Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Genres Bad Reputations

Occasionally I'll hear someone mention how they won't listen to a specific genre of music due to the association that comes along with it. For example, there are people that won't listen to metal or rap music due to the lyrical content. I feel this is biased. Personally, I try not to support a band/artist if they have a bad history, as it perpetuates a negative stereotype attached to the genres. Just because you listen to metal music doesn't make you violent, and just because you listen to rap/hip hop doesn't make you a thug. All it takes is recognizing that just because you write lyrics like a horror story, it doesn't mean you have to act it out. People watch detective shows and horror shows all the time and no one sees much of a problem with that, and horror movies/shows are really popular in the younger generation, so why is music any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusp View Post
    Occasionally I'll hear someone mention how they won't listen to a specific genre of music due to the association that comes along with it. For example, there are people that won't listen to metal or rap music due to the lyrical content. I feel this is biased.
    It's not biased, it's full on stupid. You won't listen to metal for the lyrical content? What content would that be, history(Sabaton, Grave Digger)? Fantasy(any dozen power metal bands)? Socio-politics(any one of a dozen thrash bands)? Sci-fi(Ayreon, Iron Savior)? Christianity(Theocracy, Tourniquet)? Vikings(Amon Amarth, Rebellion)? Pirates(Running Wild, Alestorm)? Horror stories(King Diamond and tons of others)? Partying and getting laid(take your pick of glam/hair metal bands)?

I'm not a fan of rapping in general, but I assume rap lyrics are the same way, for every gangsta rapper singing about cop killing and getting high and pimping hoes I'm sure there are others rapping about a dozen other subjects

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    It's not biased, it's full on stupid. You won't listen to metal for the lyrical content? What content would that be, history(Sabaton, Grave Digger)? Fantasy(any dozen power metal bands)? Socio-politics(any one of a dozen thrash bands)? Sci-fi(Ayreon, Iron Savior)? Christianity(Theocracy, Tourniquet)? Vikings(Amon Amarth, Rebellion)? Pirates(Running Wild, Alestorm)? Horror stories(King Diamond and tons of others)? Partying and getting laid(take your pick of glam/hair metal bands)?

I'm not a fan of rapping in general, but I assume rap lyrics are the same way, for every gangsta rapper singing about cop killing and getting high and pimping hoes I'm sure there are others rapping about a dozen other subjects
    I view rap/hip hop as being more socio-political in general and just a different vocal styling (you don't need to sing), and there are more artists following Eminem's example of trying to make comical hip hop, just without his particular brand of aggression. Even when you look at some of the more popularized hip hop/rap artists lives you can tell that their lyrics about gang violence or violence in general aren't always based around true events. Considering that the more successful rappers tend to make decent money, it's hard to believe they'd still (if they ever did) resort to thuggish behavior to actually make ends meet.
    There are plenty of hip hop artists that don't rap about violence, though. A huge staple of popularized hip hop is braggadocio, which can mean conflict and being better than their peers, which you don't need violence to write about. Although some don't even rap about that.

I'm pretty sure there's not a genre in existence that hasn't had songs about drugs.
    Last edited by CritFromAfar; 2019-02-15 at 02:22 PM.

To be honest for about any kind of genre of any art. Swearing an entire genre off is simply a sign of immaturity. How do i know? I used to be young and be exactly this way, immature kid, overcompensating thinking i should only listen to metal becuz im a mayne. Mid 20s i started to kinda not give a shit anymore and started just listening to anything that stick in my head or makes me want to move. I went from playlist full of metal to playlist full of well, anything from classic music, metal all the way to fucking anime intros that are catchy and music in many foreign languages i dont even speak finnish, korean, japanese, who cares if it sounds good and i want to move.

