Taysom Hill is a gimmick like Tim Tebow. Did you think the Broncos were being aggressive by having Tim Tebow on the field? Did you think the Ravens formations this year with both Lamar Jackson and Flacco on the field was aggressive? Taysom Hill is not a good passer, he's a runner, and that he was able to throw that pass last night was an indication of how badly the Eagles blew that coverage, that's it. Payton's aggressiveness has only ever shown itself 1) in the playoffs, facing elimination, and 2) when he's down significantly and needs to jump start his team.

Even the fake punt from the 30 yesterday, it was 4th and 1. McVay lines up in a normal formation and goes for that. Going for it on 4th and 1 is becoming the norm in the league, because if you can't gain 1 yard, you don't deserve to be out there.

The 4th and goal down 14-0 is a numbers game. Kicking a field goal keeps it a 2 score game, and is functionally useless. Going for the TD is the only correct call, if you miss, guess what, you're still down only two scores and your opponent is pinned on their own 2. Following the numbers isn't "being aggressive."

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Taysom Hill is a gimmick like Tim Tebow. Did you think the Broncos were being aggressive by having Tim Tebow on the field? Did you think the Ravens formations this year with both Lamar Jackson and Flacco on the field was aggressive? Taysom Hill is not a good passer, he's a runner, and that he was able to throw that pass last night was an indication of how badly the Eagles blew that coverage, that's it. Payton's aggressiveness has only ever shown itself 1) in the playoffs, facing elimination, and 2) when he's down significantly and needs to jump start his team.

Even the fake punt from the 30 yesterday, it was 4th and 1. McVay lines up in a normal formation and goes for that. Going for it on 4th and 1 is becoming the norm in the league, because if you can't gain 1 yard, you don't deserve to be out there.

The 4th and goal down 14-0 is a numbers game. Kicking a field goal keeps it a 2 score game, and is functionally useless. Going for the TD is the only correct call, if you miss, guess what, you're still down only two scores. Following the numbers isn't "being aggressive."
    Let's dial it down a bit. Do you think McVay goes for it on 4th and 1 from his own 30 like that? I sure don't think he would do it. Again, coaches fail the 'numbers' game all the time. If the game was being played by the numbers you'd see FAR less punts period. In the NFL following the correct math is aggressive, it is as simple as that. It is sad to say that and even to watch that but that is the NFL in 2018/2019. Slowly getting more aggressive but still not where it needs to be.

Anyways, you can argue McVay being more aggressive til you are blue in the face. What I know is that the Rams didn't fare well on 4th down attempts this year and didn't even attempts as many as other teams(averaged less than 1 per game). Hell New Orleans didn't attempt enough 4th downs in my eyes either but was way better at converting them. Really there isn't enough evidence of McVay being ultra aggressive from what I've witnessed and on the flip side Sean Payton has that moniker due to past situations.

He does if he's down 14-0 near the end of the first half, yes. The Rams attempted less 4th downs than average because they rarely got to 3rd down, let alone 4th. Your homer-ness is showing. I'm not a fan of either team, and McVay has been far more aggressive in 2 years than Payton has been in his decade with the Saints.

Not really a surprise to anyone, but if a team wants Kubiak as their OC, they will need to hire Rick Dennison as the o-line coach, Brian Pariani as the TE coach and Klint Kubiak as the QB coach. Makes complete sense why Fangio and/or Elway didn't want 2 of those back.

Kyler Murray declared for the draft. He must really prefer football to baseball to skip out on baseball money and get beat up a lot more. Probably a good year to do it when there isn't really anyone behind Haskins though.

Mike Munchak is officially the Broncos o-line coach. Hiring an o-line coach before an offensive coordinator is an interesting move.

Adam Gase has always looked like that, probably a result of working with Josh McDaniels.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kubiak joining the Vikings as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Assistant, his son will be their QB Coach, and Stefanski will still be OC.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Kubiak joining the Vikings as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Assistant, his son will be their QB Coach, and Stefanski will still be OC.
    Is that a confirmed fact or speculation or...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Sounds like a done deal.
    /s

All I've heard today is that Nate Hackett (one of our former OCs who was OC down in Jacksonville) is going to be OC in Green Bay for Aaron Rodgers.

I thought Matt LaFleur was the offensive genius and would be playcalling, but I guess not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Least reported fact of the day.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...40632064475136

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    All I've heard today is that Nate Hackett (one of our former OCs who was OC down in Jacksonville) is going to be OC in Green Bay for Aaron Rodgers.

I thought Matt LaFleur was the offensive genius and would be playcalling, but I guess not?
    LaFleur will be calling plays he's said. So hell if I know why he needs an OC, but McCarthy did the same thing with Philbin, McAdoo, and then Philbin again.

