Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    why do people keep missing the point? if a rise in use for the langue means it will take over then a rise in Spanish would lead to the same thing what they are using now isn't important.
    Nah I got your point, but it just won't overtake English. Like I don't see this translating over to the Asia-Pacific region, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Nah I got your point, but it just won't overtake English. Like I don't see this translating over to the Asia-Pacific region, for example.
    My guess is that the most likely thing would be to see some "Spanglish" or "Spanglish-isms" making their way into "Business English" (IE: English as used in international business affairs) rather than replacing it outright. I would expect this to be more likely as America starts to see Latinos rise in prominence in both Politics and private firms engaging in international business.

Quote Originally Posted by AbleismIsntCool View Post
    My guess is that the most likely thing would be to see some "Spanglish" or "Spanglish-isms" making their way into "Business English" (IE: English as used in international business affairs) rather than replacing it outright. I would expect this to be more likely as America starts to see Latinos rise in prominence in both Politics and private firms engaging in international business.
    I would be surprised, English is used in international business affairs all over the world. Europe, The Americas, Asia-Pacific, Middle East. We shall see

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Zarupia View Post
    Do people really say speak American?
    Sometimes it's referred to as Americanese or English (simplified). Usually when people want to be less derogatory they just say American though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Ireland is more English than the English themselves... :V
    The graph is based on books, it just means English authors cater to an American audience more than Irish ones do.

Quote Originally Posted by AbleismIsntCool View Post
    Spanglish could very well become its own language. Catalan was formed from peoples living on the Spain-France border.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hallsk View Post
    British and American words are very diffrent. Mom instead of Mum, Pants instead of Trousers, Fries instead of Chips etc etc. List goes on.

Brits are becoming irrelevent.
    You'd be surprised at how much British slang is making its way over to the US, thanks to the internet and shows like Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    I don't hear them using spanish as official languages at global sporting events instead of English. English is used in every scenario, if not as the primary language, but almost always as secondary (eg, world cup, olympics, world championships, all major tennis tournaments, F1, horse racing etc)
    There are varios reasons why english became a mostly universal lingua franca

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqDFPU9YeQM

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    They put several countries that are native English speakers with their own characteristics on that scale.
    American doesn't always just mean the US. Think of it as Eastern and Western English if you use the Atlantic as the dividing line.

I like how Mexico rates higher in American vocabulary than the US. Then you have Canada that uses American vocabulary but British spelling.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I write it "theatre" sometimes even though I'm an American.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    There are varios reasons why english became a mostly universal lingua franca

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqDFPU9YeQM
    Interesting video, what I suspected was the dominance of the Anglosphere over several centuries setting up what we have today. I don't see this changing ever, unless if China takes over the world

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Yes, American is a dialect of English. It's called American English. Dialects evolve over time. Ebonics is slowly becoming widely accepted as a dialect over just being bad English, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cts_of_English
    Many linguists will argue that African-American Vernacular English has been an 'official' thing for years. Referring to it as 'bad English' is rooted in pretentious attitudes...amongst others...

From a linguistic perspective to call AAVE 'bad English' would mean to denounce many other 'official' varieties of American English due to the complexity of AAVE compared to simpler 'accepted' dialects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I write it "theatre" sometimes even though I'm an American.
    It makes your shit look fancy.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Many linguists will argue that African-American Vernacular English has been an 'official' thing for years. Referring to it as 'bad English' is rooted in pretentious attitudes...amongst others...

From a linguistic perspective to call AAVE 'bad English' would mean to denounce many other 'official' varieties of American English due to the complexity of AAVE compared to simpler 'accepted' dialects.
    Yeah that's what the widely accepted meant. It's kinda has a negative connotation since people barely listen to experts anymore. That's why you have anti vaxxers and flat earthers.

People that cannot speak English should be taxed more.

‘murica
    #nevertrump

Yes, I do and i think most of you are wrong totally.

1. Germans speak German, but if you ask an Austrian some will say they speak Austrian and not German, same goes for Switzerland
    2. Croatian speaks Croatian, Serbes speak Serbian, Bosnian speak Bosnian, even if it is very similar and you cant really tell the difference in the global scale, LOL saying that Serbs speak Croatian or otherwise would be for them ( us ) a great insult. But in Yugoslavia people, cant tell te difference.
    3.+ there are dialects. Croatia ( kajkavski, štokavski, čakavski ) etc

So yes Americans speak English but at the same time they don't, they do Speak American English or more simply American.

English is a West Germanic language. So do you all speak German? Or Anglo Saxon? English has developed over the course of more than 1,400 years. The earliest forms of English, a set of West Germanic (Ingvaeonic) dialects brought to Great Britain by Anglo-Saxon settlers in the 5th century.

Honestly, it's likely less than a 100 words that are mostly different. It's not a different language.

to me knowledge the only difference is -ou vs -o spelling. and maybe the odd word that ends in -mme instead of just a -m like program.

we all learn -ou in school here, but since tv, the internet and games overwhelminly use -o i think everybody just kinda naturally grows into the american spellings in practical use.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing for damn sure those Scotts sure hell don't speak any known language.

School teaches us British English.
    Most TV-shows, movies, games, music and basically whatever we consume of culture in large quantities is in American English.

Guess which affects us the most?
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by hallsk View Post
    British and American words are very diffrent.
    So is Southern and non-Southern Americans (referring to the "South", not South America). You still call it English. American/British/Southern is the dialect. English is still the language.

Also, the two have been co-mingling as of late. I know plenty of Americans who use British words (especially those with a Brit close in their lives, coworker or otherwise), so much so that even I use some of their words, like "faff".

OT: The chart is a bit... weird. Is this just comparing British English to American English in countries that use English? It's like, why? Also how can this be accurate? It seems weird to have a country use half-and-half, especially if you're just referring to native speakers. There's also other dialects I would imagine that are much less known. There's no way it's just British/American.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2019-01-22 at 08:45 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.