This is what living actually is like when you grow up and lose your insecurities. You simply cant swear off entire genres, because youll bit your words eventually when you find some of the stuff you actually like in them. This is why i stopped swearing off, well anything really, because its always just a matter of time before something catch my ear, eye in something. TV, movies, anime, games, music, art, food, list of about everything else in life. Its like the other topic we had in general a few months ago, people claiming Modern art is all garbage, again very immature, i seen some sick ass modern art, you just need to actually look for the good ones? For every piece of garbage glued that looks low effort, someone did something crazy like a giant dinosaure using used car spark plugs and it looks fucking amazing.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-02-16 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusp View Post
    Occasionally I'll hear someone mention how they won't listen to a specific genre of music due to the association that comes along with it. For example, there are people that won't listen to metal or rap music due to the lyrical content. I feel this is biased. Personally, I try not to support a band/artist if they have a bad history, as it perpetuates a negative stereotype attached to the genres. Just because you listen to metal music doesn't make you violent, and just because you listen to rap/hip hop doesn't make you a thug. All it takes is recognizing that just because you write lyrics like a horror story, it doesn't mean you have to act it out. People watch detective shows and horror shows all the time and no one sees much of a problem with that, and horror movies/shows are really popular in the younger generation, so why is music any different?
    The flaw with your reasoning is that currently the most successful class of people in the western world are the Amish. They are a thriving and wildly growing community of people. While birth rates collapse everywhere else, they have 6-8 kids and their own support system for them. They own land and the wealth that comes from it. And this group also has loads of taboos and strict laws you might find heavily biased. You might describe them as terribly immature for the biases they hold. Yet, their culture is undeniably on the rise in a huge way.

What is better? Having an open mind? Or having a well-defined culture with clear and tough rules to guide its people? It appears its the latter.

Nature is clearly selecting the Amish culture as the winner and selecting OUT all the others.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The flaw with your reasoning is that currently the most successful class of people in the western world are the Amish. They are a thriving and wildly growing community of people. While birth rates collapse everywhere else, they have 6-8 kids and their own support system for them. They own land and the wealth that comes from it. And this group also has loads of taboos and strict laws you might find heavily biased. You might describe them as terribly immature for the biases they hold. Yet, their culture is undeniably on the rise in a huge way.

What is better? Having an open mind? Or having a well-defined culture with clear and tough rules to guide its people? It appears its the latter.

Nature is clearly selecting the Amish culture as the winner and selecting OUT all the others.
    When total environmental collapse happens the Amish will be among the first to die. So no, the Amish are not winners. Natural selection doesn't work with species that have subjugated nature.

Im not sure this really works, theres only 250k Amish in north america out of 363 millions(0.07%), including Canada and the US in the head count. Its more that they are stuck in time going back to pre baby boomers practices of brith rates. Art in general is a different subject, art diversify the less contraint it has. Theres a difference between not linking a piece of art, what ever it may be and swearing off entire genres. Im not exactly a fan of hip hop, but i found enough good hip hop to know swearing off the genre just means i need to find stuff that is to my taste in it.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-02-16 at 06:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would kind of agree with the OP.

Personally I find Rap/HipHop, Metal/Punk, Country, and Christian Music as garbage. However that is purely my opinion rather than a reflection of fact about any of the above.

I say love what you want to love and makes you happy
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Personally I find Rap/HipHop, Metal/Punk, Country, and Christian Music as garbage. However that is purely my opinion rather than a reflection of fact about any of the above.

I think theres a difference in judging part of what you listen to of these genre as bad and swearing off the entire genre. It just takes some digging really. Its kinda like saying life cant exist anywhere in the universe because you havent seen it yet. There so many of it, you cant possibly know. It only takes one good song in a genre to make me bite my tongue. I think country is the kind of music i hate 99.9% of the time, but i still found a handful of song in my life time in the genre that somehow made it to my playlist.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-02-16 at 07:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mintek719 View Post
    I think theres a difference in judging part of what you listen to of these genre as bad and swearing off the entire genre. It just takes some digging really. Its kinda like saying life cant exist anywhere in the universe because you havent seen it yet. There so many of it, you cant possibly know. It only takes one good song in a genre to make me bite my tongue. I think country is the kind of music i hate 99.9% of the time, but i still found a handful of song in my life time in the genre that somehow made it to my playlist.
    Yeah I hear you and there something to be said. However I hate all of the genres I’ve listed. I’ve explored all thoroughly before I came to that determination abundant and what I like.

My problem is when others who feel the same about whatever think they should have a say and dictate what others like. I personally don’t.

Keep in mind I used to like some of the above a little like rap. But I’m not sure if it’s age or experience but I cannot listen to any of it now.

