Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What are your sources for unbiased, factual information?

EDIT: I appreciate the news sources you have all provided but it's not news sources I am interested in. I want to know what sites you guys use for your hobbies/passions/self improvement, ect, that doesn't just report trends, and studies, and all that other garbage like it's now the best way to do something or the best way to live your life. And all that other garbage that's like click bait in article form like "This one little hack we're teaching you will skyrocket your performance." Fuck off with all that, I'm not here for quick fixes to simple problems, I want authentic information that's been tested and proven. Not this weeks trend. And as of right now, I am having trouble finding that.

I know nothing can be truly 100% biased free, but I am tired of all these misleading videos and articles being like "Oh do this because this study just done has concluded that X is equal to Y." Was the article peer reviewed? Have the results been duplicated else where? WE DON'T FUCKIN KNOW! But we're going to report the information like we do. And we're not going to include the source 'cause our word is good enough.

Basically, I am tired of people giving out life advice/general advice based on a bunch of "He said, she said" anecdotal evidence and unproven research.

And I haven't even touched on the blatant distortion of information but that's an episode of outrage for a different day.
    Last edited by Why Am I Here; 2019-04-24 at 01:46 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    foxnews.com

Why, MMO-Champ of course! I just take away the opposite stance the OPs are trying to push and things turn out pretty well for me.

Fox is much less biased than MSNBC or CNN. Anyone who says otherwise is insane. Please show me a Fox news anchor saying "This is it. This is our lives now. It's not some nightmare, it's real" When Obama won. Please show me a Fox news host saying "This is a BLACKlash. People only voted for Obama because he was black" (vs this is a Whitelash) Doesn't exist, so you can't show me. BTW, suggesting Obama may not have been born here in a discussion is not the same as ranting like a maniac because you are so upset you can't remain professional.

Fox is biased toward the right, but if there was a scale, it's like 40-50% biased toward the right, where is CNN/MSBNC are 95% biased toward the left. It isn't even close. So yeah, Fox news it is. I do watch some CNN/MSNBC just to laugh at how insane they are.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2019-04-24 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Reuters, New York Times (Ignore the opinion pieces), and the AP. Reuters is the best of the three though.

Also a good tool: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/
    Never heard of The AP. But more specifically, I am looking for good websites that cover a variety of topics, like let's say I want a workout website, or one about training your brain, or what ever the fuck it is people are interested in. Instead of "Well according to science, if you slaughter a chicken at mid night and cover yourself in it's blood, then cite 3 bible passages, then perform a pagan ritual of your choosing, you should see a 500% focus increase" I want actual professional people who don't just report on whatever the fuck is trendy and say do it. I'm probably only making sense to myself right now but I hope you get my point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Fox is much less biased than MSNBC or CNN. Anyone who says otherwise is insane. Please show me a Fox news anchor saying "This is it. This is our lives now. It's not some nightmare, it's real" When Obama won. Please show me a Fox news host saying "This is a BLACKlash. People only voted for Obama because he was black" (vs this is a Whitelash) Doesn't exist, so you can't show me. BTW, suggestion Obama may not have been born here in a discussion is not the same as ranting like a maniac because you are so upset you can't remain professional.

Fox is biased toward the right, but if there was a scale, it's like 40-50% biased toward the right, where is CNN/MSBNC are 95% biased toward the left. It isn't even close. So yeah, Fox news it is. I do watch some CNN/MSNBC just to laugh at how insane they are.
    See, my trick is just so label all 3 of them as scum that play identity politics and love to rile up their demographics to demonize the other side so that they can get 1 stroke on their cocks per enraged reader/over emotional post to facebook about said topic.

Being "less biased" is not a virtue I applaud. Don't be a lying shitbag in the first place who is trying to push an agenda that's not "I am going to share this info with these people in a completely factual way, with no details distorted."

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    The AP is short for the Associated Press

https://www.ap.org/en-us/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press

I would check mediabiasfactcheck for websites with high factual reporting and then just go from there. If you want unbiased opinion pieces, you have to understand by their very nature they are going to be biased. That doesn't necessarily mean they are untrue though.
    Yeah you're right about that. Everyone has a bias of some sort. My issue is with the abundant misinformation going on, and the whole pop science shit going on, like "Oh this study says don't jerk off past 5pm or you may die early." "But we forgot to mention the part where the study was done on 5 soldiers in heavy combat at the time because for some reason they just couldn't fucking wait. So don't jerk off late at night, it's now bad for your health."

