Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question intentional "sets" are "bad transmog?" What!?

I ran into a couple instances of an interesting debate about transmog this weekend while looking for addons to flesh out my transmog toolbox.

The idea of "slapping on a tier set isn't good transmog," while an opinion I can certainly respect, is totally at odds with how I see things.

See, WoW uses 47 million shades of blurple swirled together to make "black." They use precisely 28 thousand shades of teal and aquamarine in game, and 65 thousand oranges and reds interchanged. Mixing and matching parts from different sets almost always makes my eyes twitch because of these expansive and inconsistent palettes, and the only way to avoid that that I've found is to lean heavily on tier and other established, intended sets, basically making the art department and WoW's crazy palette diversity work *for* me. There are exceptions of course, but I'm interested in how deep this elitism of being anti-tier-set goes, as this was the first I've heard of it!

Tier is just kind of the lazy method, since you can just auto-equip it. It's more impressive when you make something your own. Take that tier set and tweak a few things, like find a different shoulder that matches it but changes up the look. Or wear a different class's tier at least; my priest runs around most of the time in the warlock tier from Heart of Fear because it looks dope in shadowform, and my DK rocks the purple Judgement set from BC dungeons.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Well it's obviously more creative and challenging to match up different pieces from different sets. Coming up with something that looks coherent despite the difficulties that you present is exactly why those transmogs are appreciated. Using a set in its entirety as it was put in the game is boring and displays nothing new. In my opinion.
    But I like using full sets sometimes, I just don't think I'm being creative when I use them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I ran into a couple instances of an interesting debate about transmog this weekend while looking for addons to flesh out my transmog toolbox.

The idea of "slapping on a tier set isn't good transmog," while an opinion I can certainly respect, is totally at odds with how I see things.

See, WoW uses 47 million shades of blurple swirled together to make "black." They use precisely 28 thousand shades of teal and aquamarine in game, and 65 thousand oranges and reds interchanged. Mixing and matching parts from different sets almost always makes my eyes twitch because of these expansive and inconsistent palettes, and the only way to avoid that that I've found is to lean heavily on tier and other established, intended sets, basically making the art department and WoW's crazy palette diversity work *for* me. There are exceptions of course, but I'm interested in how deep this elitism of being anti-tier-set goes, as this was the first I've heard of it!
    I'm 100% with OP. But what do you want, people are, just like u said, elitists who feels superior cause they made a "red set", but the truth is, none of theses reds are the same, and it looks like garbage.

I'm interested in how deep this elitism of being anti-tier-set goes, as this was the first I've heard of it!
    Transmog is highly subjective and the only the opinion about my characters that matters to me is ME

I can see the argument how just putting on a tier set doesn't take much thought but who cares. You have to feel good playing your character so put on whatever you like most at the moment. If that's a set, good for you I hope you enjoy it.

That said, usually I start with a set and then look around what else I have available and use some other stuff. I like rummaging around in the wardrobe. For example this started with tempered saronite set:

Colors don't exactly match but I like it anyway.

I have nothing inherently against tier set transmogs, except that they all look like crap on Worgen models.

People think it's not "creative". I mean I use full-sets too beacuse it irks me if things don't match 100% beacuse I'm weird like that but mouthing off to people beacuse they wear sets is pretty much being a tmog hipster.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... i'm one of those people that like to see non-full set as transmogs and not because i feel better than others (I mean... there are many sets that still look great -We can all go around mentioning that) but, is more interesting to check the creation of other players, what they have come up with, and not just a tier set i have seen over and over again. (I do agree, that many of those creations, tend to be the same couple of items combined over and over again but every now and then, you find a gem)

Note: Not like i will go out of my way to point out that "is boring to use full sets or anything"

And yes, i'm also one of those that hate when someone put a picture of a full set in one of the transmog threads, i mean... i get that you like a tier set, is ok to like it, but come on, what's the point of posting it in one of the transmog threads? is Nothing we have not seen before!, we already saw that "trasnmog" when the set was first datamined and then when it was fully shown by Blizzard (cuj cuj wowhead cuj cuj)

my only grip with current system is that its soooo limited to raids/pvp sets.

i wish there was better more in depth customisable options like option to collect dungeon sets too as sets not only as singular pieces. or world drop sets propose by blizz.

