Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Did you even read the Song of Ice and Fire books?
    I said GOT. And while you mock me, yes or no question.

Does the wall collapse the first time it's under attack by the Zombies since it's creation ? YES/NO ?

(The Zombies outsmarting the defenders is not exactly negating this question : undead gophers would probably outsmart Jon Snow too.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Bad comparison, that wall worked for thousands of years, and took a dragon to take down Evean badly manned.

As much as I think the idea of a massive border wall is incredibly excessive, wall have historically worked. Hadrians wall worked for well over 500 years, the great wall of China for thousands. As far as methods of keeping people out walls are very effective historically :/
    Slowly. The wall was never attacked by the Zombies between the Long Night and present. Rather obviously, the awakening of the Zombie King is relatively recent
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-01-06 at 06:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    So you're saying the wall will work as long as we don't send any of our dragons over to Mexico to be killed and resurrected?
    I envision drunk American tourist coming back from Mexico defeating the Wall.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I said GOT. And while you mock me, yes or no question.

Does the wall collapse the first time it's under attack by the Zombies since it's creation ? YES/NO ?

(The Zombies outsmarting the defenders is not exactly negating this question : undead gophers would probably outsmart Jon Snow too.)

- - - Updated - - -

Slowly. The wall was never attacked by the Zombies between the Long Night and present. Rather obviously, the awakening of the Zombie King is relatively recent
    It was built after the long night but the magic bran the builder put in the wall is said to be partly why they haven't had a winter like the long night since.

It was more than just a big wall

It was built after the long night but the magic bran the builder put in the wall is said to be partly why they haven't had a winter like the long night since.

It was more than just a big wall
    Yet, again, it's a very porous defence against desperate Free People and a very flimsy one against the threat it was built against. You would think Trump could pick a wall stopped one invasion.

Deleted
    Yet, again, it's a very porous defence against desperate Free People and a very flimsy one against the threat it was built against. You would think Trump could pick a wall stopped one invasion.
    It stopped many invasions by wildlings over its thousand years, stopped on by mancraider in season 1 as well. That had giants and mammoths and shit.

Unless these "free people" have an undead dragon I can't see what your argument is?

Why are we using fictional walls to discuss a wall in the real world any way? It's fiction a wall works or not depending on how it serves the plot.

In the real world we have had plenty of big boarder walls that also worked for as long as they were needed. Like I said I think a wall is excessive considering americas not defending it's self against the Mongols or picts but historically for keeping people out they have worked really well.

I'm called stupid for pointing out that alt-righters seems to love walls in fiction but do no bother to check much with the efficiency of those walls ?

For instance, I was called a retard and deranged for pointing out several months ago that a previous supposedly hilarious meme was about Attack on Titan-a textbook example of walls being completely useless since in addition of being actually to keep prisoners the protagonists, the fracking wall is breached two minutes into the show
    The Wall stood for over 8000 years. Just because the Wall proved useless against Dragons (which, once again, did not come from the North and did not even exist in Westeros at the time of the Wall's construction) does not mean it was inefficient. All that means is that Walls made from Ice are generally not that good against massive flying creatures that can breathe fire.

Same goes for Attack on Titan really. The walls stood for 100 years. They were very successful at keeping the regular titans out...which is what they were designed to do. Without those Walls... humanity would have been extinct long before the Colossal Titan ever showed up.

Saying these walls are useless because they couldn't stand against an attack that they were never designed to stand up against is like calling horses useless because eventually someone is going to make a car.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a very good defense against the threat it was built against. It stood for 8000 years against the threat it was built to go up against. It just wasn't built to go up against an Undead Dragon.

It's like calling Harrenhal "inefficient" because it wasn't able to stand up to Dragonfire.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsMBeLbFLxd/

I would point out that the wall, in addition of not working very well against infiltration, lasted exactly two minutes when under serious attack in GOT last season.
    Are you implying Mexico has dragons?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Guys, you heard it here. If a political candidate doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of Game of Thrones, they are a bad president.

I'll admit that it was incredibly cringey, but believe it or not, not everything Trump says is newsworthy. This isn't the first thing he has posted that was cringeworthy and it won't be the last.

If you want to bash Trump please find something he has done that is actually negative and worth discussing. It shouldn't be hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad comparison, that wall worked for thousands of years, and took a dragon to take down Evean badly manned.

As much as I think the idea of a massive border wall is incredibly excessive, wall have historically worked. Hadrians wall worked for well over 500 years, the great wall of China for thousands. As far as methods of keeping people out walls are very effective historically :/
    Can you say the wall in GoT worked for thousands of years if no one was trying to topple it?

When the Night King actually wanted to get past the wall he did so effortlessly. And thats with less resources lying around to topple it (lets just say only a dragon could do it) than if he had dont it say 200 years prior. The Night King had 0 problems marching towards the wall and knocking it down from the he started his campaign to when he breached the wall...none.

If the Wall is meant to keep the Cartels out then its already useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguirrel View Post
    But the danger lies to the north of the wall....
    Wall coming to the border of US and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    Obviously you didn't watch or read the series either. Or are you comparing economic migrants to an army of undead?
    What are you talking about, the books went into great detail about how the Wall could be scaled by small parties of Wildlings (even with its ridiculous height) and really its main purpose wasn't to stop that but to hold up large armies long enough for the Night's Watch to respond. Which it can hardly do because of the immense manpower required to guard that length of wall. Pretty accurate depiction of walls throughout history, GRRM did his research there.

And no, I think the analogy is between asylum seekers and the Wildlings, who Jon Snow let through the Wall because he realised that they're not faceless monsters but regular human beings no better or worse than any of the other people of Westeros.

So yeah, a sound analogy all round.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    The Wall stood for over 8000 years. Just because the Wall proved useless against Dragons (which, once again, did not come from the North and did not even exist in Westeros at the time of the Wall's construction) does not mean it was inefficient. All that means is that Walls made from Ice are generally not that good against massive flying creatures that can breathe fire.
    Wildlings regularly crossed the Wall. Sometimes in raiding parties large enough to assault outlying settlements.

The Wall, just like Trump's fantasy wall, would be useless for stopping migrants. Walls are designed to slow armies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Did you even read the Song of Ice and Fire books?
    Remember when Rattleshirt and his men crossed the Wall and formed an army that nearly overwhelmed Castle Black?

Remember how it's finally revealed (in the books) that Mance Rayder really did have the Horn of Winter the whole time, and could've levelled the Wall at any time, and only didn't because he was afraid that without it the North would be no safer than the Wildlings were in their own lands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can you say the wall in GoT worked for thousands of years if no one was trying to topple it?

When the Night King actually wanted to get past the wall he did so effortlessly. And thats with less resources lying around to topple it (lets just say only a dragon could do it) than if he had dont it say 200 years prior. The Night King had 0 problems marching towards the wall and knocking it down from the he started his campaign to when he breached the wall...none.

If the Wall is meant to keep the Cartels out then its already useless.
    To say the Might King had less resources now then he did 200 years ago is not factual. There were never any dragons in the North until Dany brought one.

That's not to say that Trump's wall will be successful at all though. There are plenty of good angles to come at it without making a very stretching reach into fantasy television.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

What is incoherent in pointing out that the Wall in GOT is expensive, impossible to effectively man and does not actually work
    Except it did work for a very long time until a massive undead dragon attacked it which is a game changer in itself. The very fact that people are trying to relate the wall getting destroyed in GoT to why Trump's wall is a stupid idea is just ridiculously stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm called stupid for pointing out that alt-righters seems to love walls in fiction but do no bother to check much with the efficiency of those walls ?

For instance, I was called a retard and deranged for pointing out several months ago that a previous supposedly hilarious meme was about Attack on Titan-a textbook example of walls being completely useless since in addition of being actually to keep prisoners the protagonists, the fracking wall is breached two minutes into the show
    No, you're called stupid because you've given them proof that you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    To say the Might King had less resources now then he did 200 years ago is not factual. There were never any dragons in the North until Dany brought one.

That's not to say that Trump's wall will be successful at all though. There are plenty of good angles to come at it without making a very stretching reach into fantasy television.
    I'm just saying that there was a lot more dragons to choose from without making the discussion too much about the show.

Seems like a wall that stood for 7000 years, stopping 100% of what it was built to stop, is a pretty good wall. I dunno. Those amounts of years seems like many.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Are you implying Mexico has dragons?
    I think he's saying they have undead dragons.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm just saying that there was a lot more dragons to choose from without making the discussion too much about the show.
    None of them were in the North though...so the amount of dragons is meaningless.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of them were in the North though...so the amount of dragons is meaningless.
    You watched the show. It only takes one person to ride a dragon up there for the Night King to get one. There were plenty of naive Targaryen's that the Night King could have baited into bringing a dragon to fight him. I think it's more plausible to say the Night King didn't know that there were so few dragons left - his plan was to turn a dragon from the jump (otherwise you have a gapping plot hole).

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Remember when Rattleshirt and his men crossed the Wall and formed an army that nearly overwhelmed Castle Black?

Remember how it's finally revealed (in the books) that Mance Rayder really did have the Horn of Winter the whole time, and could've levelled the Wall at any time, and only didn't because he was afraid that without it the North would be no safer than the Wildlings were in their own lands?
    A lot of what you said was pretty much wrong, but I want to point out this because I've seen some people make this mistake as well. Mance was bluffing about the horn, they didn't find it that was only said to have the power to bring down the wall and summon giants, Tormund tells this to Jon. You find that out in the book.

Castle Black was also very unmanned with most of the defenders on the wall defending from the main wildling army while a small group of wildlings attacked the gate.

We're gonna build a wall

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    A lot of what you said was pretty much wrong, but I want to point out this because I've seen some people make this mistake as well. Mance was bluffing about the horn, they didn't find it that was only said to have the power to bring down the wall and summon giants, Tormund tells this to Jon. You find that out in the book.

Castle Black was also very unmanned with most of the defenders on the wall defending from the main wildling army while a small group of wildlings attacked the gate.
    Thats just another strike against that walls usefulness. It was too big to be adequately manned. A band of Wilding were able to overrun it. Therefore the Night Watch had no chance of holding it against the Night King and his massive army of magic zombies.