Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Eh, looks like MC is a kid again, so it will take another 10 years before the series gets good :/.
    This isn't gong to run 10 years. Kishi has a story planned out, is going to tell said story, then fuck off. I doubt this will even reach 100 chapters.

This isn't going to be some epic ongoing shonen. Which tbh, I think is the right way to go... The era of 700+ chapter sagas is over. Once the last few long ongoings ends, that'll be it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a lot going on in that chapter and kind of hard to follow, but I like it so far. I think it'll be good with shorter chapters where the plot won't be moving forward quickly like it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    This isn't gong to run 10 years. Kishi has a story planned out, is going to tell said story, then fuck off. I doubt this will even reach 100 chapters.

This isn't going to be some epic ongoing shonen. Which tbh, I think is the right way to go... The era of 700+ chapter sagas is over. Once the last few long ongoings ends, that'll be it.
    I guess that could make it more interesting. I'm not a fan of endless serialization, but even then it would take a couple of years to even reach the second half of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    yeah, no thanks, no interest at all.

the filler in naruto is enough to make me almost put my fist through my monitor, i can't live through that again.
    Are you talking about the manga or the show?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I guess that could make it more interesting. I'm not a fan of endless serialization, but even then it would take a couple of years to even reach the second half of the story.
    I mean, I heard someone say that he wants to finish at 10 volumes, which is about 40 chapters... but I can’t see that happening, tbh. I’m thinking this will run for one, to two years, MAX.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I heard someone say that he wants to finish at 10 volumes, which is about 40 chapters... but I can’t see that happening, tbh. I’m thinking this will run for one, to two years, MAX.
    10 volumes would be more than 40 chapters. Probably closer to 80-100. Looking at past series as an example, both Naruto and One Piece's first 10 volumes covered up to chapter 90. So that would be something around 2-3 years given the various holidays and breaks assuming it will be a regular weekly series.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds too awesome to not give a chance. Cyborg samurai, sure, why not?
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solid start. The "Holders" seem cool, the swords look excellent and there's a giant cat robot mentor. That's all I need.

Art is excellent, but can be a little "Busy" at times... Hopefully he'll relax into it, as the series goes on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Loved the first chapter. The art is a little busy but the official Viz release is a hell of a lot more readable than the scanlations.

The character designs and powers are great. The Holders are especially unique. I found the characters charming and likeable. The setting is interesting and the story has a lot of promise. This is the first new series in quite a while that has really grabbed my attention.

Also, I'm not so sure about the series being as short as some of you guys are suggesting. He said he's thinking it'll be about ten volumes right now but admits that just like with Naruto, the story will probably wind up growing in the telling. Even if it were only 10 volumes, that would be closer to 110 chapters, by the way. A volume of a weekly manga usually has 10-11 chapters each.

And for what it's worth, in the nearly 20 years I've been reading manga, I've never seen Shueisha push a new series so hard. There have been articles and interviews with magazines and newspapers, there are ads plastered all over Shibuya (including a massive mural in the train station), they've done two trailers, and there was even a segment on the TV show King's Brunch the other day. They started a #Samurai8 twitter campaign in Japan yesterday, too. As the number of tweets increases, they're unlocking pages of the original rough draft Kishimoto drew for the first chapter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    The character designs and powers are great. The Holders are especially unique. I found the characters charming and likeable. The setting is interesting and the story has a lot of promise. This is the first new series in quite a while that has really grabbed my attention.
    Indeed. I've been growing increasingly bored with a lot of my current reads. Even going as far as to drop MHA, and I VERY nearly dropped SnS. Only series that has had me constantly hyped the last couple of months is Eden's Zero, and now Samurai 8 looks like it'll be just as good.

Hope we're right!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I could not get into Eden's Zero, it's just more of the same. When it comes to shounen, the ones I enjoy right now are Black Clover and Boku no Hero Academia.
    Yeah, it's nothing particularly new, but the MagiMech system is fun, and they've teased just enough fuckery in the future, that I'm willig to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Plus, Homura is best anime girl, of recent years.

