Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Damage done to explosive adds

So I ran a 10 atal'dazar last night with a full guild group. I'm a brew, wife is a mist, buddy who we run 99% of our m+s with is a spriest. The other two are a rogue(don't remember what spec he was running) and a BM hunter.

So me, wife, spriest run our at least 10 every week. Think the highest we've done is a 12, but given a good affix week and good 4/5 spots we could do up to a 14 or 15 in time I feel. Last night we failed to complete the atal'dazar in time due to a wipe on the large trash pack before the goldfinger boss.

Let me state that teeming always throws off my mental math for total percentage. There is more trash...but each group seems to be worth like 5% less than normal, so I usually have to find an extra group to pull than I usually would. I'm also trying to pull groups in such a way that bwonsamdi always happens after a group instead of midway through. So I ended up skipping 1 large group I usually would have pulled, pulled one extra small group, then needed the extra group of 3 pterrodaxes in the middle to make percentage. I could probably have done this better mea culpa.

But the wipe made me look at damage done to the explosives. That is what we wiped to. At the end of thw dungeon I had done 734k damage to them, hunter 223k, spriest 116k, rogue 113k. Now the spriest I feel like I can give him a pass since his target swapping is so terribly slow, but the rogue and hunter not so much. Like I said these guys are guildees, I generally like them. But this just seems like ignoring mechanics. I feel like we should have easily done that in time even with my sort of bad choice of group to skip/pull.

Am I being unreasonable to expect these guys to do more on those or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    Tank and healer can deal with 80% of all explosives. And they should, to not prolong fights.

On big pulls, I'll help w/ explosives (Destro lock running Shadowburn for them), and I'll snipe ones that are far away from the main group, but on smaller pulls, I let the other players handle them. Did a 12 Freehold and ended up with the most damage done to them, but we were pulling big the whole time.

Tanks have almost nothing else to do and the meta these days involves the healer DPSing during downtime, which should be focused completely on the explosives.

That being said I'm a melee DPS who usually has 70% of the orb damage.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

I'll throw a sinister strike at them usually or if it's about to go off I'll waste a procced pistol shot or even a " run through" but generally I'll give the tank first hit on it. (Unless like 4 spawn at once). Blade furry procs off it so outlaw rogues don't have much of an excuse. Assassination on the other hand losses a lot of dps, sub somewhat, depends on if they are using CDs, which is 50% of the time.
    MM hunters can easily shoot an arcane shot, BM has a lot slower target switch then a lot of people think.

The rogue should have done a lot better on explosives, it's harder for spriest to do it imo.
    You are everything, I never knew, I always wanted.

Tanks should do the main portion of dmg to orbs. It's not that dps are lazy, but it's the most effective way of doing it. Sure dps should help out on the explosive waves on big packs, but they should prio damage if whenever they can and let the tank and healer do the rest. For most classes single targeting orbs is a huge dps loss to adds. As someone that both dps and tanks it always annoys me when the tank rely on dps to do the job.

Every member of your group had effective tools to handle the Explosives. If you wiped to Explosives going off it's a shared failure of the entire team.

Is it hard to say "hey guys, hit explosives, Joe, looks like you're slacking on it"?

No its not unreasonable to expect ppl to do it but I always find this after the fact stuff a bit passive aggressive if I'm honest. Want it doing? Simply ask.

As a Frost Mage, I've had runs where I did 60-80% of the Orb damage.
    What people need most for this affix is a nameplate mod. So the Explosive Orbs display as a standout color. So people can know when they spawn, and instantly react. Otherwise some could detonate before you realize they exist. (Happened in Legion)

Quote Originally Posted by tclphz View Post
    The rogue should have done a lot better on explosives, it's harder for spriest to do it imo.
    Issue with rogues, assuming he was Outlaw, the damage you do on Explosives does not get cleaved with Blade Flurry, making the trash packs last way longer than needed. And BM needs certain amount of gear before they can 1 shot explosives with Cobra Shot.

It's a tank/healer job, but if there are like 4-5 up at once, then sure everyone should kill them.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I ran a 10 atal'dazar last night with a full guild group. I'm a brew, wife is a mist, buddy who we run 99% of our m+s with is a spriest. The other two are a rogue(don't remember what spec he was running) and a BM hunter.

So me, wife, spriest run our at least 10 every week. Think the highest we've done is a 12, but given a good affix week and good 4/5 spots we could do up to a 14 or 15 in time I feel. Last night we failed to complete the atal'dazar in time due to a wipe on the large trash pack before the goldfinger boss.

Let me state that teeming always throws off my mental math for total percentage. There is more trash...but each group seems to be worth like 5% less than normal, so I usually have to find an extra group to pull than I usually would. I'm also trying to pull groups in such a way that bwonsamdi always happens after a group instead of midway through. So I ended up skipping 1 large group I usually would have pulled, pulled one extra small group, then needed the extra group of 3 pterrodaxes in the middle to make percentage. I could probably have done this better mea culpa.

