider Hunter. You can kite a lot of stuff as a hunter with Concussive Shot, Wingclip, traps etc. Keep everything at a distance while you peal off their health.

I solo'd a lot of stuff back then on my hunter, like the rares/elites and stuff. Once you get the hang of kiting and the hunter toolkit you can do quite amazing things. I never played a mage but I guess the same goes for them with all the slows, blink etc.
    I have been considering a hunter, alot! - but only for the fact that they are strong on their own. Deep down i'm more of a support-player then a solo-God.

I love the Paladin Lore - but i think the class is just a bit too boring to play solo. Perhaps Priests / druids are better

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgh View Post
    I have a bit of a dilemma.

I like healing but when i mained a Holy Pally in TBC i couldn't stand questing / solo PVE farm in that spec, and there where quite a bit of it with dailies and rep farm and what not. And respeccing was really expensive.
    So i was left either poor or unhappy

Did you have to do any of that on lvl 60 in Vanilla? or was it only (mostly) PVE dungeons/raids - PVP?

All i've been thinking about when chosing main is to have the ability to solo PVE while also perform good in a group/pvp in the same spec - but perhaps i'm thinking about this the wrong way cuz of TBC stuff? ^^
    Holy paladin with consecration (mandatory holy talent) can probably solo flower packs in Diremaul East, making alot of gold/hour. Kind-of the same as mages.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Well, as for me I made my decision to go mage. They have big advantages over other classes such as conjuring food/water and portals (At least I hope they had portals in vanilla). Was thinking about rogue because of stealth and stuns but yeh

Deleted
    If you're intending on raiding then flasks, pots etc all become serious costs to you, so you'll need to be spending pretty much most of your non-raid time solo on either grinding the money or mats for these, or, if you're in a good guild, grinding gold/mats for the guild itself. Plus solo grinding your reps of course.

Some progression guilds would expect you to not only be fully flasked, potting etc. but also make a contribution to the repair funds etc. In vanilla the choice at progression guilds was to spend around 8 hours a week farming these, or just spend 10 bucks and buy the gold. However this was before the days of guilds selling services for in-game gold, and in an environment where guilds can do that, as soon as a 40 man guild has Molten Core on Farm I would expect that they'll quickly switch to selling 3-5 places to fund further guild progression.

Yeti Cave just south of Winterspring. Leather from skinning, and runecloth drops, coins and the occasional item.

(Many Yetis died to bring you this wisdom.)
    Last edited by mmocb687a72763; 2018-11-20 at 08:38 AM.

Many healers or bad grinding specs in general in vanilla had a alt for making money, usually a mage or hunter due to this exact problem.

It may be in your best interest to level your Paladin and potentially level a hunter since you stated possible interest after you get to 60. It's time consuming but its probably the best option out there.

1. Pick up Alchemy
    2. Farm mats to make potions, flasks, and elixirs to use yourself, which saves you a ton of gold from the beginning, and also to sell to raiders for way more than they're actually worth.

I had way more than enough gold to buy my epic riding skill before I even hit level 60 doing this.

Deleted
    Pick Herbalism and Alchemy. Farm herbs and sell flasks/posts and make a lot of money. Why bother with mob grinds (there were no dailies) when you can make so much more with professions.

Your a paladin. Wear a dress. Consecrate more , pull more.

Or you could sell boosts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbh5...tR1kpjupOVtqDd

Forget about farming. All the good farming spots are well known and there will be 3 billion players in each one. Without sharding and without whack-a-mole dynamic respawns it's gonna be terrible. Also nodes in vanilla were not like today, everywhere you look 3 billion mining nodes and 3 billion flowers. Forget about farming herbs...

You can farm lashers in DM East no problem.

You can heal/tank Strat Live for righteous orbs. (sell for anywhere between 15-25g each on the AH depending on demand)

You can still farm mining/herbalism no problem.

There is no class that is "bad" at farming, or unable to farm.

i AOE farmed as frost mage

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're holy spec, just level herb along with alch. You'll be rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Forget about farming. All the good farming spots are well known and there will be 3 billion players in each one. Without sharding and without whack-a-mole dynamic respawns it's gonna be terrible. Also nodes in vanilla were not like today, everywhere you look 3 billion mining nodes and 3 billion flowers. Forget about farming herbs...
    We'll have dynamic spawn rates, herbing will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sirethas View Post
    Well, as for me I made my decision to go mage. They have big advantages over other classes such as conjuring food/water
    It's not that big of an advantage really since other casters don't really need water/food when leveling while mages have to drink every other pull.
    Last edited by Mushkins; 2018-11-20 at 02:48 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    It's not that big of an advantage really since other casters don't really need water/food when leveling while mages have to drink every other pull.
    Perhaps not so much while lvl'ing. But damn i drank alot in dungeons as a healer. And if we didn't have a mage i'd have to get my own water wich could be expensive

Vanilla had some creative outside-the-box playstyles that Blizzard would stomp on and extinguish (when they could have instead been turned into official variations or new genres). One of the more interesting ones was a solo PvE mode where Blizzard would open new realms once per month that were blocked from transfers, and then players would flock there as soon as it opened to race each other to level 60. That had some popularity and Blizzard could have looked at that and incorporated it into the game in a more official way, maybe used it to expand on the leveling game. Instead Blizz just killed it.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Vanilla had some creative outside-the-box playstyles that Blizzard would stomp on and extinguish (when they could have instead been turned into official variations or new genres). One of the more interesting ones was a solo PvE mode where Blizzard would open new realms once per month that were blocked from transfers, and then players would flock there as soon as it opened to race each other to level 60. That had some popularity and Blizzard could have looked at that and incorporated it into the game in a more official way, maybe used it to expand on the leveling game. Instead Blizz just killed it.
    Any kind of "60 race" is not a test of knowledge or skill, but instead a test of who can poosock and pull all nighters more than anyone else.

That's why they "killed it". There's no skill involved, just a test of who can no-life the hardest.

Oh, and because Hunter completely blows every other class out of the water in terms of leveling speed.