View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Even if not aren't EU average WTO tariffs pretty negligible? 2% ish? more than offset by the fall in the pound? They are only really punitive to narrow sectors like German car manufacturers and French cheese makers? Guess a no deal would suck if you are them...oopss
    The talk about tariffs is kind of silly because the whole concept of the EU goes much much further then having no tariffs.

The tariff talk is inconsequential because the real issue has always been regulations and much harder to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The tariff talk is content for easy consumption. Dribbles uses tabloid press almost exclusively for his "sources" and for the tabloid press the complexities of NTBs can only be condensed in silly aphorisms about curvy bananas.
    People shouldn't be talking about tariffs because the moment you do you make it a legitimate point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    True, but the Windsor’s can claim blood descendancy from the various British royal dynasties (English and Scottish) through both the queens mothers side and the queens fathers side. It’s not true to say that they are purely from German nobility.

- - - Updated - - -

Aye, but it’s all I have left at his point. I just hope that mockery isn’t outlawed once martial law kicks in. Then I would have truly lost everything.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8748896.html
    But that's not really a great accomplishment. About 1/10th of todays european population can trace their ancestory to William the Bastard. While the mother of King George I. was descendent from the Stuarts, her son, grandson definitely felt more german than english (and up until Victoria they were also Prince-Electors/Kings of Hannover). George I. had to talk in schoolboy latine to his prime minister as he never learned English. Even George III. born and raised in England had horrible grammar (as german was his natural language).

I never claimed there was any accomplishment". As far as im concerned, the windsors are the biggest leechers in this country and the fact that wee Liz is our unelected head of state is an affront to democracy.
    At least she didn't vote for Brexit

10+ Year Old Account
    I never claimed there was any accomplishment". As far as im concerned, the windsors are the biggest leechers in this country and the fact that wee Liz is our unelected head of state is an affront to democracy.
    Would you rather have had May as a President with all the power that would have come with it instead? I'm not a Royalist far from but sometimes alternatives aren't better.

No-deal Brexit 'to leave shelves empty' warn retailers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47028748
    NHS officials are equally excited about the prospects of a no deal Brexit
    UCLH chiefs say they will invoke “major incident” procedures if the UK crashes out with no deal and medical supplies, staffing and patient safety are jeopardised.

7+ Year Old Account
    No-deal Brexit 'to leave shelves empty' warn retailers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47028748

But don’t worry, @dribbles tells us everything will be just fine.
    Must be scary this brexit thing if your heart and soul isn't in it. Meanwhile back in the real world I was in Waitrose this morning and the shelves were stacked full of fruit from S. America. You are seriously telling me that grapes can make it all the way from there with great "use by" dates and yet we have to worry about oranges from just down the road in Spain?

You remainiacs are some kind of crazy...

Tick tock 60 days to go/ 30 ish Parliament working days to go.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Must be scary this brexit thing if your heart and soul isn't in it. Meanwhile back in the real world I was in Waitrose this morning and the shelves were stacked full of fruit from S. America. You are seriously telling me that grapes can make it all the way from there with great "use by" dates and yet we have to worry about oranges from just down the road in Spain?

You remainiacs are some kind of crazy...

Tick tock 60 days to go/ 30 ish Parliament working days to go.
    The shelf live of fruit from S. America doesnt last 60 days... then again, we never caught you on facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd12345 View Post
    Liverpool fan, says a lot.

Aren’t most of the European royal families related through Queen Victoria? I’m fairly sure that they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Saxe-Coburg....isn't that the same house that provided the royal family of Belgium? (I know most royal families are related but this would be really blatant)
    True, but the Windsor’s can claim blood descendancy from the various British royal dynasties (English and Scottish) through both the queens mothers side and the queens fathers side. It’s not true to say that they are purely from German nobility.
    In fact all English (later British) monarchs have been descendents of William the Conqueror, but the House of Windsor gained the crown following the rules laid down in 1701 that drew a line under the rather messy proceedings we'd endured and made Sophia of Hanover (James I/VI's grandaughter) the new baseline for succession (though Sophia herself died before she could take the throne.)

