Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schmonz View Post
    No, i dont make a racing team. I make a team of people who want to have fun in a game no matter how far we progress.
    Exactly that's what you want. Not what the players in these guilds want. See how two people can want different things and achieve it different ways?

Yeah, as there are millions of guild applications a day.

Please.. do not exaggerate the popularity of guilds. Most guilds are not flooded by people who want to join them.
    And yet arranging an interview on discord with every single person who applies is a waste of the officers' time. The guy who has never even cleared heroic is not going to get invited to our guild, so why waste time interviewing him?
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Having 6 recruits doesn't mean you are replacing 6 people, it just means you have 6 people applying. The guild likely only has one spot available but wants the best of those 6 people so you have to try out all 6 and find out who is best.
    You think there are six people so identical that it's impossible to narrow that number down for one spot via log analysis and talking to them?

Well, so your guild handles playing like a job. Which is quite different from what i believe is a enjoyable guild about.
    Which is fine, because you play the game very differently. That does not make applications followed by interviews if the application seems promising a bad system, it has existed since before WoW for a reason. It works.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

No, the guilds which lockout players because they are new to the game.

If i join a guild, it is about the people, and not about their raid progress.

Can i have fun with them in chat while we do some dungeons?

Am i compatible to the people in the guild on a social level?

I have a complete different idea about what a guild should be about than progress players. And the kind of guild i talk about needs to applications and resumes.
    Nobody is talking about social guilds here. It's very clearly about guilds that are more hardcore, either progression raiding or maybe PvP(although I have no idea how hardcore PvP guilds work personally).
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Your guild is world ranked 800+

You should be looking at logs and if logs check out then interview on voice.

Guilds as low of a rank as yours can't afford to lose good players based off of a written application.

But i talk about social guilds, and not progress guilds. I stated from the start that i talk about how i like guilds to be.
    Social guilds are irrelevant to this topic.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I don't really see anything wrong with that guy's app. I've seen worse, I've typed out worse just to put an app in. Got in regardless. That was back in Wrath and I got into a higher end raid team during ICC Heroic. Don't raid currently, because I can't stand BfA atm, but I did clear everything in Legion through Mythic with a serious raiding guild, in case someone decides to chime in and ask.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

But i talk about social guilds, and not progress guilds. I stated from the start that i talk about how i like guilds to be.
    And I'm talking about the not social guilds. Which is why I made the point, you want something, they want something different, it doesn't make either side wrong.

It works like applying for a job in factory, but not to have an enjoyable experience in a fun guild.

The main reason i never would join your kind of guilds is that they have nothing in common with playing a game anymore. You do a job. And want performers to progress. And not friends to play with.
    Those aren't mutually exclusive. I'm going to get along much better with people who play the game similarly to me and have similar goals to me than I am going to get along with people who play an hour a week to pick herbs and do pet battles.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatorg View Post
    You think there are six people so identical that it's impossible to narrow that number down for one spot via log analysis and talking to them?
    Yeah because logs and talking to them outside of raids can't show you how they perform with your raid team, how they follow instructions, how their attitude is when something goes wrong, how they communicate in intense situations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthium View Post
    I do not talk big at all, I do not think my guild is either a top guild or a hardcore guild or anything. It is however, a guild that requires you to apply, just like guilds 500 ranks below us do.

You made this discussion about progression and world ranks. It was about worst apps you've personally seen and later started to be about why you need to apply in the first place. This wasn't a discussion of - my guild is better than yours. It's ironic when you say you don't understand why I talk so big when it was you who started talking big and berrating my guild's world rank. I'm sure you're coming from a Hall of Fame guild yourself, though.
    "I don't believe you ever raided or have been in any decent guild"
    "You must've stopped raiding in wotlk or something..."
    "You are not the target audience for my guild anyway."
    "Don't worry, we aren't recruiting 8/8 normal raiders."
    "Go back to LFR."
    Just from one thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Yeah because logs and talking to them outside of raids can't show you how they perform with your raid team, how they follow instructions, how their attitude is when something goes wrong, how they communicate in intense situations etc.
    You think guilds run around with 6 trials for one slot? What if it's a tank or heal slot? What if they have more than one open slot? Do they take on 10+ trials at a time? How do you simulate intense situations in farm content? Or do you just take your six trials per slot into the next progression?
    Last edited by Alphatorg; 2018-11-24 at 01:20 PM.

Well, it was about general applications to guilds. There was no dedicated talk about prorgress guilds at start only.

