Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    How is that forced bad acting? He was purposely taking the piss and forcing an over the top laugh as part of the scene. I mean at least play the game before you criticize it.
    Try that in real life. Good acting works in real life, if you do this in real life people will look at you like a fucking moron, no matter the situation. Instead of wrongly guessing what games people played, analyze your own situation and how you don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Which is why I said build upon it. I really started to enjoy the combat and how tactical and fluid it could be once you learned.
    The problem is the action style combat works for a game like The Witcher because you're playing Geralt.

Final Fantasy games have traditionally had anywhere from 3 to 5 members in the party, which is where action RPG combat tends to start to show its inabilities. Prompto with his ranged gun attacks always going into melee range, the frenetic design making magic a pain in the ass to use (friendly fire making it worse), AI burning MP like crazy, and summons being a complete garbage system of random situations you have to determine and then basically have a sucktastic fight to trigger a summon.

And they already have multiple Kingdom Hearts entries utilizing a similar combat system and everyone STILL jokes about Donald Duck using offensive magic when the entire party needs healing.

If they're going the route of basically making this a single protagonist hack and slash button mashing action RPG series with a couple of worthless AI that just hang out, they need to at least give us Dragon Age: Origins levels of AI command hierarchy along with the Bioware "pause and give commands" system.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    There's a lot of things I wish for Final Fantasy. One of which is to go back to being an open world rather than a series of glorified corridors you teleport to.

Also, would it kill them to make a NON-humanoid character again? Like Red-XIII?
    Or at least more of the illusion of open world. If you really analyze the games, the openness has often been illusory with certain segments or halves of games being an exception, which has been why they're able to offer strong narrative focus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    We have heard nothing about it being episodic or about the combat system since Square took it back in house. These could possibly be the same yes, but saying they will be that 100% is false, we don't know what SE has decided to do with it since it pulled it back in.
    Latest interview with articles just this month indicate one of the things that's causing development to go so slow is the transition to action RPG because of how much that requires in area design to allow for full movement during combat. It's going to be XV'ish, though the early screenshots having the original menu options on screen make me think there might be a bit of a unique spin on it.

Supposedly we'll get a big reveal with a lot of information this year, hopefully including a full look at all the character designs as well as the combat and materia systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    The problem is the action style combat works for a game like The Witcher because you're playing Geralt.

Final Fantasy games have traditionally had anywhere from 3 to 5 members in the party, which is where action RPG combat tends to start to show its inabilities. Prompto with his ranged gun attacks always going into melee range, the frenetic design making magic a pain in the ass to use (friendly fire making it worse), AI burning MP like crazy, and summons being a complete garbage system of random situations you have to determine and then basically have a sucktastic fight to trigger a summon.

And they already have multiple Kingdom Hearts entries utilizing a similar combat system and everyone STILL jokes about Donald Duck using offensive magic when the entire party needs healing.

If they're going the route of basically making this a single protagonist hack and slash button mashing action RPG series with a couple of worthless AI that just hang out, they need to at least give us Dragon Age: Origins levels of AI command hierarchy along with the Bioware "pause and give commands" system.
    There are definitely flaws when it comes to the party I agree... Still loved the actual combat YOU were doing and I would like it if they continued it, while making party management and commands for them much better. Not sure how they could make it work though.
    I don't mind if they go back to strictly turn based as it used to be since I like that system too. I just find it a shame that the combat system they made felt so unique and good only to have it scrapped.

No idea why people call it button mashing though since it was literally hold the attack button(more games should do this) and you use your stick to maneuver and do different attacks mid combo. Hated it at first, now I wish more games do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Try that in real life. Good acting works in real life, if you do this in real life people will look at you like a fucking moron, no matter the situation. Instead of wrongly guessing what games people played, analyze your own situation and how you don't understand it.
    Yeah you're wrong on this one, I've seen people literally doing this in real life to get attention towards themselves acting dumb. I've not wrongly guessed anything, if you've played FF10 and cannot see the situation for what it is then you're definitely no judge to be talking about what is or isn't bad acting.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    No idea why people call it button mashing though since it was literally hold the attack button(more games should do this) and you use your stick to maneuver and do different attacks mid combo. Hated it at first, now I wish more games do it.
    Most of the fights were just brain dead to me. Like you said, just hold a button until everything was dead. Very VERY few fights posed any challenge and big "challenge" fights like Adamantoise was just a monotonous drone of boredom doing the same thing a hundred times.

