Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    "Black" in America at the moment. It changes from time to time.

Most serious black people prefer "black".

We have "white" and "brown" too, so "black" fits in nicely.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i live in mostly a white country and wonder how in english do u call black people not to offend them? do u refer to them as blacks, negroes or what? i guess u cant call someone from france or UK an afroamerican
    Usually just "black" or African, if I know for a fact that they are indeed from Africa. In Germany, this isn't disrespectful or antiquated like it would be in the US. There are words not usually spoken in polite conversation, like "Neger" which isn't an insult per se especially when old people say it, but can be depending on context and usually is. There is "Mohr", but that word is super antiquated and as far as I know was only used for people from Sub-Saharan-Africa.

Skin color is just an easily recognizable feature even at a distance. If someone at work asks me for a colleague by name who happens to be black, I'll tell him "in the next wing, the black gentleman wearing a blue shirt is the one you're looking for." With less than 2,5% of the German population being black there's little to no chance of any confusion as to who was meant.

I wouldn't mind being called "white" or "European" in the descriptive when it's the easiest way to point me out to someone. In face to face conversation it's not usually brought up except when it's relevant to the discussion being had. I don't go around telling people "Nice weather today, oh by the way you're black."
    Last edited by Krawu; 2019-04-28 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    In what situation do you actually need to comment on their skin color? Do you generally sort your friends and family by hair color or hight?
    Do you see that guy over there?
    What guy
    The black guy / the guy/thing next to the black man

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Funny fact, here in Brazil, "negro" is the politically correct term. If you call a black person "preto", which is how we say black in portuguese, you are commiting a hate crime.

It's current year, I don't call, I text.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i live in mostly a white country and wonder how in english do u call black people not to offend them? do u refer to them as blacks, negroes or what? i guess u cant call someone from france or UK an afroamerican
    Umm you call us by our names like normal people do.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Do you see that guy over there?
    What guy
    The black guy / the guy/thing next to the black man
    Or maybe like: He is the first black person to become president !

Its funny how people here can't use imagination. Its like they never used the color of the skin/ ethnicity to qualify someone in their lives.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2019-04-28 at 02:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Funny fact, here in Brazil, "negro" is the politically correct term. If you call a black person "preto", which is how we say black in portuguese, you are commiting a hate crime.
    So ....
    Saying "black" in Spanish is fine.
    Saying "black" in the national language is not? Basically equates to the N-word in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I avoid referring to them by race at all. Don’t want to get arrested.

Apparently calling them Black, Coloured or African is considered offensive these days. At least here.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2019-04-28 at 02:29 PM.

Darkies is not allowed.

If you are to single that person out in a crowd, or to use as a discriptor, then "black" is fine.
    "Who do you mean? I can't find the person you are talking about.." "The black guy!".
    Just like if you were the only white guy in a crowd, and 2 black dudes wanted to point you out. "The white guy!".
    But using it in any negative way is just a shit thing do to, no matter what.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    By their Name usually. Very rarely ever have to call someone Black. Unless I'm describing them to someone else. I've never felt especially weird calling them Black though. Since being called White is pretty much the same thing.

Its funny how people here can't use imagination. Its like they never used the color of the skin/ ethnicity to qualify someone in their lives.
    It's hilarious and worrying at the same time that people tend to automatically assume the worst about anything.
    I mean, a person asking on how to do anything just shows they DON'T want to offend or do anything wrong, yet people react as if it's wrong. It's weird af.

only saw 3 blacks irl during my whole life. I called one by his name because I knew it and other 2 just sir. Why would you call them by their skin colour wtf?

I call them by their name if I know them. I have to describe them then I call them black just like I'm white. We are all the same race anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I avoid referring to them by race at all. Don’t want to get arrested.

Apparently calling them Black, Coloured or African is considered offensive these days. At least here.
    Where you live at? We preferred to be called black......wait other black people get offended for being called black? But we are black......my god. Don't worry Aeula I think you ran into some sjws or something. I almost had a aneurysm trying to sort this out.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by J012D4N View Post
    So ....
    Saying "black" in Spanish is fine.
    Saying "black" in the national language is not? Basically equates to the N-word in the US?
    I have no idea about spanish spanish countries.
    I am saying that saying negro here is fine, while in USA is pejorative; on the other hand saying preto (black in portuguese) is considered offensive here, while in USA is fine.

So yeah, here "black" is the n-word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Negro/Black, Asian, White. Shortest way to put label on somebody if you want concentrate attention on this moment.
    Negro probably sounds a bit offensive in US. But other countries haven't so hard racial problems so I dont think you have to create new strange term like "Afroamerican". Cos not all negroes come from Africa. But if you call somebody by his skin-color-name its sound aint good in any country I suppose.

5+ Year Old Account
    How do black people call white people? Do they use "white" word? I've never seen it.

They are just trying to score points on the imaginary PC leaderboard. Or trying to win the most "woke" award.

I actually came to this thread because I have faced the same dilemma the OP faced. I wasn't sure how people preferred to be called, since it has changed so much....

I try not to refer to a person's skin tone, too many people get easily upset over it but sometimes it is the easiest way to describe a person if you are giving directions to someone.