Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    I believe the Westerosi timeline is intentionally distorted. like, they say their noble houses are thousands of years old, when everything points at them being no older than 1000 years. iirc, the Andals only used bronze weapons when they arrived in Westeros. So considering they're in the middle ages now, something similar to our XII century, they've had some important technological advancement.

The Long Night really was the Nuclear Winter of Steroids of Westeros.
    I would struggle to point something that clearly happened with a fixed dates (IE, not a vague assumption) before the Doom of Valyria.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I was just pointing out that it's not only logical, no magic involved, to explain something with real world physics... And somehow that's 'so crazy' that you jumped to unicorns and fairy floss and whatever.
    Well I'd like to hear what material has a density 1/4 that of Earth's which would make a reasonable building material for a planet that isn't batshit crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well I'd like to hear what material has a density 1/4 that of Earth's which would make a reasonable building material for a planet that isn't batshit crazy.
    Why does less density make things crazy? You could simply have a less dense mantle and core. same materials, just not as dense, or under as much pressure.

Hell, if you wanted to go "fictional", one could simply say the mantle and core is made out of a 'kind of metal' thats like iron, but, yanno, less dense. But seriously, using our current universe, there is probably planet out there with that exact makeup that could be like the one in GoT. Throw that in a habitable zone with a proper sun, and boom. There you go. It's not only possible, but even likely.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The whole Dorne plotline (or w/e was left of it) was pure shitshow. The TV show messed that up so badly.

Why does less density make things crazy? You could simply have a less dense mantle and core. same materials, just not as dense, or under as much pressure.
    No, that's impossible, the pressure is caused by gravity. A given volume of a given material will always have the same gravity.

10+ Year Old Account
    A given volume of a given material will always have the same gravity.
    That made me giggle.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

That made me giggle.
    For real though. You can't make the planet less dense without changing the composition. Unless you're going to lean on "the laws of physics work differently in this universe" or some such cop out.

10+ Year Old Account
    For real though. You can't make the planet less dense without changing the composition. Unless you're going to lean on "the laws of physics work differently in this universe" or some such cop out.
    Why can't it be a different composition? Why can't a chunk of the world simply be made of, say, lead, than iron? Technically, a larger world would need to simply have more mass (Not volume). Make the world larger, but add some mass. It doesn't even have to be lead, just more iron, or whatever of more of the same materials. Boom, larger world, same gravity. Like, this.. Doesn't need magic. I'm almost positive that there are planets out there made of the same material as earth, but larger. With the same gravity.

Ramsay Bolton. I get that he was well known as being evil and sadistic etc, but that's kind of the problem. it was overdone to the point where it broke believability within the Westeros world. It's hard to iimagine his keeps could even retain any staff, let alone that someone just wouldn't have just murdered him or arranged an accident for him. Even Jofferey with all the protection of being King was murdered because people didn't want to deal with his assholery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    The whole Dorne plotline (or w/e was left of it) was pure shitshow. The TV show messed that up so badly.
    Agreed. I would have been happy they were killed off and the plot ended, if it wasn't some "badassery" from Euron. I genuinely find Euron embarrassing to watch. He's so bad it's like he's in a different show to everyone else. Since Joffery they're just trying WAY too hard to have these ott bad guys. Roose and Tywin will always be better "villains" because they were actual fleshed out characters with their own motivations, not these embarassing pantomime villains.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Ramsay Bolton. I get that he was well known as being evil and sadistic etc, but that's kind of the problem. it was overdone to the point where it broke believability within the Westeros world. It's hard to iimagine his keeps could even retain any staff, let alone that someone just wouldn't have just murdered him or arranged an accident for him. Even Jofferey with all the protection of being King was murdered because people didn't want to deal with his assholery.

Agreed. I would have been happy they were killed off and the plot ended, if it wasn't some "badassery" from Euron. I genuinely find Euron embarrassing to watch. He's so bad it's like he's in a different show to everyone else. Since Joffery they're just trying WAY too hard to have these ott bad guys. Roose and Tywin will always be better "villains" because they were actual fleshed out characters with their own motivations, not these embarassing pantomime villains.
    Euron just took the 'batshit murderer troll' spot from Ramsay Bolton, if there's anything to take from season 7: it's quite clear the producers are really bad at improvising when the actual book content runs out.

Why can't it be a different composition? Why can't a chunk of the world simply be made of, say, lead, than iron? Technically, a larger world would need to simply have more mass (Not volume). Make the world larger, but add some mass. It doesn't even have to be lead, just more iron, or whatever of more of the same materials. Boom, larger world, same gravity. Like, this.. Doesn't need magic. I'm almost positive that there are planets out there made of the same material as earth, but larger. With the same gravity.
    I mean I suppose it could have a lead core, but lead is the densest common metal.