And yes, for the small minority of progress guilds, resumes and applications may be useful. But they are a few only compared to the number of people who would never join them.
    They are only small but as the thread was started talking about applications, I just assumed the focus was on the guilds that required applications.

So now we know everyones talking about two different things, can we agree that applications make sense for progress guilds but don't for social guilds?

Deleted
    Which is quite crazy for social guilds, who do not care about progress. And that is my point. It may be useful for competive raid or rated pvp guilds.

But noone needs resumes or application bureaucracy for social guilds and casual guilds.

Those guilds need no filter by skill. They need only to check if people fit to the community. And that is best done by a voice chat.
    We are not talking about social guilds, applications are strictly for raiding and PvP guilds. But I guess it makes sense for roleplaying guilds too, you don't wanna some scrub who cramps on your RP in your guild I guess.

But don't go operating on the assumption that guilds that care about progression don't care for fun, because for some people, overcoming challenges is the fun part o wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthium View Post
    I'd really like to see it. Is the page still alive?

I don't believe you ever raided or have been in any decent guild because then you'd know how it is and you'd know that what you're saying is nothing even remotely close to being true. It's pure fabrication. If you equate 20 minutes of answering some simple questions to landing a job you either:

1. Have terrible attention span.
    2. Have never landed any kind of decent job.
    3. Will quit the game in a month anyway because you just don't want to put in the effort to join if you'll get bored in a month and just stop.

And that's all the kind of players that guilds want to protect themselves from. So unless you can prove you raided that Naxx, I won't believe you ever did so much as a Deadmines run.

Your attitude in this reply makes me see your guild isn't a decent guild in my humble opinion. I would never apply to it as it wouldn't meet my needs. In contrast, the guild I'm currently in had no application process, no interview and well its been one of the better guilds I've been in for a long time. But I'm not sure you will see nor understand this fact.

7+ Year Old Account
    I used to have an application directly on the forums where they had to write about their character, as it was a RP guild. This is so we have an idea if their character fits into the guild and they know the basic lore. Nowadays we just meet them in-game and RP for a bit to see if it works.

Think the weirdest one was that a blood elf was born in Astranaar before it was invaded and taken over by night elves... '-' Never got a response when I mentioned I could teach that person some quick lore things to improve the application.

Well, the talk was about guilds and applications in general, and i added my point of view what guilds should be about.

And "nobody talking about social guilds" is like a joke, considering the fact only a very small group of players is in organized progress guilds. The vast majority of players either play solo or in social guilds, and not in organized assembly lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it was about general applications to guilds. There was no dedicated talk about progress guilds at start only.

And yes, for the small minority of progress guilds, resumes and applications may be useful. But they are a few only compared to the number of people who would never join them.
    The topic is about applications, which clearly does not apply to social guilds, because social guilds don't generally have applications, hence the topic is not about social guilds.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

They are, because when your "friend" does not perform anymore, or your guild where you have those "friends", you join a new guild which performs again.

Sometimes it seems a organized raider sets friend equal to "People who help me to progress, which i leave if they do not work anymore".

The cold ellbow has no place for friendships.
    You think people don't play with people from previous guilds or competing guilds? Whether that's WoW or other games. Just as an example, my guild and 2 others do guild vs guild in-house League of Legends matches, as well as random games with people from any of those guilds. We do M+ with plenty of friends and guildies who aren't on the raiding roster. A bunch of guilds do heroic raids together, especially on farm with alts.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2018-11-24 at 01:22 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

A progress guild , during WotLK, I think, asked applicants to supply a screenshot of their UI in combat.
    One particular applicant used a camera to take a somewhat out of focus picture of their monitor while wow was running.
    There were many other reasons the application was declined but that was the most entertaining.
    Last edited by Autumn; 2018-11-24 at 01:27 PM.

As i aldready wrote, yes. While i still never would join that kind of guild. See my first answer in this thread.

My comments were about showing what those guilds are really about.

And it is not about playing with friends, but playing with performers you leave, if they do not perform anymore.

A reckless meritiocracy replacing a fun experience in something we still call "computer game".

- - - Updated - - -

About "bad applications" to start with. Which lead to me questioning the application system.

Which is a reasonable topic in a thread like this.
    No, because whether or not applications are useful is not relevant to a topic about bad applications. Especially when there's nothing to discuss on your derailing topic in the first place, because more hardcore guilds have applications and social guilds don't, because that's what works best for their respective type of guild. There's no discussion to be had.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU