Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Ah damn, never tried that..
    You're not alone. I was watching a playthrough because I couldn't figure out wtf I was supposed to go. And I saw them fighting the demon and I was like "WOT?"
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yeah the graphics are.. ugh.. well.. I got quite the shock when I launched the game and everythign was von the lowest setting. It looked like an early PS2 game. Putting everything on max makes it at least look like a late PS2 game.. maybe early PS3. Still, after games like Bloodborne the graphics just look dated, there is no way around that. Even if you take it as stylized, it's still below what it could be.. alot. I also have to agree, so far Fury just comes across like a cunt, nothing more, I hope there will some character development for her as the game goes on and she discovers that the charred council's plot. Combat so far is fun, but damn I have I run into many inaccessable spots that require multiple later available abilities. Like seriously, there are like 5-6 within the first 10 minutes of play .
    If you think it looks like a PS2 game then you have not played it or are being intentionally misleading. I pout it on low setting on my PC and it looks far better than any PS3 game ever. It looks better then the other 2 Darksiders games over all. There are some texture issues here and there, but over all it looks great.

I enjoyed it as someone who hasn't played 1 or 2.

I played on PS4 and the graphical glitches, stutters (some of the worst framerates I've ever seen) and crashes were prevalent though.

Overall though I enjoyed it and it scratched my dark souls itch I was having until Sekiro drops.

Deleted
    Such a huge letdown tbh. So dissapointed. And I really loved the 1 & 2 ..and they go and do this? meh..=(

I just redownload it to get the last Enhacement for the weapons, and to get the +10 whip. A NG+ would be nice to be honest T.T Well, great game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulflayer View Post
    I just redownload it to get the last Enhacement for the weapons, and to get the +10 whip. A NG+ would be nice to be honest T.T Well, great game!
    Supposedly they are working on that

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Supposedly they are working on that
    Really??Nice! I hope this time I get the other endings!

All three Darksiders game feel pretty much linear in terms of quality. They are cool little b-grade games. Not exceptional, pull a lot from other sources, try to be a lot of things at once, have a divisive sense of style. Every game being a little different makes it more difficult to make everyone happy in terms of franchise attachment. They are also all rough around the edges. It seems console players got the shaft instead of pc players this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I enjoyed it as someone who hasn't played 1 or 2.

I played on PS4 and the graphical glitches, stutters (some of the worst framerates I've ever seen) and crashes were prevalent though.

Overall though I enjoyed it and it scratched my dark souls itch I was having until Sekiro drops.
    1&2 are lots of fun too and still hold up well. They also go on heavy steam sales regularly so you can pick them up on the cheap. Would definitely recommend, they're a bit more hack and slash / DMC style combat than darksouls though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arla View Post
    Such a huge letdown tbh. So dissapointed. And I really loved the 1 & 2 ..and they go and do this? meh..=(
    What about it was a letdown? I'm still working my way through but I'm having a blast.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of the character or how they just gave up on the original story which was badass.. pretty retarded they keep beating around the bush what do they expect to make like 20 sequels before finishing the story?

From my understanding, the plan was always to have one game for each horseman, and then the 5th game would conclude the story.

@Lazuli In what way did they give up on the original story? Each horseman gets a game with what they were doing at the time... this game is for fury... which is completely in line with the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Not a fan of the character or how they just gave up on the original story which was badass.. pretty retarded they keep beating around the bush what do they expect to make like 20 sequels before finishing the story?
    As Cyclone said, the original plan was already to make 4 games where you could see the "same" story from 4 different points of view and have a 5th one to recap/close everything.

First 2 games had a very defined structure and direction - with the new team i expected something to get screwed. Hopefully it's not too much.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arla View Post
    Totally agree with you m8.

Disclaimer: There is nothing wrong with enjoying this kind of combat design. I'm just stating the things that a percentage of people don't like about the combat design in DS3. And it is coming out of love for this franchise.

Here is what I think the problem is imho: (I'm playing on the third difficulty)

• I don't feel like a Horseman of the Apocalypse at all when a lizard hits me for 60-70% of my HP.
    • The combat revolves around counter attacks after a timed dodge. It is nice at the start, but it gets boring fast.
    • Her dodge is not fun. War's dodge is heavy and slow because he feels heavy. Death's dodge is fast because he is very agile. But her dodge is boring. I would expect her dodge to be some kind of dash-teleport. Mechanics wise it's short and slow.
    • If you face more than one enemy you can easily be locked in their attack sequence and get killed.
    • Fury, unlike Death and War, can't anicancel. Not being able to anicancel literally tells you you should only rely on evade counters. Which is what I like to call "Artificial Difficulty".
    • These distanced checkpoints make you play for 30 mins or so without making any progress.
    • The game punishes you very hard for 1 wrong dodge. There's no room to think about the mistake you just did and no chance to make up for it. You could die and lose 10-15 mins of progress because of a one premature dodge.
    • I would expect her to have more magical attacks. But now you need for her Wrath to fill up to perform one attack. Yes it fills fast, but it is not fun to not be able to perform more that one ability in a fast succession.
    • No finishers. Finishers are cool. It's nice every now and then to rip an enemy apart. Also, they give you a moment to think about your next move.
    • Respite is basically the same as the extra health thingies War gets in DS1. But instead, you need to activate them yourself. Problem is that Respite is not usable on the move.
    • Limited frame rate. You need to edit some config files to get 120.
    • Cutscenes are locked at 30 FPS. Why!
    • Camera is too close. You need an external tool to adjust it.

As a guy put in on Discord (who finished the game on Apocalypse):
    ds3 in a nutshell: be a pussy and only evade counter

TL;DR
    No anicancel -> game forces you to rely on evade counters -> Artificial Difficulty.
    Far away checkpoints -> you can play 30 mins without any progress.
    Fury doesn't feel like a Horseman of the Apocalypse when 2 mobs can lock you and kill you in 2 hits.

Hope it would sell enough so there would be DS4.

Cheers.

10+ Year Old Account
    BTW guys, Game comes out on the Epic Games store on the 14th. If you haven't bought it yet, buy it there as the Devs get 88% revenue share (plus it was made in UE4 so I believe they get more due to that as well).

Quote Originally Posted by OneZ View Post
    Disclaimer: There is nothing wrong with enjoying this kind of combat design. I'm just stating the things that a percentage of people don't like about the combat design in DS3. And it is coming out of love for this franchise.
    Nothing wrong with not enjoying aspects of it either. Just felt like having a convo since the other 2 people who seemed to have a strong dislike for it never elaborated.

Just wanted to say that in case something comes off as harsh because text voice =/= real voice.

(I'm playing on the third difficulty)
    For context I've played them all on apoc (still working through 3, killed 6 sins so far though)

I don't feel like a Horseman of the Apocalypse at all when a lizard hits me for 60-70% of my HP.
    I mean, this is mitigated by difficulties existing. You choose to have a lizard hit you for 70% of your health by virtue of choosing the difficulty where they hit that hard and you not pumping more points into health.

This one isn't the games fault, if your fantasy of being a horseman is about being able to tank hits, there are difficulties and items that allow you to do that.

The combat revolves around counter attacks after a timed dodge. It is nice at the start, but it gets boring fast.
    Depends, all the smaller enemies flinch when hit and can be knocked up. Which means most smaller monsters you just lock down and beat the crap out of.

Vs medium / large enemies and bosses you're weaving in as many attacks as you can between their attacks while dodging. You *can* overly focus on dodge counters as a crutch, but its absolutely not the most efficient way of playing as you'd simply be missing out on attacks.

Fury, unlike Death and War, can't anicancel. Not being able to anicancel literally tells you you should only rely on evade counters. Which is what I like to call "Artificial Difficulty".
    I find this odd to read as someone who's been an avid fan of monster hunter for years.

There's nothing artificial about it, its simply different. Ones more button mashy and reactionary, the other is more calculated. Needing to be more calculated and aware is good game design. That's not to say I don't enjoy a more reactionary style of play, but its not a negative if it isn't that. Its just different.

Her dodge is not fun. War's dodge is heavy and slow because he feels heavy. Death's dodge is fast because he is very agile. But her dodge is boring. I would expect her dodge to be some kind of dash-teleport. Mechanics wise it's short and slow.
    I have no issues with her dodges. Forward dodge is a charge into battle face first kind of thing, sideways / back does a flip that also looks sweet when you perfect dodge and everything slows down. Gonna have to just disagree here.

If you face more than one enemy you can easily be locked in their attack sequence and get killed.
    This is not a negative, just means you need to play more carefully and not just charge into a pack of enemies. Again, calculated vs reactionary.

These distanced checkpoints make you play for 30 mins or so without making any progress.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by this, what are you calling progress in this scenario?

The game punishes you very hard for 1 wrong dodge.
    This is again completely negated by virtue of difficulty settings, if you feel like a difficulty is too punishing you can change to a lower one on the fly.

There's no room to think about the mistake you just did and no chance to make up for it.
    This is only true in the case of 1shots, I'm constantly making mistakes on apoc and the game absolutely gives me a chance to make up for it. Especially since the heal completely maxes out my health bar and has a few charges.

You could die and lose 10-15 mins of progress because of a one premature dodge.
    This seems to miss a few things.

First, If you're not being 1shot, then you aren't losing anything because of one failed dodge. More than likely its a case of failing a dodge and then panicking and being hit again til death.

