Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    just curious here what if the u.s.a. where to pass a law that would basically do the opposite of what article 13 does and either allowing the use of copyrighted works ( i know absurd but i have an idea i want to take to it's full extent here.) or pass a law forbidding business with any state that has a law similar to article 13. (mostly because it might be something trump would do since he is quite childish.)
    They would still base their terms around Article 13 since it would be the most strict regulations in places where their service is available or they would have to block the EU from the rest of the world which means They cannot see stuff outside the EU and the World cannot view stuff within the EU for their services
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Anyone for free markets and against monopolies should be against such legislation. Government created monopolies indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    No, because it's impossible to regulate this without abuse. Look at YouTube and the amount of trouble people are having with fair use. You can't safely use a small amount of video or music without it being taken down with a copyright strike. In some cases people's own work is being copyright claimed by others to make money off their videos.

That depends and that's where the problem is. Meme's are usually modifying the image enough to create a new meaning which falls under fair use. Now if someone used your image as part of their logo or used entirely without be credited then that's a different story. But we all know how this will work with the AI robots roaming the internet and copyright claiming everything they deem theirs. So no, we shouldn't make laws to protect your work cause that's an impossible task.
    To be honest, fair use is one of the issues being touched upon here. Afaik, the EU currently lacks fair use stipulations, so it first needs a unified copyright framework before that can be done. I don't really agree with the how, though, but I do like the general principle of reining in some of the lawlessness of the net. It's very much a tragedy of the commons problem right now, and the classic solution for that is for some government body to intervene and set up rules. Free markets are imperfect and often need regulation in order to work better, even though many people do not understand such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    They would still base their terms around Article 13 since it would be the most strict regulations in places where their service is available or they would have to block the EU from the rest of the world which means They cannot see stuff outside the EU and the World cannot view stuff within the EU for their services

Not necessarily.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Disclaimer this requires a free account but if you are interested in who votes for what in the EU council or parliament it is a site well worth being part of, they also don't spam your email account.

https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-co...l-ordinar.html

Here you can see who voted in favour of this proposal, by nation, by party. You can also use this site when the actual vote comes through who voted for or against it.

Quote Originally Posted by AboikoS View Post
    Why do you bring race into this? Are you racist?
    White haired means old, you twit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully, we can have a separate internet where there is the EU, China, and everyone else.

This would be good. A separate mmochamp too.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Freedom of speech isn't worth fighting for

You are free until you become a nuisance to order, anyone showing self restraint from spreading garbage wouldn't find disturbance exerting his freedom, only pieces of shit would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highly amusing situation, it is at the point where you essentially have people protesting against their own rights on the behalf of big corporations.
    Join the good cause, help keep the internet free, so we can keep exploiting you

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    No, because it's impossible to regulate this without abuse. Look at YouTube and the amount of trouble people are having with fair use. You can't safely use a small amount of video or music without it being taken down with a copyright strike. In some cases people's own work is being copyright claimed by others to make money off their videos.
    Right, in most cases strikes aren't pursued, because people are chasing easy money and not actually concerned with IP. They're effectively taking weeks or years of labor from someone without pay for any justification they can use, even when the IP in question isn't even included as a topic or media in the video, just sharing some of the same language.

Reminds me of patent trolling honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Highly amusing situation, it is at the point where you essentially have people protesting against their own rights on the behalf of big corporations.
    Join the good cause, help keep the internet free, so we can keep exploiting you
    Thing its its not just big companys. They can adapt to this article. Small sites however are doomed.

It would just create a bigger monopoly overall and less internet freedom.

For example if people started posting images on mmo champion, they would have to take them down. OR any youtube video/other player.

Only sites that would survive this would be ones that ignore the rules (and just re-create themselfs when taken down).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    To be honest, fair use is one of the issues being touched upon here. Afaik, the EU currently lacks fair use stipulations, so it first needs a unified copyright framework before that can be done. I don't really agree with the how, though, but I do like the general principle of reining in some of the lawlessness of the net.
    Keeping the internet "lawless" is what makes it great. It's also likely a waste of time because of this reason. To give you an example is a time period where people used P2P software to pirate which resulted in copyright notices being sent to peoples homes and lawsuits. So the people made Bit Torrent where the data is no longer centralized and piracy became easy to do and harder to track. Companies evolved and now shotgun approach how they deal with copyright notices which results in further evolution of piracy to VPN's.

If the EU did make it hard for people to share their image's be it legit or not then the internet will just evolve yet again.
    It's very much a tragedy of the commons problem right now, and the classic solution for that is for some government body to intervene and set up rules. Free markets are imperfect and often need regulation in order to work better, even though many people do not understand such things.
    Trust me I'm not a big fan of free markets and want regulation where I can get it, but this isn't a free market but a free speech. Nobody is buying, nobody is selling, they just made a funny photo and want to share it. The problem I see is that companies see this as an opportunity to copyright claim an image and take money where they can. A new market to invest while putting in very little if any benefits for society.

If anything this smells of EU corruption by the corporations to get their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Highly amusing situation, it is at the point where you essentially have people protesting against their own rights on the behalf of big corporations. Join the good cause, help keep the internet free, so we can keep exploiting you
    I'm cool with other people paying for my entertainment with their personal data. Same for people without ad blockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    What the hell are you on about.

What monopoly?
    Patents and Copyrights create monopolies.
    Last edited by Logwyn; 2019-03-25 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Patients and Copyrights create monopolies.
    Really? I'll have to speak to my doctor about that...

On topic: The frenzy about A13 is silly and blocks any meaningful discussion of the topic. The article needs more refinement, but outright deleting it is stupid. A lot of the rhetoric is born out of the fear that pirating content will be impossible. I think that's a sign that the EU is on the right track.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The bill seems unenforceable really.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    A group of old white haired decrepit out of touch politicians deciding what modern day services should be, ha.
    IKR?

That's supposed to be the job of old white haired decrepit out of touch billionaires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Let it pass, then we can kick Europe out of the internet since enforcing the law would be a monumental task that’s not financially viable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AboikoS View Post
    Why do you bring race into this? Are you racist?
    Race? What?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    Let it pass, then we can kick Europe out of the internet since enforcing the law would be a monumental task that’s not financially viable.
    If you can afford to not take our money, sure go right ahead.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Really? I'll have to speak to my doctor about that...

On topic: The frenzy about A13 is silly and blocks any meaningful discussion of the topic. The article needs more refinement, but outright deleting it is stupid. A lot of the rhetoric is born out of the fear that pirating content will be impossible. I think that's a sign that the EU is on the right track.
    Fixed it for you since you can't do anything to disprove it but name call.

* You don't need a comma after refinement. If you really want to be a grammar nazi.*