My guess is that I’m just older and lame now. But that’s ok . Everyone can just stay off my lawn I’m happy

Yeah I hear you and there something to be said. However I hate all of the genres I’ve listed. I’ve explored all thoroughly before I came to that determination abundant and what I like.

My problem is when others who feel the same about whatever think they should have a say and dictate what others like. I personally don’t.

Keep in mind I used to like some of the above a little like rap. But I’m not sure if it’s age or experience but I cannot listen to any of it now.

My guess is that I’m just older and lame now. But that’s ok . Everyone can just stay off my lawn I’m happy
    Oh i get you, tastes changes all the time during your life. Which is also part of why you cant swear of genre or attempt to dedicate your taste to only a select few genre. Some of what you liked in the past stop appealing to you, something different ends up doing it later. Expecting people to love everything is dumb to begin with. Forcing people to love stuff you love is a pointless effort, people cant even force themselves to love things lol. They can deny or pretend to love something due to social pressure, lying to one self doesent change your taste.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-02-16 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh i get you, tastes changes all the time during your life. Which is also part of why you cant swear of genre or attempt to dedicate your taste to only a select few genre. Some of what you liked in the past stop appealing to you, something different ends up doing it later. Expecting people to love everything is dumb to begin with. Forcing people to love stuff you love is a pointless effort, people cant even force themselves to love things lol. They can deny or pretend to love something due to social pressure, lying to one self doesent change your taste.
    Exactly. I’m not an expert on music. I’m and expert at knowing what I like only. I still try to be fair because of what I said and you highlighted times change. I’ve gotten older so I have to refrain from that urge to say music was better then or it’s all terrible now.

I’m not qualified to determine that for anyone but me.

Exactly. I’m not an expert on music. I’m and expert at knowing what I like only. I still try to be fair because of what I said and you highlighted times change. I’ve gotten older so I have to refrain from that urge to say music was better then or it’s all terrible now.

I’m not qualified to determine that for anyone but me.
    Same even just in my 30s, sometimes the X was better when was in high school comes at the back of my head. But i also abstain because i realize its foolish to pretend im some kind of authority on what others should like in general. Mabye if more people would be like that, wed have less drama haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same even just in my 30s, sometimes the X was better when was in high school comes at the back of my head. But i also abstain because i realize its foolish to pretend im some kind of authority on what others should like in general. Mabye if more people would be like that, wed have less drama haha.
    I think people tie a lot of memories to music where they were what was happening. So sometimes taste in music even movies can be personal. So in that people very much identify with those that shared that experience. Which is why people attach pride and ego to it.

When I was young I thought it was last forever it was locked we had it. So people miss those nuances that didn’t allow for their experience to be everyone. So never mind a completely new generation that can have a total disconnect with all of the above.

Bottom line is when I get into that mindset that is natural to be defensive. I just stop and realize it’s not personal. People like what they want to like. I do believe there are over all technically objective critiques but I don’t think from an objective standpoint most things are as good as people think or as bad.

I think when it comes to art people should be allowed their bias and prejudices. I think it should be be put in perspective collectively. And there should be a fine line between confusing an subjective opinion as objective fact for everyone when it comes to comes to taste.

I’m old enough to say. I don’t hate something I can do that. That doesn’t mean anyone else has to or there something wrong with them.

Everyone is tempted to do the opposite. It’s just better not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You know a genre that I cannot ever imagine being salvaged? Harem anime.
    Cant salvage perfection.

Right... Try telling that to every metal fan that manages not to be violent, I'm sure they'll understand completely. Or every horror movie fan that manages not to go around chasing people with knives. I guess people should just stop liking Halloween, too. God forbid someone go into the funeral business as well, all those bodies might want to make someone lop off a head or something. Because there are rules of life that dictate that when you're around morbid things, of course you have to do morbid things. Or even, if you're around hip hop that you have to be a thug. You can't listen to hip hop unless you've earned your B&E and drive-by badges.

Excuse my sarcasm, but it's not open-minded to condemn every demographic as a whole for what a few do. Especially in regards to entertainment. I'd say it's better to not make assumptions about what someone does based off of their interests. There are plenty of people that manage not to do bad things when they open themselves up to aspects such as I mentioned.

