Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So this post still exists:

So one kind of user, like @Skroe and @Mormolyce gets banned for pointing out trolling (and certainly no hidden agenda of @Thwart) and this one is kept around? Some consistency would be nice or the pretense of it at least.

And yes, I did report it, you just don't do something about it.
    Last edited by Mekh; 2019-01-17 at 11:14 AM.

You actually made a post about it? geez, stop trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

It's almost as if mods are humans who are not even paid for their work.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It's almost as if mods are humans who are not even paid for their work.
    If you're saying you want to see me doing a better job, consider this my application.

I reported your post 5 seconds ago and its still there.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I reported your post 5 seconds ago and its still there.
    Well, I gave them more than 12 hours. They're always fast when it comes to @Skroe.

time to play a forum game, this time it's "who's alt acc is it?".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Well, I gave them more than 12 hours. They're always fast when it comes to @Skroe.
    welp, looks like it's game over.

10+ Year Old Account

So one kind of user, like @Skroe and @Mormolyce gets banned for pointing out trolling (and certainly no hidden agenda of @Thwart) and this one is kept around? Some consistency would be nice or the pretense of it at least.

IM a Blue or an Admin. Creating a thread to complain about moderation is a good way to catch an infraction and get your thread locked.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    What?! You mean mods are biased as fuck and go out of their way to punish certain people over the smallest of stepping out of line while letting others just do whatever the fuck they want? SAY IT ISN'T SO!

No seriously though, they do this shit. I've had people cuss me out before, and not a single fuck is/was given.
    Or.... OR... You know... Bear with me here... Maybe there was no moderator able to take care of the reported post yet? They are humans too, and they ain't paid for it.

@Mekh Shouldn't have made this thread in the first place. PM a Blue if it is a problem. Discussion of moderation isn't permitted.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Or.... OR... You know... Bear with me here... Maybe there was no moderator able to take care of the reported post yet? They are humans too, and they ain't paid for it.

@Mekh Shouldn't have made this thread in the first place. PM a Blue if it is a problem. Discussion of moderation isn't permitted.
    I know it's gonna get locked and I know I'm going to receive an infraction. I'm posting publicly, because they are completely intransparent when dealing with complaints.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it's gonna get locked and I know I'm going to receive an infraction. I'm posting publicly, because they are completely intransparent when dealing with complaints.
    Complaints tends to be handled off-screen no matter what. The lack of reaction though isn't a complaint on one person but a group that might need more active moderators. If you believe you can be an asset to the moderation team, then MMO-champion recruits new moderators in waves. You just go click their link and sign up, and you'll then among the next wave, get an answer if you've

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "Intransparent" - well..what would you change? Have a section where infraction are displayed daily and reasons given? And another where every complaint / report is made public and then reasons given why action / no action was taken?

Yeah, not all reports are acted upon in a matter that I would have liked and not all PMs to a mod were answered. Some do (usually a global mod) but it can take a day or more. So...a PM to a global mod would have been smarter.

As @Gehco pointed out: It is a duty they do without payments in their free time and possibly in a different timezone.

So do take the chance as you offered. Next time mod recruitements are up, put in that application.
    Oh, I recall the horror when I was a moderator. Not many EU ones were available when I was, so I was many times in the bot waves without many to pull on as most were US.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Report it, if you're not satisfied with the response, PM a blue. This is entirely the wrong way to go about it

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been months since I reported some of them, and I've checked back regularly.
    Some examples?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this is a suggestion forum... may I suggest handing out infractions on immidiate offense, instead of letting it build up? This way a lot of the complaining about phantom infractions and infractions that never come, would disappear. It simply adds another layer of subjectivity, which lends it self to these shit storms.

Also, is it possible for those trolling to hook several people, get a heavier punishment than the people who fell for the troll? The same would apply to those who start trolling threads vs those who troll in threads. The KPI would shift to the impact of a single troll on the community. Were one that hooks several people and generates more garbage, would receive a greater punishment.

Last one, just for accountability and thus kill some conspiracy theories. Could it be a forum rule that a mod edits every post they infract, with a reason for it? Not only would it contribute to accountability, it restates the TOS, for those who won’t click the TOS to read it. It would also create clearly defined confines for others to stay within.

Just sayin...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Some examples?
    There are many... there is a “fan” that keeps going on rants insulting people for a page, but otherwise posts constructively. For my, not conspiracy theory, OMG everyone out to get me, mind set... I believe it’s due to a system where infractions build up, for mods to take action. Since others cannot see that scale, they immediately assume it’s going unnoticed.

To me, that’s an issue with transparency and the build up technique. Infract people for a day immediately, instead of waiting and resulting in paranoid thinking there is a master plan and people getting hooked by trolls to stop replying. Transparency is key...

