View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    350 million a week? thats alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You are about to leave the EU... the biggest economic bloc on the planet, competing with the US without even breaking a sweat. To venture out into the unknown, possibly ruining your economy in the process, because some dipshits told you a fairy tale about unicorns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow...

What did you say again about "knowing better not to?" What, you predicted a vote results, too? Have you not paid attention in the past 3 years? In the UK, right now, in this mood? I wouldn't place bets on anything. If they promised them gold shitting unicorns bringing bags of free candy medicine, they might just buy it and vote for that, too. I think that much is clear.
    It's impossible to have any sort of debate with you. You have self appointed yourself MMO's guardian and defender of the EU. For your fucking information sir I voted remain and strongly. Unfortunately being a democracy and referendums being what they are sometimes you don't get the result you want and have to make the best of it.

To somewhat address your point a lot of people who voted leave have returned to voting labour and the left. They might dislike immigration and all that nonsense (i'm aware of the irony in the number of EU and other foreign nationals in the NHS) would kick up a storm if the cons directly attacked the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    It's impossible to have any sort of debate with you. You have self appointed yourself MMO's guardian and defender of the EU. For your fucking information sir I voted remain and strongly. Unfortunately being a democracy and referendums being what they are sometimes you don't get the result you want and have to make the best of it.

To somewhat address your point a lot of people who voted leave have returned to voting labour and the left. They might dislike immigration and all that nonsense (i'm aware of the irony in the number of EU and other foreign nationals in the NHS) would kick up a storm if the cons directly attacked the NHS.
    Just to clear a couple of points, because I see them mentioned a lot everywhere:

a) The referendum was NOT legally binding, as per its official definition by the government when it was announced, it was "advisory"
    b) The referendum was moot since you had a specific choice vs a non-specific choice, as evidenced by the arguing and disagreement among the Brexiteers regarding what "Brexit" actually means- if you are indeed living in this country, then you know that pretty damn well.

In conclusion, you want a democracy that functions? Get a specific plan for Brexit and put that for people to vote on a specific option A vs specific option B referendum. Because on top of everything else, with this shambles of a situation that we have, if and when we do get Brexit then whatever clown will be in power (that includes Corbyn) will be saying "that's not the Brexit I wanted for the people, that's May's disaster" and then get on with doing whatever bollocks they fancy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another good Brexit day of voting. Looks like it is all still on for no deal on March 29th and we are doing the off. I especially liked this result, turning down the prospect of any extension to article 50. And the other one keeping no deal firmly on the table...

And Jacob Rees-Mogg on Question Time tonight from Brexit voting Aylesbury, where normal people live, in a bit, then followed by This Week, life is sweet in soon to be Brexit land.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

What would it matter if they kicked up a storm? The government can happily ignore them and ride on the mandate from the referendum, argue that the will of the people was for a Conservative lead Brexit and that means the NHS needs carving up to please our new US trading partners.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Wait: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1Q317H ?
    So you have a vote on whether her strategy for renegotiating the backstop is valid and then you shoot it down? Why would the EU renegotiate then when it is clear that whatever May takes home has no majority behind her. Full speed for no deal.
    Considering how the backstop was designed was a UK idea, I'm not surprised that they can't back the things they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Wait: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1Q317H ?
    So you have a vote on whether her strategy for renegotiating the backstop is valid and then you shoot it down? Why would the EU renegotiate then when it is clear that whatever May takes home has no majority behind her. Full speed for no deal.
    A few months ago I was railing against Acidbaron for nation-bashing. Now, I believe any ridicule the UK receives is more than justified.

In all honesty, I can say I deeply ashamed of my country, its media and its politicians.

This is a complete farce.

In all honesty I don't get why you'd even allow this vote. You are only undermining your own country.
    It's because they all want to point fingers at each other in the hope that it will distract from their own incompetence.

I think probably the worst thing about this is that once you analyse the Con and Lab positions they are not all that far apart (the backstop is very similar to Lab's idea of a CU, etc) yet neither will vote will vote with the other. JRM must be laughing his bollocks off.

- - - Updated - - -

Deluded or on to something?

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status...38608543780867
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-02-14 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Shadow Priest View Post
    A few months ago I was railing against Acidbaron for nation-bashing. Now, I believe any ridicule the UK receives is more than justified.

In all honesty, I can say I deeply ashamed of my country, its media and its politicians.

This is a complete farce.
    Thanks for admitting to join us... want a cookie? Get them while there's no customs controls...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using the plural you. And yes, YOU are about to leave the EU. Whether you like it or not. The UK collective has decided this. You personally may disagree on some intellectual level, but I'm not in the UK and honestly, I don't deal with the British on an individual basis. I talk about the UK as a whole. If you want to get all butthurt and offended over misinterpreting my post, that's really your problem, so please spare me the lecture.

And I think today kind of proves my point. Anything's possible in the political UK today. Who knows, tomorrow they might decide unilaterally that the EU has really decided to accept all their terms. Given that they are having acute attention span and hearing problems when the EU tells them something, it is not totally implausible at this stage.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Who knows, tomorrow they might decide unilaterally that the EU has really decided to accept all their terms. Given that they are having acute attention span and hearing problems when the EU tells them something, it is not totally implausible at this stage.
    Sure, and they would insist on the wording "all their terms" and play dumb whenever anyone ask the to specify what those are.

So, this video is about the ~300,000 British expats living in Spain. The main question is what will happen to their free healthcare. One particular comment that struck me was, so very British, that the Spanish Government would be interested in keeping those 300,000 British and therefore would want to come to an agreement with the British Government.