I utterly despised XV's combat. From what little I played of the HD release, I'd prefer Type-0 over XV.

BUT...I'm not going to say XV had a bad combat system because it functionally worked and thus it comes down more to an opinion, but I'll gladly say everything I thought was horrible about it and why I personally despised it.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF story lines/writing have been hot trash for a long time in my opinion, anything after 9 and 10, hell even both of those were kinda iffy. FF has always been and will almost certainly be my #1 gaming franchise, but it's been a real slog trying to get though most of them since 7.

Related to this, the DQ series is hanging in there. I actually enjoyed DQ11, though it kinda dragged on there towards the end.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Yeah you're wrong on this one, I've seen people literally doing this in real life to get attention towards themselves acting dumb. I've not wrongly guessed anything, if you've played FF10 and cannot see the situation for what it is then you're definitely no judge to be talking about what is or isn't bad acting.
    You guys are really going hard on this tidus laugh thing. First of all, just because you've seen people act dumb to get attention doesn't mean it's the same situation and also doesn't mean it's not awkward as fuck and most likely not the normal thing to do either. Secondly, it was just quick on hand example of weird japanese stuff, there's plenty more to go around and you know it, everybody knows it, anime is the form of entertainment that has the most cringe, I'm not saying this out of hate, there's plenty of animes that I like as well, our opinions don't change the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    You guys are really going hard on this tidus laugh thing. First of all, just because you've seen people act dumb to get attention doesn't mean it's the same situation and also doesn't mean it's not awkward as fuck and most likely not the normal thing to do either. Secondly, it was just quick on hand example of weird japanese stuff, there's plenty more to go around and you know it, everybody knows it, anime is the form of entertainment that has the most cringe, I'm not saying this out of hate, there's plenty of animes that I like as well, our opinions don't change the facts.
    Well you're the one who brought it up without understanding the context of the situation being shown in the game, you're the one going hard on it. I pointed out that you weren't understanding the context of the situation and I gave you benefit of the doubt if anything by suggesting you'd not played the game. And is Anime really the entertainment with the most cringe? I think a lot of American (or British for that matter) reality TV tops that by a mile.

But here have another awkward laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    After getting tired of Western RPGs I decided to check out the Final Fantasy games. The newest one did not appeal to because I didn't like the aesthetic. I did fall in love with FF9 and FF6.

When can Square Enix give us a party of capable soldiers, thieves, and mercenaries with a story that rivals the Witcher or even Game of Thrones instead of moody boy bands?

I also want an interesting new universe! It doesn't have to be medieval like Dragon Age or The Witcher!

I would also like a story that doesn't involve fighting ancient gods.
    learn programming and develop one yourself lmao , they should make the games they feel passionate about otherwise it would be an uninspired cash grab result

Well you're the one who brought it up without understanding the context of the situation being shown in the game, you're the one going hard on it. I pointed out that you weren't understanding the context of the situation and I gave you benefit of the doubt if anything by suggesting you'd not played the game. And is Anime really the entertainment with the most cringe? I think a lot of American (or British for that matter) reality TV tops that by a mile.

But here have another awkward laugh.
    She sounds just like Ivy from Soul Calibur, indeed cringe.
    And yes, reality TV is also full of cringe, that's there's reality TV all over the world and they're all cringe, there's some seriously fucking up UK shows for example, the Japanese reality TV are also cringe, that's not a cultural thing, it's cringe because reality TV is cringe by default, it's terrible no matter where it comes from.
    I never said there's absolutely zero cringe in the west, lol, why are we making this a fucking fight? Can't people just admit the truth that japan has more cringe and socially awkward stuff in their entertainment than most of the world? Jesus christ the white knighting going around is out of control.

Can't people just admit the truth that japan has more cringe and socially awkward stuff in their entertainment than most of the world? Jesus christ the white knighting going around is out of control.
    What a leap to go from discussing a laugh being bad acting to talking about white knighting Japanese culture, you feeling alright?

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Most of the fights were just brain dead to me. Like you said, just hold a button until everything was dead. Very VERY few fights posed any challenge and big "challenge" fights like Adamantoise was just a monotonous drone of boredom doing the same thing a hundred times.

I utterly despised XV's combat. From what little I played of the HD release, I'd prefer Type-0 over XV.

