Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Speculation] N'Zoth: Illidan gave himself to the deep places, gave himself to me.

So the opening cinematic from Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne says it all. Hes the one who ushered the Naga into the world.

In the War of The Ancients novel, its suggested that several being more powerful than Sargeras were augmenting Illidans Spell to shut down the Well of Eternity. Why would he willingly stay behind at the Seat of The Pantheon?

The Twilight Cult talks about the unseen victory at the Seat of the Pantheon, Illidan, working for the Void may have consumed the power of Sargeras in his weakened state. Illidan, like the Void really wanted the Legions end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SardaukarMikhail View Post
    So the opening cinematic from Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne says it all. Hes the one who ushered the Naga into the world.

In the War of The Ancients novel, its suggested that several being more powerful than Sargeras were augmenting Illidans Spell to shut down the Well of Eternity. Why would he willingly stay behind at the Seat of The Pantheon?

The Twilight Cult talks about the unseen victory at the Seat of the Pantheon, Illidan, working for the Void may have consumed the power of Sargeras in his weakened state. Illidan, like the Void really wanted the Legions end.

this..... makes sense actually

Misleading title. N'zoth never said that.

Yet Illidan wants the Legion's end because the Legion threatens Azeroth. Illidan's main goal is the protection of the world, and N'zoth and his Void masters seek to consume all life on Azeroth (just look at the End Times dungeon). I don't see Illidan being a pawn of the Void Lords.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

It would explain how he just blew up Xe'ra like it was nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SardaukarMikhail View Post

The old gods wanted the portal to stay active. hence why they allowed the Legion to get the demon / dragon soul. Also why they tried to stop Deathwing from getting it back. They were planning on using the artifact to hijack the portal that was meant for Sargeras so that they could be free from their prisons. I doubt the Old Gods were the ones backing Illidan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    It would explain how he just blew up Xe'ra like it was nothing.
    Xe'ra was attempting to force her "gift" onto Illidan. Illidan didn't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    Misleading title. N'zoth never said that.
    "He gave himself to the deep places. He gave himself to me."

AFAIK was one of the datamined quotes, but yeah, the title is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    Yet Illidan wants the Legion's end because the Legion threatens Azeroth. Illidan's main goal is the protection of the world, and N'zoth and his Void masters seek to consume all life on Azeroth (just look at the End Times dungeon). I don't see Illidan being a pawn of the Void Lords.
    Maybe not knowingly, but he helped them out a lot by taking Sargeras out of the equation...

10+ Year Old Account
    also,, i doubt Blizz had a concept of what the "Old gods" were to become within their story all the way back then, if i remember correctly there was a unit during the campaign called "Forgotten One" that Arthas and Anubarak fought that resembles what C'Thun looks like

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Illidan crossed paths with some Old God influence to get the naga, but I doubt he's a full-on thrall of theirs, certainly not wittingly and probably not unwittingly neither. Sargeras being taken off the board/the Void learning of the Seat of the Pantheon through Xal'atath might be legit wins for the Void, but that's incidental.

Oh yeah.

Good point.

"Unleash the tides of doom on all who oppose us."

Then there was the time when he tried to destroy Icecrown and almost unwittingly released Yogg-saron.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-01-14 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Maybe not knowingly, but he helped them out a lot by taking Sargeras out of the equation...
    Well Illidan actually helped everyone with taking out Sargeras, even the Pantheon got a lot of benefits with him imprisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Oh yeah.

Good point.

"Unleash the tides of doom on all who oppose us."

Then there was the time when he tried to destroy Icecrown and almost unwittingly released Yogg-saron.

Thats true, it would have let Yogg-saron out of his prison

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LoaThaFett View Post
    also,, i doubt Blizz had a concept of what the "Old gods" were to become within their story all the way back then, if i remember correctly there was a unit during the campaign called "Forgotten One" that Arthas and Anubarak fought that resembles what C'Thun looks like
    Well I'm sure this plot wasn't 15+ years in the making. but when they started working on Legion and planning the future expansions, they thought making him an solider of the void would be a pretty good throw back, something Blizzard is a fan of. Hes always quoted his past lines from years ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    maybe they had, the idea, just not the thing with void lords yet or a finished idea, but the lovecraft thing was already there, they just didn't use it.

Yeah, I don't think the Old Gods were even a thing back then. Even if they had an idea of what they want to do with them, which I sincerely doubt, it's hard to imagine N'zoth could have wanted to release Yogg. Let's remember the Old Gods are as likely to fight each other as to fight us, and if they are allied, it is specifically to fight a larger threat (like the Titans). And so it's more believable to me that N'zoth could have wanted to take LK and Yogg out at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Illidan was locked away for 10,000 years. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the Old Gods whispered to him a few times, why else would he even know of the Naga or how to call them?

It's been revealed that Vashj was still loyal to Azshara and the Old Gods and that they wanted to support Illidan. He also had the support of the Satyr aswell. His Dragonmaw are also working with Sinestra which leads to Deathwing getting Twilight dragons!

Illidan supposedly knows the truth, more than anyone else of what's going on, yet he only focuses on the Legion and never once makes mention of the Legion's purpose to stop the Void Lords. The Legion being the biggest threat to the Void Lords arrival into the universe. Now with him jailing Sargeras, the Void Lords can manipulate the demons into working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    Illidan's main goal was revenge. He put Azeroth at extreme risk by tearing a hole between it and Argus, just for the sake of forcing a final showdown. He worked with Naga and demons, and even served Kil'jaeden's interests just to get an angle. He would have teamed up with just about anyone or anything to get at Sargeras. I don't particularly want to see him pull yet another 180, but this theory sounds super plausible.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Illidan's only mistake was opening the portal to Argus in legion allowing them direct contact from a far more infected part of the universe, we do not know how much void energy got through while it was open but it is safe to assume a shitload lol.

Magni makes more sense

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    Illidan's main goal was revenge. He put Azeroth at extreme risk by tearing a hole between it and Argus, just for the sake of forcing a final showdown. He worked with Naga and demons, and even served Kil'jaeden's interests just to get an angle. He would have teamed up with just about anyone or anything to get at Sargeras. I don't particularly want to see him pull yet another 180, but this theory sounds super plausible.
    Well the thing is, in WC3 17 years ago, the prophecy so to speak was that Sargeras coming into the world would set the Old Gods free. Blizzard did do a throw back with Illidan stating "Sometimes the hand of fate must be forced" Aside from this we have Maiev's removed dialog where she suspects Illidan had ulterior motives for opening the rift.

"One of the Legion's masters has fallen at last, yet this war is far from over. Was this the true plan of Sargeras all along? His ultimate endgame? Or perhaps this is another's doing. Someone who has betrayed this world before. <Maiev narrows her eyes as she looks toward the sky.> I will be watching... and ready"