Poll: Would Sylvanas start the war if Varian would still be alive?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji87 View Post
    A shame Horde players don't seem to grasp that Alliance players are fully aware of that, but most of them likes to do something called "Pretending" and "Teasing" because it annoys Horde Fanboys. You should google what those words mean, BTW, cuz you obviously don't understand the concept.
    I sincerely doubt the merit of your 'lol we're just pretending' defense.

Notwithstanding your own words shooting your defense in not one, but both feet? I can't recall a situation where criticism of Blood Elves drove a fan of theirs to imply the threat of a shooting.

Can you say the same of High Elves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.
    I can hear the REE from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cronotose View Post
    The winner is not always the bad ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramlen View Post
    I sincerely doubt the merit of your 'lol we're just pretending' defense.

Notwithstanding your own words shooting your defense in not one, but both feet? I can't recall a situation where criticism of Blood Elves drove a fan of theirs to imply the threat of a shooting.

Can you say the same of High Elves?
    Errhmm.... what? Care to repeat that, in english?
    Besides, when did I say which faction I play as?

Quote Originally Posted by Vonazak View Post
    Would Genn attack the horde at Stormheim if Varian was still alive?

The answer is the same, no.

he dont attack the horde. only the forseken because gilneas and the forsaken are still at war

10+ Year Old Account
    As per the books, she wouldn't. She thinks of Anduin as being too easily influenced, whereas Varian proved himself as both a Warrior and a Leader. She had respect for Varian.

She should have respect for Anduin, but hey, maybe she just needed a reason to attack the Alliance.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Errhmm.... what? Care to repeat that, in english?
    Besides, when did I say which faction I play as?
    When did I infer a faction allegiance?

If this is too hard for you, I can start using smaller syllables.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-11-21 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Received Infraction
    I AM the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did I infer a faction allegiance?
    "lol we're just pretending" indicates that you assume I am part of the Alliance players that are "teasing" and I never confirmed which faction I play for.

If this is too hard for you, I can start using smaller syllables.
    No need to be an ass about it, what you said just made no sense, cuz I'm not sure what Blood Elves have to do with Alliance players "teasing" Horde players with the events of the Broken Shore.
    Last edited by Lupinemancer; 2018-11-21 at 08:18 PM.

With Varian alive, Genn wouldn't have dared starting that war.
    Or Varian would have actually apologised and kept him out after that.

He wouldn't have kept him as his right arm as the main decision maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Niaraa View Post
    he dont attack the horde. only the forseken because gilneas and the forsaken are still at war
    The horde is a coalition in the name of mutual protection and survival. Members of the horde don't make the distinction. I assure you Genn Greymane fully understands that they don't make the distinction.

"lol we're just pretending" indicates that you assume I am part of the Alliance players that are "teasing" and I never confirmed which faction I play for.
    You're assuming where no inference was placed. People can speak on behalf of others all the time, even if they're almost cartoonishly off the mark.

No need to be an ass about it

If you had basic human intelligence
    Don't throw what you can't take.
    I AM the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're assuming where no inference was placed. People can speak on behalf of others all the time, even if they're almost cartoonishly off the mark.
    Now you are just trying to pretend you didn't make false assumptions.

Don't throw what you can't take.
    I have not insulted you at all, I simply made statements about something we were talking about and you act like that?
    Man what a rude kid, did your parents not give you enough attention or what?

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-11-21 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    Even if she did, standing against a competent leader, the war would be really short... she would be ended
    There simply are no competent military leaders in warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    *looks at Sylvanas ordering the attack on Teldrassil and then being literally worse than Arthas and burning down an entire (non-Undead infested/plagued) city*
    Yes and no, both parties are guilty of doing stupid avoidable things.

The goblins started mining azerite not knowing what it was, only that it was powerful and could turn a profit.

Then, the alliance agents watching them started killing them to examine what it was they had found under Shaw’s orders. They too didn’t know what azerite was, only that it was clearly powerful.

Then the horde sends the champions and dispatched a force to defend the goblin miners so they can continue gathering this mysterious new resource, attacking and killing the alliance agents in silithus.

Follow this, the alliance sends almost their entire remaining army to silithus to secure the new resource.

Now that the alliance military is sufficiently diverted en route to silithus, Sylvanas orchestrates the invasion of the darnassian forests and burns down teldrassil while it is under defended. The alliance military is unable to turn around before it’s too late.

Meanwhile poor Magni is trying to tell both factions they’re mining the blood of Azeroth and causing more damage.

