Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Horde Why did Blizz Make Geyah'rah Alt Universe Thrall?

I get that we needed a leader for the Mag'har, but why on earth did they make her AU Durotan and Draka's kid?

Even if she walks back her support of Sylv doing the same mindtwisting to Derek that she was upset with the Lightforged doing to the Mag'har in FakeDraenor, that's always going to bother me, but what do others think about the character?

Personally? I'd have gone with an AU Blackrock engineer.
    Twas brillig

She's a good representation of the Iron Horde, which is what the Mag'har basically are. Their issue isn't with slavery, since the first thing you do in helping them is bringing down a slave revolt and it isn't an abhorrence of cruelty for your enemy - they mass drain the souls of the footmen they fight. Their concerns are with allegiance to the leader, traditional orcish and clan ideals and not being servants of a cosmic power. Provided they have her turn on Sylvanas because Sylv's an old god puppet and is betraying her responsibility towards the Horde then Geya'rah can continue to be on the right track and the Mag'har can begin being the panacea to the shambles that are the MU!orcs in earnest. Knowing Blizz though she's about to be injected with extract of Baine like Bob had his perfectly solid motive to turn on Sylv replaced with prattling about saving 'the heart of the Horde'.

As for why she's AU!Thrall, fuck knows, I guess because it's memorable and also because it goes to show that the Frostwolves have also taken up the Iron Horde ideals since the players were gone.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    She's a good representation of the Iron Horde, which is what the Mag'har basically are. Their issue isn't with slavery, since the first thing you do in helping them is bringing down a slave revolt and it isn't an abhorrence of cruelty for your enemy - they mass drain the souls of the footmen they fight. Their concerns are with allegiance to the leader, traditional orcish and clan ideals and not being servants of a cosmic power. Provided they have her turn on Sylvanas because Sylv's an old god puppet and is betraying her responsibility towards the Horde then Geya'rah can continue to be on the right track and the Mag'har can begin being the panacea to the shambles that are the MU!orcs in earnest. Knowing Blizz though she's about to be injected with extract of Baine like Bob had his perfectly solid motive to turn on Sylv replaced with prattling about saving 'the heart of the Horde'.

As for why she's AU!Thrall, fuck knows, I guess because it's memorable and also because it goes to show that the Frostwolves have also taken up the Iron Horde ideals since the players were gone.
    To be fair, that's not entirely true the Stonemaul aren't slaves. They were 'subjugated' only in the sense that they beat the highmaul and rule them but they weren't slaves, and the revolt turned out to be due to them joining the Lightbound.

But yeah they've really made the Mag'har, both MU and AU, stupid evil EVERY TIME we've seen them after TBC.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    To be fair, that's not entirely true the Stonemaul aren't slaves. They were 'subjugated' only in the sense that they beat the highmaul and rule them but they weren't slaves, and the revolt turned out to be due to them joining the Lightbound.

But yeah they've really made the Mag'har, both MU and AU, stupid evil EVERY TIME we've seen them after TBC.
    Geya'rah mentions that these revolts are a common occurrence and 'subjugation' is pretty clear in its meaning. She didn't even know he was Lightbound until the end and it's implied that he chose it voluntarily because he found his chances better with Yrel. The Mag'har are pretty bad dudes.

The Mag'har fill a useful niche. They can do both orcs with defined clan identities and themed around conquest and loyalty and keep the green ones as Thrall-style orcs since god knows they have no one else left.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Geya'rah mentions that these revolts are a common occurrence and 'subjugation' is pretty clear in its meaning. She didn't even know he was Lightbound until the end and it's implied that he chose it voluntarily because he found his chances better with Yrel. The Mag'har are pretty bad dudes.

The Mag'har fill a useful niche. They can do both orcs with defined clan identities and themed around conquest and loyalty and keep the green ones as Thrall-style orcs since god knows they have no one else left.
    It's not clear, that's just your interpretation. None of them are marked "Stonemaul slave" or anything, Blizz isn't exactly subtle about when people DO use slaves, we saw it both in the Horde and Iron Horde pretty explicitly in the past.