A planet four times the size of Earth with the same gravity? Sure anything is possible, but seriously, give me one example of what it could be made of.

For the sake of argument, here's a list of metals with their densities: https://sites.google.com/site/chempe...of-pure-metals

Here's the ones with 1/4 the density of iron or less:

Lithium
    Potassium
    Sodium
    Rubidium
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Beryllium
    Cesium

Now imagine a planet made of any of those elements.

This is the problem, any Earth-like planet is going to have an Earth-like composition. Westeros isn't floating in the clouds of a gas giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Euron just took the 'batshit murderer troll' spot from Ramsay Bolton, if there's anything to take from season 7: it's quite clear the producers are really bad at improvising when the actual book content runs out.
    What strike me is how quickly Westeros devolve in a lawless society (I mean lawless relative to interaction by nobles).

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I suppose it could have a lead core, but lead is the densest common metal.

A planet four times the size of Earth with the same gravity? Sure anything is possible, but seriously, give me one example of what it could be made of.

For the sake of argument, here's a list of metals with their densities: https://sites.google.com/site/chempe...of-pure-metals

Here's the ones with 1/4 the density of iron or less:.
    You're taking this way too deep, man. A planet with the exact composition of earth, with just more of it, could be larger with the same gravity. I was just indicating that changing some of the components doesn't really change anything. I don't know the exact measurement of nickel, iron, magnesium, silicon, and aluminum.

So to answer the question "A planet four times the size of Earth with the same gravity? Sure anything is possible, but seriously, give me one example of what it could be made of." It would be made up of the above things.. Just more. Perhaps more, or less dense (I don't have the GMr formula in front of me right now), and viola. Bigger planet, same gravity. It's not magic. It's not fantasy. I only introduced the idea of 'other components' simply because I'm not an astrophysicist, and I don't know the exact math of mass, volume, density, chemical makeups needed to have that, but the concept is pretty simple. I honestly probably could do/get the math with some googling on the components that make up earth, and throw that into the GMr.

You're taking this way too deep, man. A planet with the exact composition of earth, with just more of it, could be larger with the same gravity.
    No, it can't. Gravity is proportional to mass. Fix the composition and increase the volume, and the mass must increase.

I only introduced the idea of 'other components' simply because I'm not an astrophysicist, and I don't know the exact math of mass, volume, density, chemical makeups needed to have that, but the concept is pretty simple.
    Well if it helps, I did my Bachelors in Astrophysics. Though I'm more than a little rusty now.

I am fairly certain that there is no such composition that results in a planet recogniseable as Earth-like.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it can't. Gravity is proportional to mass. Fix the composition and increase the volume, and the mass must increase.
    I'm not trying to be insulting, but you have more education on the matter than I do.. So you -know- volume is just physical space taken up. You -know- if volume increases, mass doesn't have to. Density might decrease (if mass remains the same), and gravity would lower (being further from center). But.. yeah. Increase size (volume), increase mass ( though not in the same proportion, Im not sure of the math), and you've got something of similar gravity.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but you have more education on the matter than I do.. So you -know- volume is just physical space taken up. You -know- if volume increases, mass doesn't have to. Density might decrease (if mass remains the same), and gravity would lower (being further from center). But.. yeah. Increase size (volume), increase mass ( though not in the same proportion, Im not sure of the math), and you've got something of similar gravity.
    You said without changing the composition. You have to change the composition to change the density.

10+ Year Old Account
    You said without changing the composition. You have to change the composition to change the density.
    I'm not entirely sure what 'composition' defines.

You can take earth, blow it up by 4x, increase its ratio of elements by X (I don't know the ratio to keep gravity constant) and there we go. Density might be slightly different, but you still have larger planet with same gravity.

I'm not entirely sure what 'composition' defines.

You can take earth, blow it up by 4x, increase its ratio of elements by X (I don't know the ratio to keep gravity constant) and there we go. Density might be slightly different, but you still have larger planet with same gravity.
    Composition refers to the distribution of matter in it, eg Earth is about a quarter iron and the rest is rock of varying mineral content.

But I showed you a list of the elements of 1/4 or less of iron's density:

Lithium
    Potassium
    Sodium
    Rubidium
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Beryllium
    Cesium

He's saying if you take Earth, make it 4 times the size, but composed of the same metals but perhaps in a different ratio, you could come up with the same gravity.

This is, though, the most boring conversation in the history of conversations.