Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you did not want the things you loved enough and the things you wanted too much. It is call prioritizing. Regrets is something which sticks to us when we are old. Try not to have too many.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Itheni View Post
    I should be financially independent by next week...

I am in the middle of a cash out refi to buy more rentals and the rest of my debt ( besides my investments )

Which should give me enough positive Cashflow to not have to work if I don’t want to
    Not-so-humble brag in a thread where the OP gained financial stability at the cost of familial comforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Not-so-humble brag in a thread where the OP gained financial stability at the cost of familial comforts.
    Not my fault for his choices

I don't have a lot of money nor am I happy. Fuck me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    I don't have a lot of money nor am I happy. Fuck me.
    In way that’s a blessing, means you can just turn your life upside down and change it entirely because you’ve got nothing to lose.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
    That seems like an especially low bar you have there... I strive for a good work-life balance, but never having to cancel a social event? Seems a bit unreasonable - you want pay and security from an employer you do owe them an honest effort in return.
    You're right I should have clarified myself. I mean I mean't canceling social evens "somewhat often". I understand once in a while, but when it happens every few weeks it's just too much for me. I love my free time too much. I am paid well and I mostly work a 9-5 type job, but I've been offered promotions to be 24/7 on call and I have declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    In way that’s a blessing, means you can just turn your life upside down and change it entirely because you’ve got nothing to lose.
    If it wasn't for the absolute truth that life can never get so bad that it can not get worse. Unless you are tied up in the middle of a fire there is always one step down...at least.

unhappy person continues to be unhappy despite gaining things

shock!

i get it, finding that "thing" in life is tough, tougher when its gone and you have to continue on without it. you can keep searching or accept it as is. I'm doing the later and working to make money / gain status. I finally realized nothing as a civvy would give me the satisfaction i had in the military so it is what it is. money can by the illusion of happiness and i'll have to settle for that.

good luck OP
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    You're right I should have clarified myself. I mean I mean't canceling social evens "somewhat often". I understand once in a while, but when it happens every few weeks it's just too much for me. I love my free time too much. I am paid well and I mostly work a 9-5 type job, but I've been offered promotions to be 24/7 on call and I have declined.
    I don't know if this helps at all, but after 5-6 years into my career post college I saw a career counselor to help me determine what I wanted out of my career and life and how to get there. Turned out to be a great resource and 6 months later I was in the IT job I am now, happy as a clam.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    figures you would post a cow picture.
    I'll save it for future conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Eh, I've got both so he can still envy me at least. But if he is as comfortable as he says, there's plenty of time to find someone and settle down. Guys can pump kids out until the day they die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    People always told me "money doesn't BUY happiness" but I want the fucken chance to prove them WRONG lol

- I do get the idea that people pay less attention to other parts of life because of a dedicated job etc.. but Everyone has to understand.. you only work SO MANY hours: Your body will tell you what you need or what you dont need

If you don't require a partner - you may not need one, you have access to hook up apps etc and I am pretty sure that's what most of the Gen Z zombies do anyway (and I have no issue with people using apps just to BANG btw, more power to them), I just think people who act like they lived their life working and never started a family are fucking bullshit assholes that act like they can blame a job or career choice instead of THEM being the issue.

Stop blaming success and start blaming YOURSELF, own up to your own issues and TURN YOUR SHIT AROUND

I live with 2 roommates, and we each have our own room in a condo. But we share a livingroom and kitchen, and there's only 2 bathrooms, so we share those too. That's already way too much for me, and I know people who live like the OP mentioned: 4 dudes in a 2 bedroom apartment, hotswapping beds and only 1 bathroom. I don't know how they handle it. They probably don't, actually.

Whoever reads this: There's no easy way out. Gotta put your nose to the grind, be super careful with your money, and live within your means. Pick a job you can get some advancement in and stick with it. Work extra hours if you can, until you can get financially secure, then move from there.

It's going to suck a lot of the time. But it pays off in the long run. I'm 6 months from being financially independant, and buying my own home. That's taken me 10 years of sucking it up and sticking to my plan. But when I'm there....I can't even imagine the peace of mind not having to deal with anyone else's bullshit will give me. So worth it!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Likewise, if someone knows how to buy happiness do hit me up, we can discuss it over a strawberry torte.
    Strawberry torte with a good cup of coffee and someone to share it with is happiness. So there you go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    The word "success" is tossed around left and right. People want money, fame, etc.

Coming from a family who used to be broke as hell, I said to myself that I would never wake up to being evicted. I would never skip meals because I couldn't afford it and I would give my kids the world.

Im 36 now and I got everything I worked hard for but noticed that the more "SUCCESS" I had, the more alone it was.

I dont have enough time and there isn't enough attention span here to be able to fully explain what it is.

Financially secure male here, seeking out the comfort of living in a 1 bedroom apartment with 6 people in it. There is something about sharing 1 windowed air conditioner, and fighting over what tv show to watch that I miss soooooooo much.

I hope you all find a happy medium like I didn't.

Have a good day, everyone.

-rant over-
    Sounds like a you issue, not a wealth issue. I am 50, married, 2 kids, wealthy and have great friends and family (and a dog). Not sure how my success in business anyway impacted my ability to enjoy a meaningful life.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Likewise, if someone knows how to buy happiness do hit me up, we can discuss it over a strawberry torte.
    Money allows you the freedom to be happy if you choose to. You still have to do work to accomplish that goal, if you want it.

If you have bullshit which is holding you back, buy time with a professional who can help you drop your bullshit and leave it behind.

If you don't have bullshit but just don't have people, use the time your money could buy you to do something social regularly, a dance class/club, a theater group, some kind of hobby, a board game night (a lot of stores host them, at least here, no idea how it goes where you are at), or anything which requires in-person interaction with humans.

If no humans you meet are up to your standard, get over yourself and try anyway.

If nothing makes you happy, and you have no bullshit, you're delusional, get help.

In any event, some people just have to work long hours just to get by, and on top of that don't have the money it takes to efficiently do the things one must in order to be happy, or the time investment is incompatible with the responsibilities of their life. Money doesn't exactly buy happiness, but it allows for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Money allows you the freedom to be happy if you choose to. You still have to do work to accomplish that goal, if you want it.

If you have bullshit which is holding you back, buy time with a professional who can help you drop your bullshit and leave it behind.

If you don't have bullshit but just don't have people, use the time your money could buy you to do something social regularly, a dance class/club, a theater group, some kind of hobby, a board game night (a lot of stores host them, at least here, no idea how it goes where you are at), or anything which requires in-person interaction with humans.

If no humans you meet are up to your standard, get over yourself and try anyway.

If nothing makes you happy, and you have no bullshit, you're delusional, get help.

In any event, some people just have to work long hours just to get by, and on top of that don't have the money it takes to efficiently do the things one must in order to be happy, or the time investment is incompatible with the responsibilities of their life. Money doesn't exactly buy happiness, but it allows for it.
    You'll find my answer in your PM inbox, because the more I typed the more I felt uncomfortable with the idea of making it a public post.
    As to the others, I'll still be waiting for someone to enjoy that strawberry torte with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh as long as I am secured, and with my wife, I am pretty happy. Being happy isn't difficult when you appreciate what you have in my opinion.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    If you lose everything you love, then you didn't get everything you ever wanted did you?