Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Supreme Court allows transgender military ban to go into effect

The Supreme Court allowed President Donald Trump's transgender military ban to go into effect on Tuesday, dealing a blow to LGBT activists who call the ban cruel and irrational.

The Justices did not rule on the merits of the case, but will allow the ban to go forward while the lower courts work through it.

The four liberal justices on the Court objected to allowing the administration's policy banning most transgender people from serving in the military to go into effect.

The policy, first announced by the President in July 2017 via Twitter, and later officially released by then-Secretary of Defense James Mattis in 2018, blocks individuals who have been diagnosed with a condition known as gender dysphoria from serving with limited exceptions. It also specifies that individuals without the condition can serve, but only if they do so according to the sex they were assigned at birth.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/polit...ban/index.html

Do you agree with the Supreme Court's decision?

The next president can throw out Trump's executive orders on his first day of work, so I suspect the ban is only temporary.

The Supreme Court did the legal thing, which isn't always the right thing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Gender threads arent allowed here and I'm sure this will get locked. That said, I am ok with this. There are a million lesser things that will keep you from joining the military. Also, military people arent known for how inclusive they are. It may not be right to think this way, but this will cause more trouble than its worth and will affect troop cohesiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/polit...ban/index.html

Do you agree with the Supreme Court's decision?
    Yes. I completely disagree with this decision.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The next president can throw out Trump's executive orders on his first day of work, so I suspect the ban is only temporary.

The Supreme Court did the legal thing, which isn't always the right thing.
    The suicide rate of transgender combat vets is around 90%. The "right thing" you're championing here is essentially a death sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Less people in the US military is a good thing, although it a shitty reason.

I agree with it.

I'm not sure. Gender dysphoria is technically a mental health condition, and it is strongly correlated with depression. I can see why they might deem the likelihood of developing that a serious risk. Depression and anxiety both disqualify you, so I do understand why they might have issues with it. I don't know if it's necessarily the right decision, but I can understand their rationale.

Seems kinda pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    I'm not sure. Gender dysphoria is technically a mental health condition, and it is strongly correlated with depression. I can see why they might deem the likelihood of developing that a serious risk. Depression and anxiety both disqualify you, so I do understand why they might have issues with it. I don't know if it's necessarily the right decision, but I can understand their rationale.
    Except the military didn't come up with it, nor did any health experts. The military actually was opposed to it. So guess again what the rationale was/is. What you're doing is trying to rationalize how bigotry might be great idea, by rewriting new reasons over the actual ones.

If men aren't allowed to take steroids in the military, no one else should be allowed to take hormones.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don’t get it has there ever been a problem from a transgender person in the military I haven’t heard of any.

All that I know is that in the not too distant future they will be able to use painful gene therapy to actually change your sex and then this crap will all be a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    Yes. People on medication for reassignment surgery and suffering the affects of gender dysphoria don’t belong in a combat zone any more than someone with autism or MS does.

This isn’t about the increase in youth who have embraced the non-scientific based concept of unlimited genders or fluidity. Those people can act as they want off duty.

This is about people diagnosed with gender dysphoria, a real mental illness in DSM-5.
    Yes, I completely agree. I wouldn't trust my life to someone on any sort of medications for mental illness, not being a dick. Just comes down to who I would trust to me fully mentally aware of their surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I don’t get it has there ever been a problem from a transgender person in the military I haven’t heard of any.
    It triggers the libs, and their existence angers the evangelicals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putting people who already have suicidal tendencies into a high stress situation is not a good idea. Nor is lowering the standards for soldiers just to be inclusive.

If you cant make the cut you shouldn't get in simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The appointment of Justices Rapist and MurderTheWorkers already paying dividends I see.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

What are you talking about. Of course the military opposed opening its ranks to people with gender dysphoria. There’s not a compelling reason to open it up to them.

That’s why you guys lose these discussions. All emotion, no facts or logic. But if you can explain why anyone whose dependent on constant medication should be in a combat zone where said medication isn’t guaranteed, I’m all ears. I have a hunch neither you or anyone wise will attempt to explain how gender dysphoria doesn’t hamper military readiness.

Yelling “bigotry” isn’t an argument.
    There's no point addressing any of that, when literally none of this incoherent rambling coincides with actual reality of the events around the ban.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yelling “bigotry” isn’t an argument.
    It's 2019.. There is a political party that built it's whole campaign on screaming bigotry.

Stop defending military/warfare.

Military is basically a modern term for mercenaries. Military, NATO, War, Warfare all exist because someone is/was greedy. Humans will not evolve until natural selection takes care of all you idiots who think violence is resolution to anything other than give a beating to an idiot that would like to go in war to begin with...