Stephan Colbert is my only source of news. But it could be worse, could be fox news.(I'm kidding... about the first part)
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2019-04-24 at 01:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Bloomberg
    2. CNN/CBC/MSNBC
    3. NPR
    4. BBC/Twitter

I am going to say that is 90%

I get the Star Tribune newspaper, but that's it for news, and all of it is biased. That doesn't bother me as much as those who pretend not to have one.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Why Am I Here View Post
    I know nothing can be truly 100% biased free, but I am tired of all these misleading videos and articles being like "Oh do this because this study just done has concluded that X is equal to Y." Was the article peer reviewed? Have the results been duplicated else where? WE DON'T FUCKIN KNOW! But we're going to report the information like we do. And we're not going to include the source 'cause our word is good enough.

Basically, I am tired of people giving out life advice/general advice based on a bunch of "He said, she said" anecdotal evidence and unproven research.

And I haven't even touched on the blatant distortion of information but that's an episode of outrage for a different day.
    At this point any news outlet will be overly biased so that you can't expect the "truth" from it. What you need to do is hit multiple news sources consistently so that you can parse out the fat and drivel and actually get the truth.

Me personally I go to NPR, BBC, Reuters, AP, NY Times, Washington Post, Fox News and Vox for my news sources. Sometimes I'll dip into ABC or NBC as well. CNN and MSNBC are a wash though if you follow NY Times, BBC and NPR though; I'd ignore those two.

Then as a second step if any story you are reading references any government report pull up that report directly on the .gov website before you read whatever sources editorializing. Unemployment report is generally the big one that everyone knows but CBO reports or court decisions are good to follow as well.

Any more treat any "news" outlet like an editorial board then research the issue yourself from as many sources as possible. You're getting propaganda in heaping doses if you only get your information for one source, or one side of the issue.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what facts you are looking for. Numerical information? Visual or audio information? Such as what something looks like or was said at an event.

Original documents and sites that only have *primary data* is a good source. Anything like 'Bureau of [X] statistics'. And for the post-analysis stats they should tell you what formula they used, that way you could see if they use any subjective weightings.

For non-statistical facts, YouTube is oddly enough one of the best sites. Since you can directly see the footage of an event, as opposed to journalism which requires the interpretation of primary data.

For general advice you can only use your own reasoning to geuss about whether the advice is true. Like "If you've been arrested it's not good to talk to the cops without a lawyer". It's not necessarily a fact, but across many anecdotes it has been proven to be a strong generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Fox is much less biased than MSNBC or CNN. Anyone who says otherwise is insane. Please show me a Fox news anchor saying "This is it. This is our lives now. It's not some nightmare, it's real" When Obama won. Please show me a Fox news host saying "This is a BLACKlash. People only voted for Obama because he was black" (vs this is a Whitelash) Doesn't exist, so you can't show me. BTW, suggesting Obama may not have been born here in a discussion is not the same as ranting like a maniac because you are so upset you can't remain professional.

They are as biased, it's just that a conservative is nowhere near as insane as a progressive, so when you hear progressives talk it sounds ridiculous.

I don't have one to be honest I mostly just follow funny stories I find on /pol/

it takes effort, but I can usually cut bias out of reports, and if not, I can get the same report from the other side then piece it together.

Drudge is my go to, but anything w/o a paywall I will read.

Important to note, Drudge links to news sites, not an actual news source

Depends entirely on what the news is about, but generally Reuters can be trusted 95% of the time.

NPR, national public radio
    AP, associated press
    Reuters

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    CNN and MSNBC least biased? What in the name of fuckery is this?
    Yeah, you know they actually do real journalism and reporting as badly as they do it as opposed to completely made up bullshit on YouTube or whatever podcast.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: I appreciate the news sources you have all provided but it's not news sources I am interested in. I want to know what sites you guys use for your hobbies/passions/self improvement, ect,that doesn't just report trends, and studies, and all that other garbage like it's now the best way to do something or the best way to live your life.
    You don't want news sources, I get that. However you're asking for factual information on subjects like hobbies, passions, and self-improvement, which is really hard. A lot of that comes down to personal tastes and what makes you happy. You would have to Google "guide to X-hobby" since there are no sources that have all the information.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-04-24 at 02:24 AM.

I usually browse reddits of all leaning except for right leanings because they're all echo chambers and love to ban anyone who practices wrong think(opposing opinions). The donald, conservative, republican, and republicans.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

BBC, ABC(AU), NPR, Al-Jazera, MSNBC and of course Google.

Basically - a wide spread of news and searching for the facts = a solid outcome.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.