Edit: It’s actually pretty simple. If a troll gets infracted immediately, they wouldn’t generate the replies calling him a troll, since an authority would already do it. That’s straight up saving bandwith. In the build up system, we get vigilante who by virtue of not seeing the hidden infraction scale, take justice into their own hands... which just creates more scales. I believe that the hidden scale of infractions, is the root of majority of confusion around infractions.
    Last edited by Felya; 2019-01-17 at 03:07 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Since this is a suggestion forum... may I suggest handing out infractions on immidiate offense, instead of letting it build up? This way a lot of the complaining about phantom infractions and infractions that never come, would disappear. It simply adds another layer of subjectivity, which lends it self to these shit storms.

Also, is it possible for those trolling to hook several people, get a heavier punishment than the people who fell for the troll? The same would apply to those who start trolling threads vs those who troll in threads. The KPI would shift to the impact of a single troll on the community. Were one that hooks several people and generates more garbage, would receive a greater punishment.

Last one, just for accountability and thus kill some conspiracy theories. Could it be a forum rule that a mod edits every post they infract, with a reason for it? Not only would it contribute to accountability, it restates the TOS, for those who won’t click the TOS to read it. It would also create clearly defined confines for others to stay within.

Just sayin...

- - - Updated - - -

There are many... there is a “fan” that keeps going on rants insulting people for a page, but otherwise posts constructively. For my, not conspiracy theory, OMG everyone out to get me, mind set... I believe it’s due to a system where infractions build up, for mods to take action. Since others cannot see that scale, they immediately assume it’s going unnoticed.

To me, that’s an issue with transparency and the build up technique. Infract people for a day immediately, instead of waiting and resulting in paranoid thinking there is a master plan and people getting hooked by trolls to stop replying. Transparency is key...

Edit: It’s actually pretty simple. If a troll gets infracted immediately, they wouldn’t generate the replies calling him a troll, since an authority would already do it. That’s straight up saving bandwith. In the build up system, we get vigilante who by virtue of not seeing the hidden infraction scale, take justice into their own hands... which just creates more scales. I believe that the hidden scale of infractions, is the root of majority of confusion around infractions.
    Reasonable and good summary, one note though: We can see infractions tied to specific posts, which is how I know the post in the OP has not been punished.

You win some you lose some. In the past Mormolyce was allowed to insult me several times while mods did nothing. If you got problem with moderation take it to blue guys.

You should see my suspension history. It's just offended people who can't handle the truth and the forums calling it trolling. They don't know what trolling means.

15+ Year Old Account
    What?! You mean mods are biased as fuck and go out of their way to punish certain people over the smallest of stepping out of line while letting others just do whatever the fuck they want? SAY IT ISN'T SO!

No seriously though, they do this shit. I've had people cuss me out before, and not a single fuck is/was given.
    Leotheras speaks the truth here. I have seen the same thing time and time again.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

Just sayin...

- - - Updated - - -

Before the thread gets locked (and it's gonna get locked; this is against site rules folks), I'll offer some explanation as an ex-mod. Caveat that this only describes internal policy during my time as a mod and it's quite possible it can or has changed.

Infractions are handed out to cover bad behaviour, but while they're applied to a single post, they cover conduct prior to that post; despite being applied to a specific post they're essentially an account-level process (not precisely, since there's also account-based infractions, but those are RARELY used, usually just to close evade/spam accounts).

So if a guy calls other users "fucktards" over 5 posts before a moderator sees it (either via reports or reading the thread), they'll get one infraction, typically on the most recent post rather than the first, ideally. If the behaviour is REALLY bad, it may warrant more points, but they'll still get one infraction, it'll just be for 10 or 15 points rather than the usual 5, as opposed to issuing two or three 5-pointers in a row. The idea is that the infraction should cover all their conduct up to that point, sometimes across several threads.

With that kind of system, it's really easy for posts to look like they weren't handled; there's no red card, no moderator comments, etc. But they were. It's harder if the points aren't enough to ban them, since users can't easily figure out who was infracted or for which posts, not without checking their entire recent post history.

I agree mods should be marking posts they hit. I did so in my time as a mod. I had a keyboard macro for it, actually, to ensure it was standardized (I could edit before submission if it warranted something more than [Infracted], such as [Infracted - Flaming] or whatever). This makes it easier to locate for users. It makes the action more visible, and giving more than just INFRACTED can explain why a particular post was hit; if they're making a political post but called someone else a "buttnugget fuckhole", putting "flaming" into the note makes it clear there's a flaming insult in there and the infraction isn't about politics, for instance.

Unless something's changed, there's no "build up" for infractions. There is for bans; those get triggered at 15 points, with the hope that a couple offenses help you learn where the line is. There just might not be a mod around to take action on something, and once we do there's like 5 bad posts and they've gotta decide whether it warrants an upgrade to point value or not.

Again, caveat that the above is just from my own experience from a year ago and beyond. I don't think those particular things have changed (they didn't while I was a mod), but that's how it was then. And none of the above is really "secret" or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Endus thanks. I think that’s really the issue, people are confused and perceptions are... well...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi