Page 1 of 3
LastLast

An extremely minor thing I noticed from the Disney Star Wars Movies

Where are any of the OT/Prequel aliens? Mon calamari (outside of Ackbar), twi'leks, togrutas, bothans, hutts, aqualish, rodians, etc. They all seem to be absent despite much of the Sequel trilogy taking place in or near the Outer Rim. Hell, Canto Bight should have been a Hutt haven with rodian (Greedo's species) mercenaries and twi'lek slaves/servants (since they're basically the #1 slave race in SW).

I'm not against new aliens having their time either, I mean the gungans and nemoideans certainly had their spotlight in the Prequels, but it's just kind of odd that there's no crossover between older aliens and the newer, Disney designs. It doesn't help that a lot of the new Disney aliens kind of have this weird thing going on where they all kind of look like offshoots of the same species with beady eyes and derp faces.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    No twi'leks or the "cousins" they had with the horns? Lame!

Many are dead, many are irrelevant, some are all but retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Many are dead, many are irrelevant, some are all but retconned.
    Then they could at least mention that. I mean the Empire was pretty awful for most aliens outside of humans with species like wookies and mon calamari being stripped of personhood and enslaved while others were subject to outright pogroms and genocide.

Wouldn't that be more interesting than what we've got? Having the First Order trying to prevent or even repeating the same mistakes. Maybe a First Order that is more welcoming to non-humans? Making it a lot more morally gray...

In the words of Douglas Adams, "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."

There's a lot of worlds out there, and we saw one cantina on one day on one planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Then they could at least mention that. I mean the Empire was pretty awful for most aliens outside of humans with species like wookies and mon calamari being stripped of personhood and enslaved while others were subject to outright pogroms and genocide.

Wouldn't that be more interesting than what we've got? Having the First Order trying to prevent or even repeating the same mistakes. Maybe a First Order that is more welcoming to non-humans? Making it a lot more morally gray...
    But that really isn't Star Wars thing. It's not morally grey, it's very black and white and always has been - Darth Vader was basically Hitler, and the new guys are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    But that really isn't Star Wars thing. It's not morally grey, it's very black and white and always has been - Darth Vader was basically Hitler, and the new guys are no different.
    But Darth Vader wasn't truly evil...he literally sacrifices himself to kill Palpatine and save his son.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    But Darth Vader wasn't truly evil...he literally sacrifices himself to kill Palpatine and save his son.
    I don’t quite think you get the not truly evil card after killing millions. Evan saving Luke is a selfish choice as the only thing to turn him away from murdering every one is his own son after he’s no doudt killed countless whole family’s.

I think it is more accurate to compare Palpatine to Hitler.

On topic. I definitely noticed and missed having a few recognizable aliens sprinkled in with the new ones. Yeah space is big, but humans are EVERYWHERE. There could have easily been more of the classic Star Wars species. New and fresh is good, but I think keeping the universe cohesive across the franchise is also important. They could have done away with the classic X-wings and Tie-fighters and used more classic aliens to wrap the universe together IMO. I am a Star Wars nerd though, and maybe the masses would not recognize the aliens like they would the spaceships. It does however degenerate it all down to a spaceship movie.
    Last edited by Pooti; 2019-01-21 at 05:20 PM.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I don’t quite think you get the not truly evil card after killing millions. Evan saving Luke is a selfish choice as the only thing to turn him away from murdering every one is his own son after he’s no doudt killed countless whole family’s.
    You're overcomplicating it. If you want to get into specifics, the Jedi Council are to blame for pushing Anakin over the edge in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pooti View Post
    I think it is more accurate to compare Palpatine to Hitler.
    Agreed. Darth Vader was more or less a pawn of Palpatine.

You're overcomplicating it. If you want to get into specifics, the Jedi Council are to blame for pushing Anakin over the edge in the first place.
    I wonder how many time judges hear this excuse in court. "It's so and so fault that I killed those people, I swear!"