If you've ever heard of suspension of disbelief you might be able to understand.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest for about any kind of genre of any art. Swearing an entire genre off is simply a sign of immaturity. How do i know? I used to be young and be exactly this way, immature kid, overcompensating thinking i should only listen to metal becuz im a mayne. Mid 20s i started to kinda not give a shit anymore and started just listening to anything that stick in my head or makes me want to move. I went from playlist full of metal to playlist full of well, anything from classic music, metal all the way to fucking anime intros that are catchy and music in many foreign languages i dont even speak finnish, korean, japanese, who cares if it sounds good and i want to move.

This is what living actually is like when you grow up and lose your insecurities. You simply cant swear off entire genres, because youll bit your words eventually when you find some of the stuff you actually like in them. This is why i stopped swearing off, well anything really, because its always just a matter of time before something catch my ear, eye in something. TV, movies, anime, games, music, art, food, list of about everything else in life. Its like the other topic we had in general a few months ago, people claiming Modern art is all garbage, again very immature, i seen some sick ass modern art, you just need to actually look for the good ones? For every piece of garbage glued that looks low effort, someone did something crazy like a giant dinosaure using used car spark plugs and it looks fucking amazing.
    Everyone has their preferences. Personally I've always liked the same, main genre, and I only started dabbling in other genres to better understand the music I already liked and to push my own boundaries. I grew up not liking metal, but from experience with searching for music I knew that sometimes all it took was finding the right artist. I'm still not even close to being an all-out fan of metal, but I can at least say there are some artists I appreciate talent-wise and that I don't hate the genre.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, there are several of the electronic sub-genres I don't like.

I'm not very fond of punk or country, either, but there were a few artists that I found tolerable.
    Last edited by CritFromAfar; 2019-02-16 at 01:03 PM. Reason: double quote

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    When total environmental collapse happens the Amish will be among the first to die. So no, the Amish are not winners. Natural selection doesn't work with species that have subjugated nature.
    When the end of the world starts they'll be the first to die!!!

Sounds like a blessing to me fam
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with a lot of genres of music is lyrically, the music is unrelateable to a lot of people, yet for some reason they find solace in it. The problem with pop music is that the songs are not reflective of the lives those "performers" have lived, if anything they are among the most privileged of all musicians because they really don't have to do a lot of work aside from put on a pretty face in order to earn their fortune, computers and those who control their brand do all the work. It's really quite ridiculous. Same goes for rap and hip hop, there's nothing more absurd than rehashing the same theme continually from song to song. What makes a good musician is their ability to write and create unique songs across multiple albums. Why do you think people stopped giving a fuck about Bieber? His popularity as a performer died out pretty fast, like so many of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Early on, rap and hip hop were very political and a solid commentary on urban life. I am sure this still exists but the little that I ever get to listen to in public will mostly be lewd and grossly misogynist. But the genre itself should not be damned for what is current because who knows, five years from now it may go back to being political.

You know a genre that I cannot ever imagine being salvaged? Harem anime.
    While the general notion in that regard is right, do you honestly think there is a real chance that we will see a sudden resurgence in intellectual approaches to rap and hip hop? When it has been in a constant downward sprial for years now? I don't really see how it could become mainstream again when it glorifies thug live to the point were seemingly all new entries only revolve around drugs, ass and deep expressions along the lines of "yo ho, my nigga, oh oh~". Where some used to hide clever ideas in it before today it feels more like the idea of being clever is the very antithesis of rap and hip hop. Though I won't deny that some hidden meaning among the countless made up words might elude me .

Personally I no longer have a horse in the race. I used to be more of a classic and rock/metal guy, but the first keeps smelling it's own farts too much (love cross-overs with other genre though, wish there was more of that) and the later is more often than not still too busy being edgy. I'm glad that I never was that hard into music to begin with. Sometimes I feel like I haven't intentionally listend to any music for months.

PS: As for harem anime.. yeah, I feel that one will only get worse as well. The more thirsty and desperate the people over there get, the more they will have to cripple their stories with this malignant genre growth on their stories as cheap wishfullfilment.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-02-16 at 02:31 PM.

I mean, socially conscience hip hop and rap still exists. To say that mainstream rap is indicative of rap as a whole is silly. Mainstream rap is to rap like pop music is to rock 'n roll.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been listening to Talib Kweli for years. It's not hip hop's fault that his shit doesn't sell, it's the audience that just wants to hear about big booties and drugs, etc.