Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Top 5 solo pvp classes and top 5 group pvp classes in vanilla

Greetings,

Many people that didnt play vanilla, ask what classes are Best in pvp.
    Lets try to help them by seperating solo pvp to group pvp.

My opinion from my experiece is:

Solo pvp classes

1. Rogue
    2. Warlock
    3. Shadow Priest
    4. Mage
    5. Warrior with great gear=Hunter

Group pvp
    1. Mage
    2. Paladin
    3. Shaman
    4. Warrior
    5. Shadow Priest

PS:

In solo pvp retri paladin are great versus melee classes but have not many chances against ranged.
    Hunter i add them to rank 5 because needs great skill in melee too due to the melee range limitation.
    Enhancement Shamans can be beasts but they are very rng depentend.

In group pvp i didnt mention healers because its understundable that they Rock.

I really dont know about druids at all. And i am sure that in huge bgs like AV Hunter can be great

Solo :
    1. Soul link warlock (even better if orc) no counter can even win most duel naked
    2. Spriest
    3. Mage
    4. Hunter
    5. Rogue

Idk how to place druid as they can beat a lot of class 1v1 but will have problem against warlock priest and shaman but if they don't want to fight they can escape anyone.
    Warrior is the worst solo pvp class, even if you are the best geared any class with some kiting can kill you easily unless you use free action potion all the time.

Group pvp :
    1. Holy Paladin
    2. Warrior
    3. Mage
    4. Ele Shaman
    Last edited by collax; 2019-02-13 at 09:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a Ret paladin I destroyed many equally geared classes 1vs1... :-/

Only SL/SL warlocks, Purge/Frost Shock spamming shamans and good Shadow Priests were a solid challenge. Very skilled MM hunters could also be fun to fight.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Hottage View Post
    As a Ret paladin I destroyed many equally geared classes 1vs1... :-/

Only SL/SL warlocks, Purge/Frost Shock spamming shamans and good Shadow Priests were a solid challenge. Very skilled MM hunters could also be fun to fight.
    Shocks had a cooldown in vanilla so I highly doubt you ever met a "frost shock spamming" shaman in vanilla. It's almost like most people who act like they know what they're talking about know the least amount.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    Shocks had a cooldown in vanilla so I highly doubt you ever met a "frost shock spamming" shaman in vanilla. It's almost like most people who act like they know what they're talking about know the least amount.
    Spamming doesn't necessarily mean using constantly, it just means using on cooldown.
    Frost Shock had a 5 sec cooldown and 6 second duration.

A half-skilled Shaman spamming Frost Shock on cooldown and using Purge and Earthbind Totem inbetween could kite a Retribution paladin indefinitely. You'd quickly go out of mana trying to Cleanse the slow effect.

Thanks for your input though.
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

15+ Year Old Account
    The 1v1 depends on if there are LoS objects around, if there are, then Druid/Sham is number one. Reason being, once you start losing the duel, you just LoS and heal yourself to full. You could also give rogues problems because of poison cleanse totem. I actually beat a really good rogue in the clutch with a well timed poison cleanse (blind used to be a poison). Also if you could LoS a warrior before he could intercept you, he would just stay kited. Deadzoning hunters will be much easier with roots/earthbind also. You could grounding totem Hunter traps if you were really good and passively remove their stings.

If no LoS, then prolly hunter or warlock. If they could charm you, they would just blow you up in the charm/fear/deathcoil window. Hunter could just blow you up in a wyvern sting window and they had options: if you trinketed the sting, they could still scatter shot and transition into a freeze trap. There was no escaping an aim shot from them. They also hard countered rogues, otherwise rogue would prolly take this spot.

Group pvp is warrior, sham, rogue, priest, mage. Sham gives the melee windfury, you get poly and POM pyro and then you get nutty priest utility, fearward, dispel, mind control, decurse, shields.

Shocks had a cooldown in vanilla so I highly doubt you ever met a "frost shock spamming" shaman in vanilla
    The CD was like 5 seconds after talents and I don't think he literally meant spamming. Purge you literally could spam though. Fun fact: Frost shock actually had no cooldown at one point. They nerfed it. It also had no DR. I specifically remember that because I mained a Sham back then.

A half-skilled Shaman spamming Frost Shock on cooldown and using Purge and Earthbind Totem inbetween could kite a Retribution paladin indefinitely.
    Not just kite, shut down utterly. Pally had to activate their seals constantly to do anything and they were magic buffs and you could just purge their seal immediately, rendering them auto attacking. You could do it forever too because initially offensive dispels weren't mana intensive.
    Last edited by msdos; 2019-02-14 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    Its quite obvious the one who knows not what hes talking about Is yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Pally had to activate their seals constantly to do anything and they were magic buffs and you could just purge their seal immediately, rendering them auto attacking. You could do it forever too because initially offensive dispels weren't mana intensive.
    I'd actually forgotten that Seals could also be Purged.

* PTSD triggering intensifies. *

How would you rank horde vs alliance warlocks? Am I going to have a good time as an alliance warlock?

Solo and group point of view..

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No you're going to absolutely hate it. Having to face undead rogues and even undead warriors as a warlock is just......not even funny.

Does anyone play private servers these days? Everyone and their grandma knows how to play Vanilla Rogue, it's not like ye olde days where only a few Rogue players were galaxy brainning CC chains.

Get ready for literally every Rogue player to put you through massive CC/focused nuke chains.

Horde warlock are better in world pvp because facing undead make using fear more difficult.
    Alliance warlock are better in premade because they don't have to deal with paladin and fear ward

10+ Year Old Account
    Only SL/SL warlocks
    Uhm, SL/SL was a thing only since Burning Crusade. In Vanilla you missed 1 talent point to actually have both Siphon Life and Soul Link.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Uhm, SL/SL was a thing only since Burning Crusade. In Vanilla you missed 1 talent point to actually have both Siphon Life and Soul Link.
    I admit it's been a really long time.

There are only 8 classes...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    There are only 8 classes...
    There were 9 classes, several of which played quite differently depending which of the three talent trees you used.

10+ Year Old Account
    For solo

1. Mage
    2. Warrior
    3. Shaman
    4. Rogue
    5. Warlock

Was my personal experience at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    For solo

1. Mage
    2. Warrior
    3. Shaman
    4. Rogue
    5. Warlock

Was my personal experience at least.
    Warrior solo at rank 2? You would just get kited by most classes

I'm gonna relive my Vanilla experience and rock a rogue again. Amazing for both group and solo pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

There were 9 classes, several of which played quite differently depending which of the three talent trees you used.
    You're right. I fat fingered it. But, it still ends up being, these are the better half of PvP classes, which is just not very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Does anyone play private servers these days? Everyone and their grandma knows how to play Vanilla Rogue, it's not like ye olde days where only a few Rogue players were galaxy brainning CC chains.
    And yet very few still knows to deadzone kite warriors to drop out of combat and re-stealth...