I do agree though that Mag'har are nice since they have the clan identities, but that's also a problem in that the clan identities cover pretty much everything, the green MU orcs really have nothing. Tbh I think the best option is either for the green to make some new clans* or merge into the old ones.

*The problem remaining that they have almost no niches that don't overlap with AU Mag'har
    Twas brillig

It's not clear, that's just your interpretation. None of them are marked "Stonemaul slave" or anything, Blizz isn't exactly subtle about when people DO use slaves, we saw it both in the Horde and Iron Horde pretty explicitly in the past.
    We subdued the ogre clans long ago. But every so often, one of their bravest--and stupidest--stirs the embers of rebellion. Today is such a day.

You and Eitrigg will join Geya'rah in putting down the ogre uprising. Prove yourself in battle and you may earn her respect.
    We have to deal with an ogre uprising every few seasons.
    Stonemaul Ogre says: Overlord! Stonemaul don't want trouble with orcs. Kor'gall's in his cave.
    While it doesn't outright say they're slaves, they're a subjugated client race at best and it's obvious that this is ensured through force, with Kor'gall being a governor for them. The issue he takes with Geyarah later is that she can't protect them, which supports that interpretation. The quest chain is remarkably morally grey for how hamhanded some of the dialogue is.

I do agree though that Mag'har are nice since they have the clan identities, but that's also a problem in that the clan identities cover pretty much everything, the green MU orcs really have nothing. Tbh I think the best option is either for the green to make some new clans* or merge into the old ones.
    While the MU orcs have been dead for quite a while that's largely because Blizzard cut out their development at the end of Mists along with most of their cast. The Mag'har have no cast except Geya'rah, but because of the clans they have a lot more potential for varied characters. They're also militant and industrialized, whereas you can focus on the more shamanic, repentant warrior shtick that Saurfang exemplifies with the MU orcs, coupled with Thrall's combination of Frostwolf and human society building. You can also have them clash over stuff like the use of the void, how they practice shamanism and industrialization. There's room to work with here and it's really a chance to nail down both as to what they're about and refresh the orc roster.

5+ Year Old Account
    I thought that the genderbending was fanfic levels of cringy, but as Nym said I would have preferred it to be Lady Hellscream. Our Garrosh was supposed to be the worst of all timelines, it would've been nice to see 'him' become the hero 'he' could've been. I do find it funny that FemThrall is much fussier than Thrall himself. I guess it goes to show that he would've been just as hot tempered as the rest of them if he weren't gentrified by humans.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    I thought that the genderbending was fanfic levels of cringy, but as Nym said I would have preferred it to be Lady Hellscream. Our Garrosh was supposed to be the worst of all timelines, it would've been nice to see 'him' become the hero 'he' could've been. I do find it funny that FemThrall is much fussier than Thrall himself. I guess it goes to show that he would've been just as hot tempered as the rest of them if he weren't gentrified by humans.
    Don't you worry.

Eternal Champion of the Light, Lightbound Exarch Garrosh Hellscream from AU Draenor is on his way.

I think Blizz sometimes for some strange reason thinks something will be cool which actually really isn't, hence Gey'arah is AU Thrall.

Good thing is, apart from it being mentioned once in Mag'har scenario, that's really the extent of it. From what we've seen of her so far, she doesn't seem like Thrall at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Lady Hellscream actually sounds really cool. I'm into it!

I actually think for Azerothian/WoW standards the way the Mag'har handled the Stonemaul was quite nice. Sure, they conquered them and also seemed to have somewhat dismantled their defenses, but they let them keep on living in their territory, ruled by one of their own and didn't interfere, unless they rebelled. When they actually did that, they left everyone alone who didn't pick up arms against them too and went straight for the rebels, not planning to 'wipe all of the Stonemaul out' but simply beating the rebels back into submission. For a warlike no-nonsense people that's quite level-headed.

As for why Geyah'rah is AU Thrall... I don't know, but maybe they plan on some kind of small confrontation there, I hope something that both Thrall and her can learn something from. In case Thrall doesn't bring Aggra to the war, I hope Geyah'rah gives him the same speech Draka gave him in WoD

I imagine they have a reason planned out. Something like a “Martha” moment

While it doesn't outright say they're slaves, they're a subjugated client race at best and it's obvious that this is ensured through force, with Kor'gall being a governor for them. The issue he takes with Geyarah later is that she can't protect them, which supports that interpretation. The quest chain is remarkably morally grey for how hamhanded some of the dialogue is.