BUT...I'm not going to say XV had a bad combat system because it functionally worked and thus it comes down more to an opinion, but I'll gladly say everything I thought was horrible about it and why I personally despised it.
    Yeah definitely, they squandered it big time. So lots of it came to how you played it yourself. First playthrough I just did that as well, hold the button down and heal when necessary. Second time I played it though after I looked up how the combat system worked it opened my eyes big time. The maneuverability and what you could do felt so great and it was definitely more fluid than almost any combat system I have ever played. Problem was that they didn't really teach you it that well nor did it require you to be that good at it.

Which is why I want them to expand on it because there is so much potential there. When I first saw FF7 remake I was hyped cause it looked like it was similar combat, but it seems like it isn't, not sure though I try to avoid as much info as possible about it for my own sake.

To be perfectly clear the implementation of it and how shallow it end up being is what I agree with you on, but the system itself... mwah. Increase the depth and work in some magic to it. Maybe make summoning tied to making certain moves in an order etc etc.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-01-17 at 04:47 PM.

When can Square Enix give us a good Final Fantasy game? When they return to being Squaresoft and Enix. They merged in 2003, and it has been turd after steaming turd since then.

Final Fantasy was good when it was just Squaresoft. It seems like the Enix half were angry that Final Fantasy was better received in the west compared to their Dragon Warrior series, that they have done everything they could to tank the quality. That's just my conspiracy and is more than likely wrong. It feels that way, though. I had the feeling their merger would tank the quality of Final Fantasy games, and I haven't enjoyed one since 10 (14 is ok, but it's an mmorpg so I don't count it).

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    When can Square Enix give us a good Final Fantasy game? When they return to being Squaresoft and Enix. They merged in 2003, and it has been turd after steaming turd since then.

Final Fantasy was good when it was just Squaresoft. It seems like the Enix half were angry that Final Fantasy was better received in the west compared to their Dragon Warrior series, that they have done everything they could to tank the quality. That's just my conspiracy and is more than likely wrong. It feels that way, though. I had the feeling their merger would tank the quality of Final Fantasy games, and I haven't enjoyed one since 10 (14 is ok, but it's an mmorpg so I don't count it).
    I mean, it's ok to like what you like, but 12 was one of the best received Final Fantasy games of all time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean, it's ok to like what you like, but 12 was one of the best received Final Fantasy games of all time.
    It's my favourite, even accounting for the flaws that emerged as a result of executive meddling. I'm glad to see FFXIV taking a lot of inspiration from FFXII.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Outside of the Nintendo games, and the world map portions, ....
    Those are the ones that I'm talking about that I want back. Not the graphics, just the open world concept you traverse on.

I stoped playing FF with FFX because the Open World (before it was called that) went away. =/

Square doesn't have any problem making interesting universes, what they have issues with is translating it into good games. There was nothing wrong with the universes created for XIII and XV and that's not why they're flawed games.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m too busy hoping we’re getting FF7 news in April to worry about 16.
    Why bother. What they have already announced is enough to tell its going to be a shitshow. Selling the story off in chapters and the battle system is just an FF15 clone. All they had to do is remaster... but they felt the need to tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Why bother. What they have already announced is enough to tell its going to be a shitshow. Selling the story off in chapters and the battle system is just an FF15 clone. All they had to do is remaster... but they felt the need to tinker.
    You do realize they scrapped that version of the game right? Well, I guess not...

They completely scrapped the project and axed the out source studio that was making it. They moved it in house but full production can't start until Nomura is done with KH3(so it probably started a few months ago, or will start in a few months).

Also lol @ just needs a remaster. Have you looked at FFVII lately? HD textures and 4k res isn't going to do it any favors lmao. The only PS1 era FF that could be okay with a typical remaster treatment would be IX since the models in it aren't blocky fuck bois and the backgrounds actually look great at high res(mod for this even on PC version).
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-01-18 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    This. Very rarely do FFs share a setting; there are ties between 7 and 10 but it's based off a throwaway line from a side character and so far back in the other game's distant past that it's only a novel curiosity, and there are ties between 14 and Tactics/12 in a series of Stormblood raids, but other than that generally every main Final Fantasy title is in a completely different universe.
    Actually, if I remember correctly, FFXIII (Lightning), FFXV (Noctis), and FF Type-0 (All of Class 0?) all take place in the same FF universe (Fabula Nova Chrystalis). So that is 2 mainline titles + a PS Vita game with a PS4 HD Remaster that all share a common universe, even if there are some pretty major changes in game between the timelines.