Second, if you're familiar with darksouls style games progress is your experience and not literally where you're standing. A path that took you 15 minutes to get through the first time will absolutely not take you 15 minutes to get through the second time.

On the 2nd time through:
    • You know where you're going up until where you died
    • you know where all the enemies are and what they are
    • you have more experience fighting them so they die faster
    • you've already picked up all the items along the way so you don't need to spend time searching for them
    • you've unlocked shortcuts so you don't need to go all the way around gain.
    You feel like you've lost progress because you've died and everything respawned, but that's naive. The progress is everything you've learned along the way, and if you're learning then there's no way you're going to take the same amount of time to do it a second time. And that's to ignore that you can simply run past enemies if need be.

I would expect her to have more magical attacks. But now you need for her Wrath to fill up to perform one attack. Yes it fills fast, but it is not fun to not be able to perform more that one ability in a fast succession.
    Would you still feel this way if those more frequent magic attacks were also proportionately less impactful to make up for their being more readily available? IE: You can use it twice as often but it does half as much dmg and you aren't invulnerable during the animation.

It would lead to more build diversity like in darksiders 2, but that's another preference thing and not necessarily a negative for the game in general. Its just different.

No finishers. Finishers are cool. It's nice every now and then to rip an enemy apart. Also, they give you a moment to think about your next move.
    Always felt mixed on these, they can feel pretty cool but at the same time having enemies shuffle around you awkwardly staring while you ripped the one mob in half because they can't attack you during the animation was always really awkward.

I think the dodge counters feel just as impactful in a much less awkward way.

Respite is basically the same as the extra health thingies War gets in DS1. But instead, you need to activate them yourself. Problem is that Respite is not usable on the move.
    Which is a good thing. The DS1 method is just an awkward way to extend your max health that doesn't have any gameplay ramifications. Where you needing to stand still and consume an item is far more impactful since its something you can't just do without paying attention to your surroundings.

Limited frame rate. You need to edit some config files to get 120.
    I didn't even realize this was a thing, what do they limit it to? I've never been all that sensitive to framerate but I'ma have to look up how to fix that for shits. This doesn't affect anything odd once you raise it does it?
    Cutscenes are locked at 30 FPS. Why!
    Yeah the cutscenes could definitely use work, not even just the fps but there's a lot of awkward in them. Definitely not the first game I've played that had them locked though, not sure why that's a thing. Not a huge issue though.

Camera is too close. You need an external tool to adjust it.
    I don't feel that way at all. Especially with this being a souls style game where you're traveling through narrow corridors and having enemies jump out at you. You definitely don't want the player having a large field of view as that defeats the purpose on a lot of things.

Hope it would sell enough so there would be DS4.
    I was under the impression we weren't getting a 3, makes me really optimistic about the rest. Curious what strife's combat would look like him being ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Apologies for the necro, but I just picked up this game and I'm ridiculously dissapointed again.

I dont understand why they wouldnt just replicate the formula from DS1, the latter 2 games have been horrible by comparison, I struggled through DS2 for the story and I know I'm going to do the same here.

Dark Souls is a good game, but this isnt Dark Souls so why they decided to go for a half arsed version of it is beyond me. I'm honestly tempted to watch a Youtube compilation and get what I really want from this.
    You can change how DS3 play's and each game has always played different. Even the upcoming spin-off plays completely different.

Maybe the game isn't for you or you need to switch to the "Classic" controls.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

--snip--
    Once again you can change how a lot of the game plays. Just swap it to Classic Mode.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Gave it a shot and I'm honestly not enjoying the mechanics, I dont mind games not holding your hand, but it doesnt feel very intuitive to me at all. The dodging mechanics are incredibly tedious and the fact I cant just switch off and murder some weak enemies is incredibly annoying. She genuinely dies to everything so easily.

There's also next to no info about the games unlock/levelup systems so now I've went through some extensive googling because I dont want to have to grind to redo things if I mess up. Which after googling has made me wonder if I can even be bothered with it all.

DS1 was a fun puzzle based hack n slash, DS3 feels like a worse Dark Souls with the skeleton of the previous games. I'm not entirely sold on the fact that redoing the basic premise of your game everytime is a great decision for everyone, I'd have happily invested more in these games if they were like DS1.

I'm glad other people are enjoying them because I want the story to progress, but I cant honestly say that the combat is for me, I'm currently just cheesing bosses with crystals because I cant be arsed frame perfect dodging every time or risk dying to one combo and running all the way back. Shit theres so little info I dont even know if I lose souls (or anything) when I die and reclaim them.

I'm going to push through the whole game, but for now I'm not massively enjoying it.
    I don't understand, aren't there difficulties and they even added classic mode? If you want a faceroll hack and slash just change your options?

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I don't understand, aren't there difficulties and they even added classic mode? If you want a faceroll hack and slash just change your options?
    You would be correct.