Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What would happen if America made it easy for Russians to get a 4 year work visa?

Start with this Gollop poll:

Record 20% of Russians Say They Would Like to Leave Russia

https://news.gallup.com/poll/248249/...ve-russia.aspx

Back in the 1800's, many of the poor people in Europe had a hard go of it. Many decided to move to America. So many did, in fact, that all that labor leaving the country caused a panic among the elites and European governments decided to clean their acts up and do right by the people in order to get them to stay in Europe.

America currently has an excess of jobs.

What if America started issuing Russians 4 year work visas? What if 10 million Russians packed up and came to America to work?

How do you think that would affect Russia?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Didn't you make this thread a few days ago? You don't actually live in Nevada do you?

Or we can allow that demand we have in jobs to raise wages.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an oddly specific question.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I work with Russians and East Europeans at the airport. Truly hard workers... unlike a lot of the Irish locals here who are prone to laziness.

I would imagine the Americans would be thinking " 'dey took our jewbs!!! ".
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-04-06 at 04:11 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The US suddenly taking in an extra 10 million people is something that requires a lot of planning ahead of time to not be a disaster for everyone, no matter how good of workers they are. That's what you saw with the EU and the refugees, the problem wasn't that the EU had no capability to take in that many people, but because it was by surprise and all at once it was a crisis.

So what would happen? It would depend on a lot of factors like time frame and how it's handled. If the whole point of it is to 'attack' Russia by draining away it's workers though, I wouldn't hold a lot of hope for it to be done in a way that is actually beneficial.

Years of portraying Russia as evil or at least as "the adversary" and then accepting large ammounts of russians into america would make things even more difficult because americans would go " russian spy! " and be even more resentful towards them than they are about mexicans and so on , and then Russia would have to do something because it's people are being treated badly in the US bla bla . So....not good maybe.

The arguments would quickly flip.

Democrats would try to stop this, and the Republicans would label the Democrats as evil nationalists in response.
    Democrats would argue that Russians would be coming here to take away jobs from their voters and we need a wall of some kind to stop that.

We see arguments flip all the time. For example, Republicans argue that sanctuary cities (protect illegal immigrants) are illegal because we need to follow the law. However, once Republicans began creating Gun Sanctuary Cities of their own to protect their second amendment rights against state and federal laws, the Democrats suddenly began making the exact same argument ... only against gun sanctuary cities but not illegal immigrant sanctuary cities.

But a case can be made that Republicans are nationalists when it comes to democrat voters entering the nation and Democrats are nationalists when it comes to republican voters entering the nation. Its the usual hypocritical nature of politics, attempting to secure the moral high ground when there is none, etc.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-04-06 at 08:45 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    Start with this Gollop poll:

Record 20% of Russians Say They Would Like to Leave Russia

https://news.gallup.com/poll/248249/...ve-russia.aspx

Back in the 1800's, many of the poor people in Europe had a hard go of it. Many decided to move to America. So many did, in fact, that all that labor leaving the country caused a panic among the elites and European governments decided to clean their acts up and do right by the people in order to get them to stay in Europe.

America currently has an excess of jobs.

What if America started issuing Russians 4 year work visas? What if 10 million Russians packed up and came to America to work?

How do you think that would affect Russia?
    I think the worst victim of Russia and the US, would be the US.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing actually will happen. I read "breaking news" from GB where 80% agree to migrate to Siberia if they get territory for free (like that was did for Russians by Putin's decree). GB will lose 80% of their citizens? I dont think so. Also I often read statistic like this and absolutely in every country (US as well) around 20-30% of citizens agree to migrate from country for a better perspectives. Most of them are young ppl with shit education.

p.s. Also I don't think US a good place for migration. Much more comfortable and also better fee in western EU. And also much closer for them
    Last edited by Visor; 2019-04-06 at 09:57 AM.

Americans really think that anyone in Europe would choose Us over Eu ? You cant be seroius ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    Americans really think that anyone in Europe would choose Us over Eu ? You cant be seroius ?
    tons of people do every day.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The US suddenly taking in an extra 10 million people is something that requires a lot of planning ahead of time to not be a disaster for everyone, no matter how good of workers they are. That's what you saw with the EU and the refugees, the problem wasn't that the EU had no capability to take in that many people, but because it was by surprise and all at once it was a crisis.

So what would happen? It would depend on a lot of factors like time frame and how it's handled. If the whole point of it is to 'attack' Russia by draining away it's workers though, I wouldn't hold a lot of hope for it to be done in a way that is actually beneficial.
    The main difference is that most of the EU "refugees" didn't come to EU to work, they came to the promised land of welfare that turned out to be anything but. Any country in the world can take a big (relative to their native population) amount of people in, assuming these peoples' culture is compatible, they speak the language well enough and are willing to work - and in this regard, let's be honest, the work they'd be doing would mostly be jobs that no natives want to do. None of these factors were true in case of EU crisis. Demand drives supply, so more companies would be started or the ones existing would be able to increase their output and hire more people, more houses would be built etc. There would be issues, obviously, but they would meld in eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    tons of people do every day.
    Yeah dream on ... that's why more and more south Americans chose eu over us .

Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    Years of portraying Russia as evil or at least as "the adversary" and then accepting large ammounts of russians into america would make things even more difficult because americans would go " russian spy! " and be even more resentful towards them than they are about mexicans and so on , and then Russia would have to do something because it's people are being treated badly in the US bla bla . So....not good maybe.
    We have about 400,000 people born in Russia living in America right now, you don't hear them complaining do you? One of the founders of Google was born in Russia, IIRC.

EU isn't offering 4 year work visas to Russians.

I'm more interested in how it will affect the Russian government, will it make Putin and the oligarchs change?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    I'm more interested in how it will affect the Russian government, will it make Putin and the oligarchs change?
    one side question, why its allways russia and the oligarchs? do you consider bill gates, jeff benzos, george soros, jaimie dimon etc. as oligarchs?

and if not whats the difference?

<edit
    oligarchs is a little bad word or mostly used as criticism, keyword "framing+media" or "wording" (dont know if its the same in english)
    Last edited by Flura; 2019-04-06 at 04:17 PM.

Yeah dream on ... that's why more and more south Americans chose eu over us .
    yes, never mind all this talk about the US building a big wall along its southern border to keep people out...

no one wants to come here.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

More hot Russian chicks for me. I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    More hot Russian chicks for me. I'm OK with that.
    Hear hear! I was about to post the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    The main difference is that most of the EU "refugees" didn't come to EU to work, they came to the promised land of welfare that turned out to be anything but. Any country in the world can take a big (relative to their native population) amount of people in, assuming these peoples' culture is compatible, they speak the language well enough and are willing to work - and in this regard, let's be honest, the work they'd be doing would mostly be jobs that no natives want to do. None of these factors were true in case of EU crisis. Demand drives supply, so more companies would be started or the ones existing would be able to increase their output and hire more people, more houses would be built etc. There would be issues, obviously, but they would meld in eventually.
    Lets be real here, most jobs people do they'd rather not do. When you hear people talking about jobs the natives don't want to do and won't do it almost always means that those jobs do not pay enough in relation to the effort required to do them. As an example there are agricultural jobs in western Europe done by eastern Europeans and many times have the farmers said in the media that they need those people because the natives don't apply to their vacancies. Yet the truth behind the situation was that natives wouldn't even get those jobs even had they applied because the eastern Europeans were/are often getting paid far bellow minimum wage.