Poll: Would you stop and give a ride or keep driving?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    logic dictates no such thing.
    Since 95% or more of the world's population use Celcius, yes you can always assume people mean Celcius, when they don't specifies anything else..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Give ride and Cold.

You keep driving because -23c is nothing lol, at least in Canada.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I keep a knife on my person these days, so I'm not too worried. I've offered people rides before in serious weather before. There was this old man, late 60s probably, early 70s, who was walking alongside the road towards town when it was a mini-blizzard. I gave him a lift into town a few miles away, he thanked me, and that was the end of it. Of course, it didn't hurt that I saw him regularly in town, so I was familiar with him, even if I'd never met him.

Also, I would say cold. Extreme cold sucks but you can bundle up. Air conditioning prices for extreme heat can get nuts, and trying to sleep at night when you're hot and sweaty is miserable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    I would beg people who voted to "stop" to never actually do this in real life, you'll get yourself killed.

People have phones and can call the police. If you're VERY concerned, call the police and tell them you saw a guy on this road and you're concerned about his safety. NEVER pick a stranger up.
    You're a little paranoid, ain'tcha?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what's "cold" weather for you guys, but in the end, it would depend, if the person is in a bad spot (really bad weather) or is just obviously in distress or asking for a lift (unless the guy is obviously armed or look like is on something), i would give a hand, but to be fair, i'm most likely to be the guy walking than the one driving

It's really quaint that some folks are still using Fahrenheit.

I'd prob call the police to let them know what I saw. Otherwise hell no. Ppl dont just randomly end up outside in the cold miles from civilization. They were more than likely just involved in some sort of shady shit. I dont want to be involved in any of that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    It's really quaint that some folks are still using Fahrenheit.
    Fahrenheit is superior. 0 is really cold and u dont want to be outside in that unless you're properly bundled. 100 is pretty hot And you dont wanna be outside in that without light clothing and well hydrated. Ya scientifically Celsius is usually the agreed upon one, but having a nice 0-100 scale for everyday life is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Fahrenheit is superior. 0 is really cold and u dont want to be outside in that unless you're properly bundled. 100 is pretty hot And you dont wanna be outside in that without light clothing and well hydrated.
    Technically that would be true for Celsius as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Technically that would be true for Celsius as well.
    True but 100f actually happens in the summer. 100c and wed all be dead lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Fahrenheit is superior. 0 is really cold and u dont want to be outside in that unless you're properly bundled. 100 is pretty hot And you dont wanna be outside in that without light clothing and well hydrated. Ya scientifically Celsius is usually the agreed upon one, but having a nice 0-100 scale for everyday life is way better.
    Kelvin is the best. 0 is really really cold, and u can't go outside in that. 100 is really really cold and you can't be outside in that without a special suit. Ya scientifically Kelvin is usually the agreed upon one, but having a nice 0 - 1.417 x 10^32 scale for everyday life and everything else, it's way better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I keep a knife on my person these days, so I'm not too worried. I've offered people rides before in serious weather before. There was this old man, late 60s probably, early 70s, who was walking alongside the road towards town when it was a mini-blizzard. I gave him a lift into town a few miles away, he thanked me, and that was the end of it. Of course, it didn't hurt that I saw him regularly in town, so I was familiar with him, even if I'd never met him.

Also, I would say cold. Extreme cold sucks but you can bundle up. Air conditioning prices for extreme heat can get nuts, and trying to sleep at night when you're hot and sweaty is miserable.

- - - Updated - - -

You're a little paranoid, ain'tcha?
    He might live in the US or some other country with rampant murder statistics or high rate of crime.

I have done this for people whose cars slid into ditches. Most of the times if we have cell service you just have them stay in the car until the tow truck gets there. Random sketchy dude walking alone at night for no reason = probably not. Some random dude who clearly planted their car into a snow bank is more likely to just be some guy who needs help not some random stalker rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    It’s 10 below Zero and you’re driving down a long road you see someone you don’t know walking on the side and know it’s at least 20 miles before the next exit and anywhere to stop and warm up. Would you stop and give them a lift or keep on driving?

Follow up question:

Which weather would you rather deal with extreme heat or extreme cold?

I say extreme cold.
    What's funny is that for most people the answer to this question depends entirely on what kind of person is on the side of the road.

Is it a cute chicks with a T H I C C ass that could use your warm passenger seat or is it a big bald bearded tattoo'd guy who you think could pull a knife on you at any time because your perception was manipulated by movies?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    This is how people die, they avoid being paranoid.
    Yes, clearly I am dead. For picking up the old tramp that I always saw hanging out in the park and eating at Subway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would pick him or her up in a heartbeat. And i've done it numerous times in Colorado.

Then again I'm a 6'5" 230lbs Male.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

I have walked places and worked outside in -25c to -30c, it isn't that bad when you get used to it. Hell the last few days were -25c and I take my dog out in shorts and a spring jacket. I have temperature trained for years though so maybe that has helped me and my mutant genes. When it is -15c or higher I can go bare feet in the snow for a bit and it doesn't bother me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would stop and give them a ride under these conditions:
    - they clearly needed/wanted one.
    - they pass a few (who are you, where you going) questions.
    - they don't look/act like a maniac on the run from the popo.

Even then, I'd rather offer them a free call for a taxi, or a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    It’s 10 below Zero and you’re driving down a long road you see someone you don’t know walking on the side and know it’s at least 20 miles before the next exit and anywhere to stop and warm up. Would you stop and give them a lift or keep on driving?

Follow up question:

Which weather would you rather deal with extreme heat or extreme cold?

I say extreme cold.
    As a Minnesotan, I would probably say yes in the nighttime and no in the daytime. A sunny day in -10 isn't that bad.

I would also rather deal with extreme cold...can always add more layers. Can't take anymore off at a certain point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I would suddenly swerve towards them and chase them so that they run. That'll warm them up and get them to their destination faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep driving because i've seen too many horror films to know what happens if i stop.