Give me a break dude. One good deed at the end of your life doesn't erase decades of being a monster. I get it, Vader is an awesome character to watch or read about, but saying he's just misunderstood is laughable.

7+ Year Old Account
    I’m not overcomplicating any he killed litteraly millions. That can’t be hand waved away because he saved his own son.

That's a cool redemption story, but it does not erase murdering children from his slate. I'm willing to compromise and accept he did not die evil, but even that is debatable. Protecting one's own genetic material is not an obviously unselfish motive.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I’m not overcomplicating any he killed litteraly millions. That can’t be hand waved away because he saved his own son.
    The Empire killed millions, Vader was more of a weapon of Palapatine. For example, Vader had zero to do with Alderaan being destroyed. I am not trying to wash away his sins by any means, but I do not think he personally pulled the trigger or gave the order for millions of deaths. Maybe hundreds, at most thousands.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

Something I've noticed is that the prequel aliens (for the most part) have a lot of CGI going on, a lot like the prequels themselves, while the newer aliens feel a lot more like the originals where the aliens look more like "This is a guy in an alien costume" rather than "This is a computer-generated alien". While it would have been nice to see some of the more classic canon races, I think this design choice was intentional and ultimately helped the new films (especially TFA) feel more like the original trilogy.

From looking at this you might think this is NSFW, but then you read the text and realize those are eggs and that makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I wonder how many time judges hear this excuse in court. "It's so and so fault that I killed those people, I swear!"

Give me a break dude. One good deed at the end of your life doesn't erase decades of being a monster. I get it, Vader is an awesome character to watch or read about, but saying he's just misunderstood is laughable.
    I never said he was misunderstood, I just don't think he was evil. He was a slave to the dark side and hated himself for pretty much everything he did and everything that happened to him, almost as much as he hated Palpatine, who took pretty much every opportunity to torture him about his past actions or Padme.

I never said he was misunderstood, I just don't think he was evil. He was a slave to the dark side and hated himself for pretty much everything he did and everything that happened to him, almost as much as he hated Palpatine, who took pretty much every opportunity to torture him about his past actions or Padme.
    Not really sure why people still aren't getting this, but Vader was evil, Anakin was good. That's the entire symbolism behind the different identities; the Dark Side corrupts individuals into an alternate persona. It's the entire idea behind Sidious christening him into Vader in the first place; Anakin was buried the moment he pledged himself to the Sith.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle June Bug View Post
    Not really sure why people still aren't getting this, but Vader was evil, Anakin was good. That's the entire symbolism behind the different identities; the Dark Side corrupts individuals into an alternate persona. It's the entire idea behind Sidious christening him into Vader in the first place; Anakin was buried the moment he pledged himself to the Sith.
    Actually...yeah, that sounds about right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooti View Post
    The Empire killed millions, Vader was more of a weapon of Palapatine. For example, Vader had zero to do with Alderaan being destroyed. I am not trying to wash away his sins by any means, but I do not think he personally pulled the trigger or gave the order for millions of deaths. Maybe hundreds, at most thousands.
    Even taking alderann out his personal body count is Proabbly in the thousands his ordered body count in the tens of thousands.

Hell he destroys settlements full of people purely out of spite.

- - - Updated - - -

With in the new cannon he’s not even a slave to the dark side he’s a willing partne, he has a vision of him self striking down the emperor and hiding obiwan to surrender him self and obiwan forgiving him. He then rejects that vision saying the dark path is his only option. He then goes into force hell and is confronted with the dark side and all the horrible things it’s lead him to only to be shown that the light will destroy him in the end. The force gave him chances to turn away from the dark he’s the only one who kept him self in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle June Bug View Post

That’s not true though rather it be the old eu of the new canon anakin is very much a part of Vader. Mabye you could argue he put anakin away after his last try to get padama back in the new comics but he could very well be a core part past that and we just haven’t seen it yet.