Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much better would the world be if people befriended different people?

Should the Trump supporters befriend socially liberal American Muslims? Should rich yoga vegans of the coasts befriend the rural farmers?

Would the world be a better place?

How much better would the world be if people weren’t Homo sapiens sapiens but instead ultra-friendly magical creatures without vices and negative emotions?

This sounds ridiculous but in a way it’s no less ridiculous than what you asked in the OP. People are different and the older they get the harder it becomes for them to make friends with strangers with whom they have little in common. Would the world be a better place? Probably, but it wouldn’t be our world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Should the Trump supporters befriend socially liberal American Muslims? Should rich yoga vegans of the coasts befriend the rural farmers?

What should happen doesn't always happen... and what happens often shouldn't...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    You can't be friends with people who hate you.
    Usually this is the case, however, there are exceptions.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post

I don't think this will really matter. We make exceptions for the people we know. Hitler actually had and protected Jewish friends as the friends bit is more relevant to a person than the Jewish bit. Once you know someone they exit their social grouping and enter your friendship circle.

..also, those are some really specific groups!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Fucking exactly. Because hatred is a choice and living with someone’s boot to your neck isn’t life.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

A lot of ex military people mention meeting people from all over the country. Most of them see it as a positive.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    I don't think this will really matter. We make exceptions for the people we know. Hitler actually had and protected Jewish friends as the friends bit is more relevant to a person than the Jewish bit.Once you know someone they exit their social grouping and enter your friendship circle.

..also, those are some really specific groups!
    This right here 100% true.

And there were plenty of Jewish people that thought just get to along with Hitler would fix everything it fucking didn’t.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Some sort of common ground is generally needed for friendships that overwhelms differences.

I can think of a fair few demographics that I would never befriend. Con artists, the willfully ignorant, murderers, thieves, rapists, and so on. Even groups, particularly willfully ignorant, that I empathize with, they don't want to be friends with me because I call them out on their self-destructive behavior.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    You can be friendly to them however. Without trusting them.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I be friendly to people who hate me because I'm a woman or because I'm not white? To people who would either have me and others like me deported or killed if they were in power?
    I can see your point, It's pretty hard to consider being friends with or even friendly to folks always screeching at you that you are racist or sexist all the time.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I be friendly to people who hate me because I'm a woman or because I'm not white? To people who would either have me and others like me deported or killed if they were in power?
    If you can not see the reason why, then you shouldn't. I do it because I believe it empowers me.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Virtually all my friends are east coast liberals. Blue collar, white collar, just about every ethnicity under the sun. I’m a moderate half-Chinese Trump voter mostly disillusioned with this idea that personal politics means anything when it comes to who I’m friends with. The sooner everyone else figures that out the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Virtually all my friends are east coast liberals. Blue collar, white collar, just about every ethnicity under the sun. I’m a moderate half-Chinese Trump voter mostly disillusioned with this idea that personal politics means anything when it comes to who I’m friends with. The sooner everyone else figures that out the better.
    I assume they do not hate you for voting for Trump, since you still call them friends? And I absolutely agree with your point.

No they don’t. We may disagree politically but life’s about way more than politics. Looking forward to 4th of July bash in Columbia this summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    No they don’t. We may disagree politically but life’s about way more than politics. Looking forward to 4th of July bash in Columbia this summer.
    Good to hear!! Have fun.

Yes, people must go to war.

You mean you can't be friends with people you hate? Do you genuinely believe that you are always the victim?

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to make friends from certain demographics just to fill your diversity quota is stupid as fuck and you should feel bad for even suggesting it. A friendship is something that happens by chance and develops on its own and over time.

We are predisposed to label others as 'us' or 'them'.

Don't need to hate people with different opinions.