10+ Year Old Account
    LaFleur was OC for the Rams but McVay called plays, not uncommon, but it did cause LaFleur to seek a OC position where he could call plays with Tennessee.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I just watched back the Chiefs-Patriots game from earlier this season on Game Pass, and there were a few things I had forgotten about that game:

1) The Patriots, especially in the first half, ran the ball down KC's throat and shortened time of possession for the Chiefs

2) Hightower was a HUGE factor on defense

3) Gronk had 2 huge catches, even though his impact in the passing game was minimal outside of those 2

4) Pretty much every botched play the Patriots had lead to KC points

5) Patriots still had Flash Gordon to take the top off the defense

All in all I came away from that rewatch feeling like the Patriots have a good shot in this game, better than I thought they did. Still going to be really hard though, in Arrowhead, in the cold, against that offense.

People will go "but it will be cold, and that effects the pass game, and KC will suffer more" to which I'd argue that if it's cold and hard to throw, who would you rather have, the normal QB or the QB that's proven all year he can make ridiculously far and hard throws? Yeah exactly, I would go with Mahomes being the better choice in the cold too.

Least reported fact of the day.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...40632064475136

- - - Updated - - -

LaFleur will be calling plays he's said. So hell if I know why he needs an OC, but McCarthy did the same thing with Philbin, McAdoo, and then Philbin again.
    It's officially announced, though no mention of Rick Dennison as the OL coach.

https://www.vikings.com/news/minneso...?sf205961326=1

10+ Year Old Account
    I just watched back the Chiefs-Patriots game from earlier this season on Game Pass, and there were a few things I had forgotten about that game:

1) The Patriots, especially in the first half, ran the ball down KC's throat and shortened time of possession for the Chiefs

2) Hightower was a HUGE factor on defense

3) Gronk had 2 huge catches, even though his impact in the passing game was minimal outside of those 2

4) Pretty much every botched play the Patriots had lead to KC points

5) Patriots still had Flash Gordon to take the top off the defense

All in all I came away from that rewatch feeling like the Patriots have a good shot in this game, better than I thought they did. Still going to be really hard though, in Arrowhead, in the cold, against that offense.

People will go "but it will be cold, and that effects the pass game, and KC will suffer more" to which I'd argue that if it's cold and hard to throw, who would you rather have, the normal QB or the QB that's proven all year he can make ridiculously far and hard throws? Yeah exactly, I would go with Mahomes being the better choice in the cold too.
    I read that and the biggest takeaway for me is "The deciding factor will be KC's defense."

They need to shut down the run, which they did good at against the Colts, and they need to force errors for the offense to capitalize off of. Honestly the lack of Gordon could end up being huge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read that and the biggest takeaway for me is "The deciding factor will be KC's defense."

They need to shut down the run, which they did good at against the Colts, and they need to force errors for the offense to capitalize off of. Honestly the lack of Gordon could end up being huge.
    I forgot to mention 1 other thing. Chiefs didn't have Edge Justin Houston. That probably makes some difference for them too. Only guy that was out and back for this game for the Patriots is Rex Burkhead.

But yeah, I don;t disagree that the defenses are the difference and KC's probably more so than the Patriots. We know both offenses will put up points when needed.

The Conference Championships are hard to predict. So far, I'm 7/8.

Saints over Rams.
    Patriots over Chiefs.

To be honest, Saints had a very poor performance and could've lost to Phillies, so I'm not a believer. Maybe they'll get their shit together this week, though.

The Patriots Chiefs game, idk. I feel like Chiefs are better, but Patriots played well. I actually wish I could say Chiefs win, but...I don't even know who the Chiefs quarterback is lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    To be honest, Saints had a very poor performance and could've lost to Phillies
    I don't even know who the Chiefs quarterback is lol.
    You should work for ESPN if they ever fire Stephen A. Smith.
    /s

Brady is 23-4 in his career in sub 30 degree weather, 5-1 in sub-20. He's proven to be great in cold weather, Mahomes is the unknown when the temperatures drop. That being said, I still expect the Pats to try and run the ball down the Chiefs throat most of the game and the Chiefs defense has shown no ability to stop the run all season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramayana1423 View Post
    Brady is 23-4 in his career in sub 30 degree weather, 5-1 in sub-20. He's proven to be great in cold weather, Mahomes is the unknown when the temperatures drop. That being said, I still expect the Pats to try and run the ball down the Chiefs throat most of the game and the Chiefs defense has shown no ability to stop the run all season.
    All good points but I will raise once again the key points for why the Patriots won't win this game despite absolutely pantsing the Chargers at home.

Belichick is 20-3 at home in the playoffs, he's 3-4 on the road.

The last time the Patriots have won a road AFC Championship was 2004, they've lost 3 since (all to Peyton Manning).

The Patriots were 3-5 on the road this season with wins against the Bills, Jets, and Bears. Losses against the Jags, Lions, Titans, Dolphins, and Steelers.

Arrowhead remains one of the toughest places to play for road teams.

The Chiefs beat the Colts last week in a bad weather game. The Colts, by the way, used the same strategy you described in the Wild Card Round to beat the Texans; ram Marlon Mack down their throat.