@eschatological

Look, I understand he still does rookie boneheaded things. I also realize this video does not show his negative plays (to include the 2 pics and the dropped game winning TD), but I haven't seen a Bills qb be this interesting since Doug Flutie. I remain cautiously optimistic about the Bills next season and beyond.

https://youtu.be/tnKxzudQ014
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Saints winning the whole thing.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The sooner they pulled the trigger the sooner they could start interviewing replacements. Waiting too long can create a situation where the best fit is already signed elsewhere. There would have been no benefit to keeping him longer.
    Well most of the candidates are probably unable to interview for another 4 weeks anyway, some (most) probably longer than that. Like the only people who can "interview" now are College Coaches, Philbin, and Pettine. The former I don't know if any of them would want to work with Rodgers, the middle one has no chance, the latter maybe has a chance if they can convince a hotshot OC to come to town with him.

As for McCarthy, put me down that he's the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns. He feels like a John Fox kind of coach where he goes to a young team, makes them a consistent playoff squad, then gets replaced by a coach that can actually get them past the Divisional Round.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    McCarthy is a good coach but his time in GB should have been over 3 years ago. After the 2014 collapse against Seattle, I thought he deserved one more year, as you can argue they were the best team that year. After that its been kind of a shit show and something clearly has not been right with him and Rodgers. He would be a good coach for a team like the Browns or a younger team I think.
    He almost was done after last season. If anything Ted Thompson retiring saved McCarthy. Heck, even one of the candidates to replace him as GM said he'd fire McCarthy if he got the job.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    McCarthy is a good coach but his time in GB should have been over 3 years ago. After the 2014 collapse against Seattle, I thought he deserved one more year, as you can argue they were the best team that year. After that its been kind of a shit show and something clearly has not been right with him and Rodgers. He would be a good coach for a team like the Browns or a younger team I think.
    Rodgers clearly lost all faith after the collapse, however Rodgers injuries afterwards didn't give the Packers justification to fire him.

It'll be interesting how the future coach will get along with Rodgers. I'm sure it'll be unicorns and candy land the first few seasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I've been listening to the local coverage and a lot of folks are saying the Packers should hire Josh McDaniels.

Amazed his name is heating up again after he left the Colts high and dry. If they hadn't landed probably the best coach of last cycle on the backswing, on almost accident, McDaniels would probably be nuclear in the NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this game swung really fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    The LA teams are no joke.
    Which is a surprise in the Chargers case. The Chargers of the past would have shit the bed once down by 2 scores. This team seems resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Which is a surprise in the Chargers case. The Chargers of the past would have shit the bed once down by 2 scores. This team seems resilient.
    The Chargers of the past would have shit the bed after being up two scores.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lots of stuff today. I have no idea what's going on with some of these teams.

Colts can't do shit against Jags? Titans get a win but it's too late for their playoff dreams. The AFC South as a whole is as weird as the NFC north.

And speaking of them, maybe Trubisky isn't that integral to the Bears' success this season.

Seahawks are looking strong considering how many expected Carrol to be fired this season.

And wow Mahomes really is Favreian. He made some incredible throws today but they were really poor decisions, no room for errors throws into triple coverage in the end zone kind of poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Man I've been listening to the local coverage and a lot of folks are saying the Packers should hire Josh McDaniels.

Amazed his name is heating up again after he left the Colts high and dry. If they hadn't landed probably the best coach of last cycle on the backswing, on almost accident, McDaniels would probably be nuclear in the NFL.
    Plus the fact he was especially bad in Denver. Some great coordinators will never be HC material.

Surprised they dropped McCarthy but there's no excuse to losing to the fucking Cardinals and almost losing to the Niners when they've shown the ability to hang with --if not beat-- the Rams and Patriots. They are flat out bad this season.

- - - Updated - - -

It was, by definition, an assault. There are no opinions contained in xskarma's statement.
    Was going to let it drop but saw he didn't edit his thing so no, there's clearly a side taken in the statement. Taking shots at people from behind a shield won't get you the desired result.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow at both the miss and the penalties*.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2018-12-03 at 04:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Plus the fact he was especially bad in Denver. Some great coordinators will never be HC material.
    Yeah. And another reason I'm glad fans don't hire coaches, a whole lot of people seem to want the Packers to hire a media personality that hasn't coached since last decade but won a Super Bowl back in the days when Brett Favre was our QB. Heedless of how well that's working out in Oakland.

Also name that came up way more than I expected tonight, Bruce Arians.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was such a Chargers way to lose I can't believe they weren't the ones who did it.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. And another reason I'm glad fans don't hire coaches, a whole lot of people seem to want the Packers to hire a media personality that hasn't coached since last decade but won a Super Bowl back in the days when Brett Favre was our QB. Heedless of how well that's working out in Oakland.

Bruce Arians would certainly get that offense going. However he's always relied on strong D-coordinators to handle that side of the ball and the Green Bay defense needs help.