I was a huge fan of BnH, but I just found myself losing interest. After that arc where they had the training matches against class 2A, and it was like something from Celebrity Death Match, where they kept finding more and more ridiculous ways to give the win to the side that started off losing, I just couldn't be bothered. Plus, they played my boy Kirishima SO DIRTY.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a huge fan of BnH, but I just found myself losing interest. After that arc where they had the training matches against class 2A, and it was like something from Celebrity Death Match, where they kept finding more and more ridiculous ways to give the win to the side that started off losing, I just couldn't be bothered. Plus, they played my boy Kirishima SO DIRTY.
    Yeah that arc felt like some filler stuff (except that one relevant moment), but the new arc is pretty dope.

Now on the topic, I really like the art. But the story went a bit fast with the "from zero to hero" transformation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sezerek View Post
    Yeah that arc felt like some filler stuff (except that one relevant moment), but the new arc is pretty dope.

Now on the topic, I really like the art. But the story went a bit fast with the "from zero to hero" transformation.
    Good to know, might pick it up again.

And yeah, the transformation was a littl quick... But I think of it more like Luffy eating his devil fruit in chapter one. This is the start of his journey, and lets face it...
    A: the chapter was like 70 pages, that's basically three chapters.
    B: If it had been like five chapters of him stuck in his house because he's too sick to leave, that would have been SO fucking boring...

So I think the pace is fine, as long as he doesn't go Bankai right away and start wrecking everyone. For all we know, the dude he killed could be less than a trash mob, compared to what's out there... He looked really strong in that fight, yeah. But without context, we can't know how impressive that actually is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Mangalist stuff
    If sports-manga is on the table I would suggest Haikyuu and Hajime no Ippo. Both also have anime adaptions ( Ippo is quite old stuff and Haikyuu kinda new with a 4th season coming this year)

Naruto was suffering to finish, only reason why I kept up with it was because I started reading it in high school. The art work was and is always enjoyable, but christ this dude needs to hire a writer. (Never started Boruto because of that very reason.)
    Note: Boruto isn't written by Naruto author Masashi Kishimoto; Boruto is written by Ukyo Kodachi.

Seeing how I'm among fellow anime/manga nerds here, anyone have any good manga suggestions? My personal favorite manga(s?) (and manhwa) is(are?) Jackals, Full Metal Alchemist, Berserk, Worlds Greatest Disciple Kenichi, Veritas, and The Breaker (also including The Breaker: New Waves). Currently waiting on new My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan for anime, so any suggestions for those two I'll appreciate but I've enjoyed the anime too much to switch to reading.

Gunka no Baltzar is a military fiction manga set in a counterpart to late 19th century Europe, centering around a unification of the German states-esque situation. The protagonist is a colonel in the Weissen (Prussia expy) military, who is tasked to travel to the neighboring country of Basselland and reform it's millitary, while also pushing for Basselland's merger with Weissen. The plot only becomes more complicated from there. Focused on tactics and strategy.

There is no official translation of Gunka no Baltzar, and the fan translation team prefers to translate by volume, so there is no regularly updated release of the translated manga. You just read up to the latest chapter available and then remember to come back in a year.

Black Butler is follow a young lord, Ciel Phantomhive, and his demon butler Sebastien. The Phantomhives were the Queen's (Victoria's) watchdogs, but were killed by unknown assailants and their son Ciel was made a slave. His suffering was so great, he cried out and sold his soul to summon Sebastien to save him, on the condition that once Ciel finds who did this to him and takes his revenge, Sebastien will consume his soul. Having escaped, Ciel returns to the Phantomhive estate to take up his family's role as the Queen's watchdog, protecting Britain from supernatural threats whilst tracking down his attackers.

As of 2019, it appears that the manga has entered or is nearing the final arc of the story.