First off, the UK doesn't deal with Spain, it deals with the EU. The reciprocaty of healthcare is an EU rule, not a Spanish rule. Second, why the fuck would they care about 300k British if Britain throws out the Spanish expats? No, Spain has little interest in pensioneers that don't work and are a burden to the healthcare system, even if the British pay for most of it!

I had hoped the daily discovery of new aspects of Brexit being a lucdicrous endeavour would at some point make some people think. But apparently they're all doubling down on no deal in Westminster. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-02-15 at 09:36 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I had hoped the daily discovery of new aspects of Brexit being a lucdicrous endeavour would at some point make some people think.
    You do understand that events are being somewhat blown out of proportion by the liberal press who can make a shit ton of money sensationalizing shit. Oh wait, no you don't, because you are a kraut.

Quote Originally Posted by trontworp View Post
    You do understand that events are being somewhat blown out of proportion by the liberal press who can make a shit ton of money sensationalizing shit. Oh wait, no you don't, because you are a kraut.
    Yes, but you're just a racist prick and no-one cares what you think. So.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think that May has doubled down on her own deal. At the last moment she will present it yet again as an ultimatum. Her deal or No deal. And then Remainers will have to decide what they prefer.
    Going to be a shitshow regardless which option is picked, lets say they take the May deal country remains highly divided and people like pann and dribbles are allowed to continue living in their land of candy and unicorns. Where a hard brexit would have been so much better and the UK will continue to use the EU as a scapegoat and they'll further empower the anti-EU sentiment during the election, based on misinformation and lies. So both sides lose on this.

let's say a no deal happens, The UK crashes out, no longer able to mess around with the EU political structures, no more able to become the nation of obstructionists that demands special interests on everything. Nationally politicians will have to find a way to come together and deal with the outcome eventually, both sides lose out on the economy.

I think a no deal is the only way forward really, both are terrible and it would be better if the UK finally got a system that is democratic so MP's could be held responsible but i doubt that will happen in the current climate.

Because once the UK is out and people notice how much they lose being outside the EU we can start tackling things like, social dumping, absurd subsidies to nations that aren't checked or controlled properly after being granted, the euro and the 2 speed economy what the coin was never build for, an actual EU wide immigration policy.

Because this nonsense of "well we will just leave then!" will no longer be an option to even threaten with. Because regardless how much people dislike one another what they dislike even more is becoming poorer. Because to name one Poland, the reason why that one conservative party is so large is because of the economic growth they can use, so that people have the luxury to worry about imaginary issues like muslims invading, in a nation that maybe has 0.1% muslims over their entire country.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Going to be a shitshow regardless which option is picked, lets say they take the May deal country remains highly divided and people like pann and dribbles are allowed to continue living in their land of candy and unicorns. Where a hard brexit would have been so much better and the UK will continue to use the EU as a scapegoat and they'll further empower the anti-EU sentiment during the election, based on misinformation and lies. So both sides lose on this.

let's say a no deal happens, The UK crashes out, no longer able to mess around with the EU political structures, no more able to become the nation of obstructionists that demands special interests on everything. Nationally politicians will have to find a way to come together and deal with the outcome eventually, both sides lose out on the economy.

I think a no deal is the only way forward really, both are terrible and it would be better if the UK finally got a system that is democratic so MP's could be held responsible but i doubt that will happen in the current climate.

Because once the UK is out and people notice how much they lose being outside the EU we can start tackling things like, social dumping, absurd subsidies to nations that aren't checked or controlled properly after being granted, the euro and the 2 speed economy what the coin was never build for, an actual EU wide immigration policy.

Because this nonsense of "well we will just leave then!" will no longer be an option to even threaten with. Because regardless how much people dislike one another what they dislike even more is becoming poorer. Because to name one Poland, the reason why that one conservative party is so large is because of the economic growth they can use, so that people have the luxury to worry about imaginary issues like muslims invading, in a nation that maybe has 0.1% muslims over their entire country.
    I am sorry to reduce your efforts to one simple question, but what exactly are we going to lose? The pleasure of sending £350 million a week to the EU?

Name one thing that I personally am going to lose...I won't hold my breath...tap tap tap...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    I am sorry to reduce your efforts to one simple question, but what exactly are we going to lose? The pleasure of sending £350 million a week to the EU?

Name one thing that I personally am going to lose...I won't hold my breath...tap tap tap...
    Friction free trading with one of the largest trading blocs in the world?

I could give you a lot more, but there is just one. I can't wait to read the bullshit you come up with to handwave this away.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post

I could give you a lot more, but there is just one. I can't wait to read the bullshit you come up with to handwave this away.
    Don't bother, i'm not either. Fictional personalities make bad conversationalists.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post

What trade do you do personally with, as you allege, the largest trading bloc in the world that you won't be able to do post Brexit? That is not an example. To give you an example to try to help you out here, I order my Diesel Jeans direct from them in Italy, are you saying from April in a no deal I won't be able to? I won't be able to go to their website, stick my credit card details in and a few days later my Jeans are delivered to my door? Who does that hurt the most?...

Come on, engage your brain if you have one. Name one thing you are personally going to lose because of Brexit...

I'm waiting... tap tap tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Don't bother, i'm not either. Fictional personalities make bad conversationalists.
    That is because you can't name anything either. Full of hot air, waffles and pompousness as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by trontworp View Post
    My company just got a call today from our Japanese client telling us they're considering pulling out of the UK and maybe we'll have to send our stuff to Japan directly or via their US office.

No, I'm not "liberal press". I get these calls a lot these days. And I speak to a lot of British companies, all of which are stressed out about what to do. So keep your far right bullshit propaganda in the gutter where it belongs and stop accusing everyone else of being "fake news".