Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

A lore nerd thing from 8.1 that no one is talking about (no Sylvanas in this thread!)

During Legion, everyone and their mothers were mostly discussing about the DK class campaign and how Bolvar the Lich king was behaving during it. I'm sure y'all seen those threads. Which is why I find it most surprising that no one's been talking about the most recent turn of events regarding the Leet king: they nerfed his voice.

He no longer has the "I'm very evil deep voice" he was using in Legion. Now he has a "I am just a human holding all the damned at bay" voice.

So are they just gonna ditch all the legion DK campaign stuff in the lorebin or what? Kinda seems like it.

I really dislike his new voice and I especially dislike how we're apparently going to ignore everything he pulled in Legion and present the Lich King, literally an alien infused with dark power by interplanar demons who nearly destroyed the world as a keeper of balance who we're supposed to listen to the opinions of. The Legion version of the Lich King was legitimately the best version of the character since WC3 and they're ready to bin it for the sake of their Mists 2.0 plot.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'm not sure - the voice is different, but it still have a decidedly non-human reverb and his last words are an implied threat to everyone present. This doesn't seem like a massive change in characterization from Legion to me.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    During Legion, everyone and their mothers were mostly discussing about the DK class campaign and how Bolvar the Lich king was behaving during it. I'm sure y'all seen those threads. Which is why I find it most surprising that no one's been talking about the most recent turn of events regarding the Leet king: they nerfed his voice.

He no longer has the "I'm very evil deep voice" he was using in Legion. Now he has a "I am just a human holding all the damned at bay" voice.

So are they just gonna ditch all the legion DK campaign stuff in the lorebin or what? Kinda seems like it.
    He sounds exactly like he did in the ICC ending cinematics before he put the helm on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    He sounds exactly like he did in the ICC ending cinematics before he put the helm on.
    Exactly. Kinda weird that they did a full 360 with that.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    I like it. Reminds me of Arthas' Lich King voice before it was changed in Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I really dislike his new voice and I especially dislike how we're apparently going to ignore everything he pulled in Legion and present the Lich King, literally an alien infused with dark power by interplanar demons who nearly destroyed the world as a keeper of balance who we're supposed to listen to the opinions of. The Legion version of the Lich King was legitimately the best version of the character since WC3 and they're ready to bin it for the sake of their Mists 2.0 plot.
    Is there more dialog from him in BfA than this video? Because this seems on line with his Legion behavior. Like he's saying here's some facts about what's going on, now get the fuck out of my lawn before I shoot. I supposed the main difference being that Legion LK would probably be telling you things while shooting.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Deleted
    I don't really consider the voice as a lore thing. He still says some pretty threatening shit. I still definitely reckon he'll be a raid boss before the game closes

Sounds like a Dark Templar?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    I like it. Reminds me of Arthas' Lich King voice before it was changed in Wrath.

Is there more dialog from him in BfA than this video? Because this seems on line with his Legion behavior. Like he's saying here's some facts about what's going on, now get the fuck out of my lawn before I shoot. I supposed the main difference being that Legion LK would probably be telling you things while shooting.
    This is the extent of his appearance I think. The voice annoys me a lot just because I really loved the Legion and Wrath one. The Legion LK really hearkened back to when the character was at his best as this kind of lingering presence that ruled over the undead, operating through proxies and advancing his master plan. His current voice just isn't as credibly threatening and him complaining about balance comes across as weak. My reading of Bolvar in Legion was that he didn't aim at balance at all, since he didn't trust someone like Sylvanas or the Legion to not go full retard with their powers so wanted to monopolize undeath as much as possible, hence Jailor of the Damned.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

good thing tbh,the Legion DK campaign was a spit in the face of all the established ebon blade lore for the sake of making ebon knights into edgy psychopaths with a murderboner,you know,the exact thing they swore to never be again

Sounds like some generic Starcraft aliendude.

There has been discussion about it before, but it didn't really go anywhere, I don't think.

Given how recently (Legion) they had his normal voice, it would appear there's some reason for them to go with this more Bolvar-sounding voice. I couldn't say what it is, but I don't imagine it would have been that hard to modulate the voice to where it was - the new voice just doesn't have the same degree of editing, so it seems intentional.