There are four anime adaptations. The first season, Black Butler, is a condensed adaptation of the first few chapters and has an anime original ending. The second season, Black Butler II, is completely anime original and was created due to the success of the first. The subsequent adaptations (Book of Circus, Book of Murders, and Book of Atlantic) are faithful adaptations of the manga arcs. The English dub is great.

Is boruto worth checking out then?
    At the moment, no. Both the manga and (especially) the anime are considered to be inferior to Naruto, in art, story, and characters. Doesn't help that the story moves at a snail's pace with only a handful of pages released each month and the main conflict hasn't appeared yet.

However, I was under the impression Black Butler was a yaoi-esque story. While I don't have a problem with these existing, it's not really one of my go to themes. If it's not, I'll check it out for sure, however I'll be sure to check out Gunka no Baltzar in a few days after I read a bit more through Hajime no Ippo.
    Black Butler is not a yaoi story. There is a secondary male character whose gimmick is his one sided obsession over Sebastien, and that's it. Black Butler's audience is primarily made up of women and most of the characters are handsome bishounens, which naturally goes hand in hand with lots of yaoi shipping. Thus, Black Butler's reputation.

10+ Year Old Account

Seeing how I'm among fellow anime/manga nerds here, anyone have any good manga suggestions? My personal favorite manga(s?) (and manhwa) is(are?) Jackals, Full Metal Alchemist, Berserk, Worlds Greatest Disciple Kenichi, Veritas, and The Breaker (also including The Breaker: New Waves). Currently waiting on new My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan for anime, so any suggestions for those two I'll appreciate but I've enjoyed the anime too much to switch to reading.
    My favorite manga at the moment is Dr. Stone. It sort of plays out like a typical battle shounen except you replace the battles with scientific discoveries. Set up is some strange event happens that turns every person on earth to stone then thousands of years later two high school kids ( of course) suddenly break out of their stone statues somehow alive. One is the ultimate good natured jock and the other is a super genius and together they set about trying to rebuild the modern world with science! It stats out a little rough because it feels like initially the author wanted the jock to be the main character but quickly realized the genius was way more interesting. As soon as the two split up and the genius finds a village of still living humans things really take off. It is also getting an anime adaptation here really soon.

The other I am really enjoying that just started recently is called Chainsawman. That one is pretty hard to explain and better to just jump into. It is only up to chapter 21 but it is so much damn fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Note: Boruto isn't written by Naruto author Masashi Kishimoto; Boruto is written by Ukyo Kodachi.
    I believe Kishimoto is still working on the series listed as the editor? Likely he is in charge of the overall plot while Kodachi handles the actual writing and dialog.
    Is boruto worth checking out then?
    Sadly, not really. It isn't terrible but to me just feels to much like the original series. Boruto is also a really boring protagonist. I honestly wish they would have made Sarada the main character as she is much more interesting. Cho-Cho is by far the best character though. I guess the one good thing is at least the new writer seems to understand how to write for female characters, something Kishimoto is notoriously bad at.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I believe Kishimoto is still working on the series listed as the editor? Likely he is in charge of the overall plot while Kodachi handles the actual writing and dialog.
    Kishimoto wrote the Boruto Movie (which is canon to the manga storyline) as a lead in for Kodachi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    The other I am really enjoying that just started recently is called Chainsawman. That one is pretty hard to explain and better to just jump into. It is only up to chapter 21 but it is so much damn fun.
    Oh my fucking god now I feel bad for not mentioning it...seriously the best fucking new shit out there

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "the art was busy and hard to follow"

Art was easy enough to follow, imo. And the art itself is fine. It just lacks depth and some decent shading. Otherwise, there are some very clean lines on those pages. Sadly, just needs to better differentiate between things. But I had no issues following the art or anything so... /shrug

Didn't have an issue with exposition, either, personally.

Was a decent enough start. Just let down by lack of depth within the digital art.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading it and only watching certain episodes that have fantastic art/animation is the way to go, imo.
    Truly as spoken by one with no taste.