But the wipe made me look at damage done to the explosives. That is what we wiped to. At the end of thw dungeon I had done 734k damage to them, hunter 223k, spriest 116k, rogue 113k. Now the spriest I feel like I can give him a pass since his target swapping is so terribly slow, but the rogue and hunter not so much. Like I said these guys are guildees, I generally like them. But this just seems like ignoring mechanics. I feel like we should have easily done that in time even with my sort of bad choice of group to skip/pull.

First off just use MDT to plan out your routes, pulls, percentages, exactly when youll get reaping and when to lust.
    Secondly it is 100% the responsibility of the rogue and the hunter to take care of those explosives and if everyone stays stacked the whole dungeon like they should it should literally be a non issue unless the rogue is brain dead and the hunter is asleep
    If the hunter is MM make them go BM or kick them immediately no sense in carrying
    Last edited by ZazuuPriest; 2019-05-01 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gioderpington View Post
    I'll throw a sinister strike at them usually or if it's about to go off I'll waste a procced pistol shot or even a " run through" but generally I'll give the tank first hit on it. (Unless like 4 spawn at once). Blade furry procs off it so outlaw rogues don't have much of an excuse. Assassination on the other hand losses a lot of dps, sub somewhat, depends on if they are using CDs, which is 50% of the time.
    MM hunters can easily shoot an arcane shot, BM has a lot slower target switch then a lot of people think.
    1. Nobody plays MM in dungeons(other than maybe King's Rest tyrannical)

2. BM is far better for target switching than MM, in fact it's 1 of the better specs for purely killing explosives due to being able to 1-shot them easily(with 405+ ilvl).

10+ Year Old Account
    Tank should deal with explosives, as much as you can.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Issue with rogues, assuming he was Outlaw, the damage you do on Explosives does not get cleaved with Blade Flurry, making the trash packs last way longer than needed. And BM needs certain amount of gear before they can 1 shot explosives with Cobra Shot.

It's a tank/healer job, but if there are like 4-5 up at once, then sure everyone should kill them.
    Sure, but the rogue is doing less damage than a shadow priest who would need I believe 2 hits from a mindflay to kill an explosive. It seems given the OP's purpose for the post that explosives were an issue. In that case, I would've expected the DPS as a whole to do better.
    You are everything, I never knew, I always wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by tclphz View Post
    Sure, but the rogue is doing less damage than a shadow priest who would need I believe 2 hits from a mindflay to kill an explosive. It seems given the OP's purpose for the post that explosives were an issue. In that case, I would've expected the DPS as a whole to do better.
    SPriest has access to Void Bolt for the Explosives.

Explosives with normal PUG pulls are a 2 man job (TANK + HEAL). At some weird pulls there might spawn more orbs than you can handle (orbs spawn at range), thats where DPS should help out.

Everthying else is a waste of damage done, prolonging the whole run and pulls with fortified get even harder, since you force your DPS to ignore interrupts and babysit explosives anyone could do (TANK + HEAL).

Imagine how your expectations read for most M+ players:

"It's fortified week, please ignore one-shot tank killing interrupts at trash and focus explosives because I cant tank (spam AoE) and kill explosives (pressing TAB)"

The only tanks crying about explosives are mostly the ones kting mindlessly mobs around for no reason and wasting aoe dps from everyone or not using LoS pulls to waste heal mana for nothing. I have zero pity with such players, the whole affix just amplifys bad pulling habbits and thats good for the game.
    Last edited by Ange; 2019-05-02 at 03:11 AM.
    -

I know the particular pull you are talking about and for those groups ranged should definitely have been on explosives since you're typically pulling the group back and you'll get explosives outside of where the tank can effectively attack them and the healer can be busy.

That said it's just a communication issue. You could have asked on the fly for the hunter to shoot them or even the Spriest to make them primary targets as you rounded up the group.

Explosive plus teeming is definitely a huge pain in the ass, but it's a communication difficulty, not a mechanic one.

as a rogue myself. I always have low dmg on explosives. We need energy to deal dmg, I can generaly kill a explosive with 1 mutilate, but 9 out of 10 times. I don't have energy to kill it, and even if i change to it first, someone else kills it before i get to use my skills. So low dmg on rogues is expected if the hunter is quick to swap

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much any keys I do with explosive I end up doing 50%+ total damage on them (i'm frost mage). Many tanks just don't target them since they busy with their own thing and to them it's the dps job. I know this is retarded but I run with guildies and we don't push high keys (over 15) anyway so not that big deal, so I don't want to start a drama and tell tanks what to do.