If you see transmog as a way to express yourself/look as unique as possible then putting on a set is not very helpful. You are not saying much about yourself when you just pick a premade set.
    If you see transmog as a way to look as good as possible then putting on a set is good, because sets have pieces designed to actually fit together.

Both of those mindsets are valid and, as always, people who run around telling other people that they arent "true" players, transmoggers and so on should be ignored.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    People think it's not "creative". I mean I use full-sets too beacuse it irks me if things don't match 100% beacuse I'm weird like that but mouthing off to people beacuse they wear sets is pretty much being a tmog hipster.
    Same with me, i have OCD and it is extremely hard let the "full set" go away, i usually only change 2 itens of the original, or don't change nothing.

i find too difficult create an "new mog" with random pieces, they almost always look out of place, ugly and don't match well, most because of the colors

Ah, and here's where Building transmogs takes a bit of skill. you CAN mix and match and still keep the same shades and tones, hell I even take it one step farther and if I can include same shades of trim. Yes, you can "Just equip a Tier set" and be done with it, but to me, half the fun of transmogging is building that unique look that actually matches, out of mismatched pieces. Don't get me wrong sometimes I will use a Tier set when the mood strikes, but mostly I'll change out of it reletively soon. To each their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Same with me, i have OCD and it is extremely hard let the "full set" go away, i usually only change 2 itens of the original, or don't change nothing.

i find too difficult create an "new mog" with random pieces, they almost always look out of place, ugly and don't match well, most because of the colors
    Isn't that the challenge? :P

Though to be fair, before i create a new character, i spend days in wowhead, making transmog sets, until i find one that i really like with the class and race combo i took.

Note: That's why i only have my Hunter at max lvl (And no... the Hunter was not chosen this way, as you may understand.... Mail items are quite lackluster for transmog T.T )

Note2: Also i do thing that for many people, some sets harvor a special place in their hearts as it may remind them of a certain time on their wow experience.

Yeah? The set is designed by Blizzard to go together, there's no originality or anything unique about it so don't be upset if people call you out for being basic.

Full sets aren't bad, some of them look realy good. So it's not a bad transmog, it's a lazy one. I always try to mix and match pieces from different sets that work together in my opinion. It makes it more interesting knowing that the person didn't just took "ready made set" but put togther a good looking outfit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Isn't that the challenge? :P
    kinda, but the full sets are already very good, i don't find rly exciting go for an impossible mission to get one or two different, when their quality will be lower, most because of the colors, i think things would be great and easy with a free recolor option.

saying that, sometimes i do the random pieces, one time i did one kratos mog, and modesty aside, it was pretty good

10+ Year Old Account
    Full sets are fine. Depending on what they are. Are they rare? Like some of the older tier sets that can take weeks to farm and you want to wear it to show dedication? Sure. Fine. I see a lot of people running around in Legion tier 19 and 20 pvp sets though. Those take no effort to get and while the sets do look nice they are nothing special. Wear what you want.

Personally I want to go for something like this

Mixing different sets to create something unique.
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2018-12-10 at 10:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only good custom tmog sets are ones where you can recreate a recognizable character from another game.

Otherwise sets look better than homebrew tmogs 99.9% of the time.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted

You don't like a Monk in full Druid T3 Set (which matches the Class of a Monk too, see those tiny Yu'lon Dragons on the Shoulderpads)?

The only metric I use for my transmog sets is how good they look. NOTHING else. I don't care if it's original and I think anyone who thinks otherwise is too concerned with what others think of them.
    Tier set pieces are designed to match each other perfectly so it makes sense that most of the time a full tier set will look better than something original. That's why I use full tier sets most of the time and when I don't it's usually a case of ,,This set looks great except for the helm and/or shoulders so I will just use something with similar colors to replace it,, .