It may be Bolvar is starting to get his own sense of self back - my fan theory is the being that traded eyes with Odyn was using the Lich King as a foothold into the world of life, so if that entity has backed off it might suggest it has found another way to affect the living world.

Unless Alex Afrasiabi is retconning more stuff(cause "I've been writing shit I don't remember since 2006") I'd say that he's lying to us. I know, it's crazy... lore characters not telling the truth?? But that's where we get so much of our canon sources from!!!

I don't know exactly who's present, but I'd imagine that this is him putting on an act for the non DKs that are there, and that only DK players will notice something's up. Would be interesting if there was added dialogue if a DK player does the quest, like the Lich King whispers to you "Yo, how you gonna bring these snitches to my house??".

If this however is them just ignoring all of this shit he did in Legion(which makes no sense since Alliance own Stromgarde because of him) and they're trying to make him be a character that cares about the Balance... then yeah this is horseshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    My thoughts exactly... Sounds exactly like a Dark Templar... Lame.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    "lore nerd"

The actual Lore Nerds didn't comment much about it because they are well aware that Blizzard simply could've forgotten to use the correct voice for him. Or maybe this voice actor was cheaper. Or even better: Blizzard finaly realized that Bolvar sounding like Arthas / Paw Rugg didn't make sense.

Lore Nerds know that they shouldn't view too much into this. Also, this doesn't invalidate the Legion lore progress.

Strange to change it after he sounded like the Lich King all through Legion.

I do notice a distinct reverb effect added though. Almost like a second voice behind his. Intentional?

Still better than the vanilla one. Don't understand why they changed it though. First Saurfang, now this. Really weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Since thats exactly what he was in Legion, i have no idea what you're even on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I really dislike his new voice and I especially dislike how we're apparently going to ignore everything he pulled in Legion
    God im so sick of this fannon headcannon bullshit. WHAT stuff he pulled in Legion?

I played the DK campaign. In fact, it was easily my favorite of the entire set. But IT DID NOT paint Bolvar as the supah-evil-laughing-madman everyone and their brother seems to present. Maybe actually pay attention to what the fuck really happened.

and present the Lich King, literally an alien infused with dark power by interplanar demons who nearly destroyed the world as a keeper of balance who we're supposed to listen to the opinions of.
    Except there have been three Lich Kings. One was (i guess, technically, an "alien" - an Orc) infused with dark power by Demons. The next one was a fallen Paladin who utterly destroyed the "alien" and took his power. Then, that guy was destroyed and replaced with Bolvar Fordragon.

Keep your shit straight.

The Legion version of the Lich King was legitimately the best version of the character since WC3 and they're ready to bin it for the sake of their Mists 2.0 plot.
    Doesn't seem to me like he's changed one iota.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Is there more dialog from him in BfA than this video? Because this seems on line with his Legion behavior.
    Pretty much 100% EXACTLY in line with his Legion behaviour.

Like he's saying here's some facts about what's going on, now get the fuck out of my lawn before I shoot. I supposed the main difference being that Legion LK would probably be telling you things while shooting.
    Not really. Legion LK didn't shoot the mages on sight when they came to claim Felo'melorn. He just said "if you die, ill add you to the Scourge, so you should watch yourself".

This is totally in keeping with Bolvar's attitude throughout Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    If this however is them just ignoring all of this shit he did in Legion(which makes no sense since Alliance own Stromgarde because of him) and they're trying to make him be a character that cares about the Balance... then yeah this is horseshit.
    Uh.. no. Galen had rebelled against Sylvanas anyway. Galen could never have held Stomgarde against the Alliance no matter what. Not on his own.

And again... WHAT shit he pulled during Legion?

People keep acting like he's this twirly-moustache uber villain.... but, like.. he totally wasn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Redcon! It a connected!
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

This topic was discussed a month or so ago when this part of the quest came available on the PTR. Everyone hated it at first, b/c the Lich King has such an amazing booming voice, but maybe he's going through some sort of "change" which gives the human Bolvar more control over the LK powers. I assume he'll be brought back with more influence in a later expansion, probably pairing with - or replacing - Sylvanas.