I think he's done though. His health wasn't great near the end in Arizona and I'm not sure he could still handle a high pressure situation like the one in Green Bay. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that your time has passed and move on to other things, like broadcasting or media.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had my chargers choking post queued up, but damn.

I don't see him and Rodgers getting along.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    The Chargers aren't a surprise. They were 9-7 last year and lost like 6 games by something stupid like a combined 20 points or something ridiculous. I picked them to win the AFC West this year, and they would, if Mahomes had been nothing short of spectacular. They've got a lock on the top wild card spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The Chargers aren't a surprise. They were 9-7 last year and lost like 6 games by something stupid like a combined 20 points or something ridiculous. I picked them to win the AFC West this year, and they would, if Mahomes had been nothing short of spectacular. They've got a lock on the top wild card spot.
    If anything I think that combined 20 points thing is why people expected them to shit the bed once down 2 scores. Eventually you're a team that just can't win, rather than a team that gets unlucky.

Chargers and Chiefs still play each other+Ravens, with the Chargers having Bengals/Broncos and Chiefs having Seahawks/Raiders. The division is still winnable for the Chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    @<a href="https://www.mmo-champion.com/member.php?u=592119" target="_blank">eschatological</a>

Look, I understand he still does rookie boneheaded things. I also realize this video does not show his negative plays (to include the 2 pics and the dropped game winning TD), but I haven't seen a Bills qb be this interesting since Doug Flutie. I remain cautiously optimistic about the Bills next season and beyond.

https://youtu.be/tnKxzudQ014
    It was easily his best game. Which is good, considering last week was his best week before this week. His completion percentage is up (but still sub 60%), one of his two INTs was on a Hail Mary so it shouldn't count (but then again the Dolphins dropped another blatant undercut), and he set a franchise record for rushing yards by a QB, eclipsing the record he set last week. And he was much better in the 2nd half than the first, which I guess is a good thing.

Here are a few issues I have with him still, which haven't really resolved in however many games he's played (I think it's 8 now):

1) The running. Like Lamar Jackson, it is not feasible for him to run this much. He will have to be a passing QB to win in this league.
    2) 230 passing yards looks okay, until you realize 50ish of it was on the last drive when the Dolphins were playing prevent because a FG did nothing for the Bills.
    3) He still is a one-read guy. He goes to his first read, if it isn't there, then he breaks contain, and either a) makes a ridiculous throw which his sheer athleticism allows him to get away with most of the time on a broken coverage, or b) runs. Supposedly Kiko Alonso was spying him this game - once people scheme to contain his running, and force him to pass, that's when the real test will be.
    4) He's still wildly inconsistent. He was throwing some ducks out there today, not just on the last play (if throwing 40 yards across your body can be considered a duck). His good passes looked good, his bad passes looked bad. He doesn't really have passes inbetween.
    5) related to above, his footwork is still meh. When he does break contain and goes into that dynamic scramble mode, he rarely ever sets his feet again, even if he decides to throw. The big debate in Buffalo today was whether that last throw was "on him." I've linked it below. In it, you see a few things: A) Even though the Dolphins only rush 4, he feels phantom pressure early when his first read isn't there, and he bails. The DEs break down the pass rush, but I'm not really sure I blame the tackles, they were pushing them upfield, and Allen should have climbed the pocket and delivered to another read. B) He breaks contain, and two DEs are after him - he then scrambles and extends the play in a way the maybe only 1 or 2 other QBs in the league could do (Rodgers and Wilson come to mind). This is the good part of the play. C) He's now juked the pants off of fucking CAMERON WAKE, and the coverage has broken down, and he's got Charles Clay open in the back of the end zone. He's got time to set his feet and throw it - but he doesn't do that, and he throws a wounded duck - that goes 40 yards - to Clay, who can't come up with the catch. Now, for 9.5m a year, Clay should still catch that. But some people argued that Josh Allen should be able to throw a better ball that that if he just reset his mechanics. This happens regularly, and often.

One of the things people said about Josh coming out of college is that he had a potential ceiling of Bortles. I think he's a little more athletic that Blake, but his passing game is similarly inconsistent and mechanically unsound at time. But then, on occasion, Bortles has games where he has insane numbers, because Bortles will Bortles.......and I fear that that's the kind of career Allen could settle into. Now maybe he can fix his tendancies, but those are the concerns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Chargers and Chiefs still play each other+Ravens, with the Chargers having Bengals/Broncos and Chiefs having Seahawks/Raiders. The division is still winnable for the Chargers.
    Their schedules look about even to me. Play each other + Ravens, and then each has a cupcake and a playoff contender. If the Chiefs somehow don't win the West then they probably have collapsed epically following the events earlier this week.

Chargers 1st TD was a false start tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their schedules look about even to me. Play each other + Ravens, and then each has a cupcake and a playoff contender. If the Chiefs somehow don't win the West then they probably have collapsed epically following the events earlier this week.
    They nearly collapsed tonight. That game should have been a total blowout.