Page 1 of 2
LastLast

J Allen Brack interview--fair amount of Classic stuff, bunch of general Blizzard info

Hey all - just wanted to post my latest Blizz exec interview. Brack had a few things to say about Warcraft, a ton to say about WoW Classic (BC and Wrath servers??) and a lot to say about the company's direction in general.

/backtolurking

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman...ic-and-diablo/

The best part of that interview is that further expansion servers are on the table.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Heather. He's certainly learned the art of a diplomatic and political answer. That's disappointing in a way. I've always thought of Brack as the more straight-up truth-teller willing to take an unpopular position because he thinks it's the correct one. This interview shows that he's learned some diplomatic chops. I suppose that's inevitable; still something of a disappointment.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    The best part of that interview is that further expansion servers are on the table.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see BC in 2021 and WOTLK in 2023. This way we would have something exciting for WoW every year.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Thanks Heather. He's certainly learned the art of a diplomatic and political answer. That's disappointing in a way. I've always thought of Brack as the more straight-up truth-teller willing to take an unpopular position because he thinks it's the correct one. This interview shows that he's learned some diplomatic chops. I suppose that's inevitable; still something of a disappointment.
    Gamers aren't very bright and tend to wildly extrapolate from the slightest offhand remark, which in turn can lead to disappointment, or misplaced bad sentiments. "See they said X and it means they don't care about Y!!!", or "they nodded when asked about Z which means they're definitely doing Z and I can't wait for it"

So they have no choice but to tread extremely carefully.
    Last edited by clownpenisfart; 2019-05-14 at 11:10 PM.

You could see it when he adopted the CEO hairstyle. He's not in a position to talk like he used to be able to. It's inevitable. It's a lot of happy talk covering up for a year of no real releases. It's as good as you'd expect, and as bad as you'd expect. He said a lot, but didn't really say anything. The investors will love him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    Gamers aren't very bright and tend to wildly extrapolate from the slightest offhand remark, which in turn can lead to disappointment, or misplaced bad sentiments. "See they said X and it means they don't care about Y!!!", or "they nodded when asked about Z which means they're definitely doing Z and I can't wait for it"

So they have no choice but to tread extremely carefully.
    It's already happening, people are running around various sites saying BC and Wrath servers are a done deal now. Which you have to expect, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    You could see it when he adopted the CEO hairstyle. He's not in a position to talk like he used to be able to. It's inevitable. It's a lot of happy talk covering up for a year of no real releases. It's as good as you'd expect, and as bad as you'd expect. He said a lot, but didn't really say anything. The investors will love him.
    If we're going to talk about a year with no new product I think that squarely belongs to Morhaime. No one seems to have had a plan to do very much this year. I like and respect Mike but if Blizzard needs a kick-in-the-ass to start producing product in a more timely manner it might not be the worst thing for them that he is retired. It's true, you can stay too long in one place.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

If we're going to talk about a year with no new product I think that squarely belongs to Morhaime. No one seems to have had a plan to do very much this year. I like and respect Mike but if Blizzard needs a kick-in-the-ass to start producing product in a more timely manner it might not be the worst thing for them that he is retired. It's true, you can stay too long in one place.
    I don't disagree at all. I don't blame Brack, either - just pointing out that painting smiley faces on a bleak year financially is his job now - and he seems to be up to the task. Take that as good or bad, as you will.

Blizzard as a whole, i think, needs new blood, across the board. I think that's where some of the stiff-necked, "set in their ways" from some of the devs might be coming from.

I bet only BC and Wotlk will be the only expansions to get their own legacy servers, they have a big enough playerbase to play and hook enough to attract new people who wants to play when wow was at his peak
    Last edited by Zandalariprelate; 2019-05-15 at 12:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    I bet only BC and Wotlk will be the only expansions to get their own legacy servers, they have a big enough playerbase to play and hook enough to attract new people who wants to play when wow was at his peak
    I would play a Cataclysm legacy realm if they gave us a real final raid tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I fucking KNEW it.

Look at my post history. I've been saying if Classic was "popular" enough, they'd likely do BC and WotLK.

Lich King here we fuckin' come sweety.

(I hope they allow you to xfer off of the Vanilla server to the BC server to the WotLK server, but retain a copy of your character on each previous server)

P L E A S E

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    I'm sure they will be.

Cata is too much like retail. Play retail.

But anyways, new WotLK servers over on r/wowservers usually get about 5k to 6k people at launch. They're quite popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I would play a Cataclysm legacy realm if they gave us a real final raid tier.
    That is the problem, I doubt they will add new content to the legacy servers, it's gonna be just a copy of the expansion in the last patch with probably numbers turned low for bosses
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    All aboard the TBC hype train so I can ditch modern WoW for a considerable amount of time if not forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I fucking KNEW it.

Look at my post history. I've been saying if Classic was "popular" enough, they'd likely do BC and WotLK.

Lich King here we fuckin' come sweety.

(I hope they allow you to xfer off of the Vanilla server to the BC server to the WotLK server, but retain a copy of your character on each previous server)

P L E A S E

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure they will be.

Cata is too much like retail. Play retail.

But anyways, new WotLK servers over on r/wowservers usually get about 5k to 6k people at launch. They're quite popular.
    I think other expansions for "Classic" style servers have always been on the table once they decided to take the plunge for vanilla servers.

But I think a LOT depends on how profitable Classic ends up being. There's a lot of nostalgia-fueled hype and expectation surrounding Classic, but if it doesn't actually do well or bring in enough money....I think TBC or WOTLK servers won't happen.

Can't wait for Burning Crusade, then I'll have played every stage of WoW at its proper level.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see BC in 2021 and WOTLK in 2023. This way we would have something exciting for WoW every year.
    No thank you, not everyone will get everything done in classic wow in less then 2 years. Unless they have other expansions set on their own servers away from classic then sure.

this is part of why i hate corporate and political creatures(i won't call them human, they are below the rest of us), their dodgy, evasive speech makes me sick. if there's any justice in the world, it'll one day be law that their tongues are cut from their mouths for it.

but the idea of a starcraft mmo is definitely something i want.

and also, i was right, BC and wotlk will never happen. there's no way that classic will be popular enough, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    He pretty much says that in the interview as well

They'll wait and see. If it's successful, they'll re-evaluate.
    To be 100% honest, I didn't read the interview. Mainly because I'm tired of listening to half-truths and hyperbole that can later be denied or spun.

However, I do think there's real potential to re-invest a lot of players. Both those seeking a massive nostagia trip, amd those who didn't start playing until later.

I just wish they'd focus their efforts on fixing the existing game, or launching WoW2 or some other IP, instead of taking the path of remaster.

Nothing new, they want to expand new titles to consoles and phones.

Try new things on older IPS if they are successful.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    To be 100% honest, I didn't read the interview. Mainly because I'm tired of listening to half-truths and hyperbole that can later be denied or spun.

However, I do think there's real potential to re-invest a lot of players. Both those seeking a massive nostagia trip, amd those who didn't start playing until later.

I just wish they'd focus their efforts on fixing the existing game, or launching WoW2 or some other IP, instead of taking the path of remaster.
    I don't think they have the creative talent to fix retail and in time they will ruin classic so a nostalgia trip is all we can enjoy until the lights go out on anything but candy crush type cash grabs.