What you might be thinking of with Queen Victoria is the fact that King George, Kaiser Wilhelm and Tzar Nicholas - three major antagonists of WW1 - were all grandsons of Queen Victoria.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what is the point of the amendments aimed at delaying Brexit when it's not up to the UK to do so unilaterally?
    I thought the EU would only agree to it if there was a GE or referendum?
    Is there an actual strategy behind it or is it just more political fucking around so they can just say they tried and wash their hands off it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what is the point of the amendments aimed at delaying Brexit when it's not up to the UK to do so unilaterally?
    Is there an actual strategy behind it or is it just more political fucking around so they can just say they tried and wash their hands off it?
    Setting up the EU as a scapegoat for their easily influenced base.

Because the current destination set by the British government is the bottom of the cliff and everybody with a semi level of intelligence knows this.

May's job was impossible to begin with so she decided to hold snap elections which she lost. So instead of calling quits she decided to go on the same course (off the cliff) and ended up with a plan nobody really likes.

So yea the MP's need to delay brexit as much as possible and force another general election. If Labour (being the biggest opposition) is smart they would run against Brexit since doing a referendum on such a complex matter is the borderline retard (yes David Cameron is probably mentally ill and he should get a diagnoses)

The British government, the Clownservatives, are simply clowning around. I think what they are trying to do is create a scenario were, when we crash out of the EU without a deal, they can point the finger at the “evil EU” for all the pain and suffering that comes with such a disaster.
    I take it you are talking about Yvette Cooper's amendment, you do know that she is a Labour MP, and the government have instructed their MPs to vote against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I take it you are talking about Yvette Cooper's amendment, you do know that she is a Labour MP, and the government have instructed their MPs to vote against it.
    He is talking about the Brady amendment to kill May's deal that the government has announced they will support - put your hard-on for Labour hating away for a little bit longer
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-01-28 at 10:12 PM.

It is designed to force the government's hand. If the Government cannot get an agreed deal through parliament then, assuming the amendment is passed, it has to request an extension of A50 thus avoiding leaving on no-deal (although in reality this is more likely postponing it rather than stopping it). It is then hoped that if the EU agree an acceptable deal will be found in the additional time or if an extension is not agreed the government will have no choice but to rescind A50 or call another ref.

The British government, the Clownservatives, are simply clowning around. I think what they are trying to do is create a scenario were, when we crash out of the EU without a deal, they can point the finger at the “evil EU” for all the pain and suffering that comes with such a disaster.
    I think for once the EU is doing a top job at staying transparent and explaining everything they do. If they had started doing this like 30 years ago, we probably wouldn't be in this situation. But all this does right now is make the UK negotiation tactic seem very, very foolish and naive. But as you pointed out earlier, Brexiteers will blame the EU no matter what and pretend Brexit is good no matter what.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I think for once the EU is doing a top job at staying transparent and explaining everything they do. If they had started doing this like 30 years ago, we probably wouldn't be in this situation. But all this does right now is make the UK negotiation tactic seem very, very foolish and naive. But as you pointed out earlier, Brexiteers will blame the EU no matter what and pretend Brexit is good no matter what.
    Yeah, it's like the EU is fielding pros, and the UK the local pub team. And it's the Cup final.

The Clownservatives created this whole mess, and they are flaying around like a nuclear powered headless chicken trying to point a crooked finger at the “tyrant EU”, all in a vain attempt to save face. But no doubt their brextremist base will buy it, with the rest of us left to suffer the consequence of Clownservative incompetence.
    The parallels in the attitude to facts and realism between the Tories/Brexiteers and Trump/Trumpers are (not particularly) shocking.

The UK has to ask for it before the EU will consider it - the amendments give MPs the power to force May to ask for it, among other things.

This is an excellent explanation of the Cooper + Grieve amendments, and how they work in combination.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-01-28 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    He is talking about the Brady amendment to kill May's deal that the government has announced they will support -
    Sir Graham wants to see the Irish backstop replaced by what he calls "alternative arrangements to avoid a hard border", but would otherwise support the prime minister's deal.

What does that even mean? How do these alternative arrangements differ from the backstop?

EU= Al, UK=Kelly:
    https://streamable.com/ap2lm