Both factions immediately jump to violence without even trying deplomacy. Clearly the horde is far worse but both factions didn’t even try to avoid a war over this azerite. Of course, the story would dry up if this wasn’t the case and we’d all be bored.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    @Oneirophobia I believe the Alliance didn't authorize an attack until after the Horde were killing Explorer's League that were trying to investigate the Azerite. It was then that they knew it was important enough to kill for, and therefore ordered their agents (the players) to gather samples and sabotage the Horde's efforts. Not 100% though, I'd have to read that part of the book again.

You're right, though. They are jumping to violence before diplomacy, and it's tragic.

10+ Year Old Account
    *looks at Sylvanas ordering the attack on Teldrassil and then being literally worse than Arthas and burning down an entire (non-Undead infested/plagued) city*
    Look at why she first ordered the attack. It was because Genn and the rest of the filth in the Alliance were not being kept in control. Varian and Sylvanas had a mutual understanding and acceptance of one another and Genn was kept on a leash like the mutt he is. It wasn't until Varian died and Genn started spreading lies about the Horde betraying them, then the Alliance throwing shade and Genn personally fucking up Sylvanas from trying to keep her people from extinction.

Anduin should have quelled the rumors but instead he let them continue, so they reap what they sow.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    Look at why she first ordered the attack. It was because Genn and the rest of the filth in the Alliance were not being kept in control. Varian and Sylvanas had a mutual understanding and acceptance of one another and Genn was kept on a leash like the mutt he is. It wasn't until Varian died and Genn started spreading lies about the Horde betraying them, then the Alliance throwing shade and Genn personally fucking up Sylvanas from trying to keep her people from extinction.

Anduin should have quelled the rumors but instead he let them continue, so they reap what they sow.
    Trying to people her people from extinction, by turning another race of people into eternal slaves that are forced to personally lay their lives down for her to live? Yeah, I feel just TERRIBLE about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    As per the books, she wouldn't. She thinks of Anduin as being too easily influenced, whereas Varian proved himself as both a Warrior and a Leader. She had respect for Varian.

She should have respect for Anduin, but hey, maybe she just needed a reason to attack the Alliance.
    why should she have respect for anduin? she knows very well Anduin didnt punish Genn for attacking her during legion invasion.
    "You speak of peace only when it suits you." -Sylvanas
    Anduin speaks of peace but does nothing to punish his allies for seeking out fights.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Oh man, the whole "Sylvanas didn't actually start the war!!" arguments are just precious.

Aside from that, in BTS she says she wouldn't because she had respect for him. Search me as to how she thinks the guy who is not afraid of war at all is a better fit for her survival than the literal pacifist, but hey, nobody said the writing had to make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to people her people from extinction, by turning another race of people into eternal slaves that are forced to personally lay their lives down for her to live? Yeah, I feel just TERRIBLE about that.
    Because she was cast away as a monster when she tried to go back to the Alliance after breaking from the Lich King's control and then had to find a safe haven away from the mobs trying to kill them all. Yea she was a terrible monster and not the product of her environment thanks to the all-righteous Alliance
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Oh man, the whole "Sylvanas didn't actually start the war!!" arguments are just precious.

Aside from that, in BTS she says she wouldn't because she had respect for him. Search me as to how she thinks the guy who is not afraid of war at all is a better fit for her survival than the literal pacifist, but hey, nobody said the writing had to make sense.
    Honestly, that's pretty easy to explain. She knows that Varian's a tough dude who can keep the Alliance in line but who can also fight back more competently. She thinks Anduin is an inexperienced pushover who's flowerchild nature would make him easy to exploit but who also won't be able to keep his henchmen in line, as in Stormheim. BTS even states it outright and Sylv's internal monologue about the Broken Shore, Varian, Vol'jin and the like are among the few moments of characterization she has that aren't about how evil she is. If the narrative had a lick of nuance she'd be right too, but as it's about the God-King's ascension and the Horde being humbled in his light, that's not the case.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    Because she was cast away as a monster when she tried to go back to the Alliance after breaking from the Lich King's control and then had to find a safe haven away from the mobs trying to kill them all. Yea she was a terrible monster and not the product of her environment thanks to the all-righteous Alliance
    That doesn't justify her, as I said, turning another race of people into eternal sacrificial slaves for her own benefit.

I'm sure her killing Garithos and his forces didn't at all color the Alliance's views of them though, not at all! Even if he was an arrogant, racist, pigheaded asshole, they had a deal and he was willing to let them go in peace. You don't go murdering a group of the Alliance, then turn around and ask the Alliance to treat with you.