While the MU orcs have been dead for quite a while that's largely because Blizzard cut out their development at the end of Mists along with most of their cast. The Mag'har have no cast except Geya'rah, but because of the clans they have a lot more potential for varied characters. They're also militant and industrialized, whereas you can focus on the more shamanic, repentant warrior shtick that Saurfang exemplifies with the MU orcs, coupled with Thrall's combination of Frostwolf and human society building. You can also have them clash over stuff like the use of the void, how they practice shamanism and industrialization. There's room to work with here and it's really a chance to nail down both as to what they're about and refresh the orc roster.
    1. Subjugated Client Race fits, and at least some of the other ogres note that they didn't want any part of the rebellion. Whether that's purely for fear or genuine camaraderie or because being WITH the Horde has been better than fighting them is probably up for debate.

2. Yeah we really do need some more MU orcs, and I guess Kaz the Shrieker is still around for the AU Mag'har.

The problem is MU Orcs are also pretty militant and industrialized ever since Cata. AND Several AU Clans also focus on shamanism and have that same frostwolf peacefulness.

I've always felt people overplayed how much the 'human' factor extended into Thrall's MU green orcs, what's so different between the AU unified clans and the Modern green orc horde? Tbh I think the best path is for MU orcs to play up the cultural influences from Other Horde Races.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never gotten why they write Thrall as so gentrified.

He had ONE friendly human point of contact, one good-leaning neutralish sergeant guy, but his primary contact with humans was an abusive drunk and gladiator games.
    Twas brillig

expect her to be a raid boss in 8.3
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I find it amusing how having the same parents make someone the "alt version" of someone else.
    Guys, if your mom and dad have another child, it isn't going to be an "alt version" of yourselves. It can be someone similar, or someone completely different. Geyah'rah looks pretty damn different.

Quote Originally Posted by Josmo View Post
    I find it amusing how having the same parents make someone the "alt version" of someone else.
    Guys, if your mom and dad have another child, it isn't going to be an "alt version" of yourselves. It can be someone similar, or someone completely different. Geyah'rah looks pretty damn different.
    Well actually given how reproduction works which sperm fertilizes the egg is essentially roulette, and some factors like environmental temperature and diet have been HYPOTHESIZED to affect baby gender and other traits. So... yeah, that doesn't bother me as much as the narrative contrivance of it all.
    Twas brillig

7+ Year Old Account
    Because they want the "strong woman in power" thing,with a female thrall would be easy do a genderbend to get aprove instead of creating a new one, its like changing sex from a marvel character

Well we needed a leader who was preferably not a "redundant character" to avoid the headaches caused by the timey wimey wibbly wobbly nonsense. She works as well as any. I suppose not much about her reflects that parentage, but at the same time Thrall wasn't raised by his parents in the first place, so how would we know?

5+ Year Old Account
    I've never gotten why they write Thrall as so gentrified.

He had ONE friendly human point of contact, one good-leaning neutralish sergeant guy, but his primary contact with humans was an abusive drunk and gladiator games.
    It's because he's an orc gladiator in medieval-hellscape-land, given the personality of a middle aged human man raised in the luxuries of the modern era. It doesn't even sound right. Tying his character so deeply with Metzen to the point that they share receding hair lines/silvering was a mistake. To keep him matching Metzen's personality, they'd have to continuously gentrify Thrall at an absurd pace so they'd always reflect each other.

It's to the point that Thrall marrying a 'savage' orc like Aggra feels wrong. He's almost 'too civilized' to be with her. It'd be like seeing an Ivy league graduate marry the female embodiment of Duck Dynasty.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that we needed a leader for the Mag'har, but why on earth did they make her AU Durotan and Draka's kid?

Even if she walks back her support of Sylv doing the same mindtwisting to Derek that she was upset with the Lightforged doing to the Mag'har in FakeDraenor, that's always going to bother me, but what do others think about the character?

Personally? I'd have gone with an AU Blackrock engineer.
    You forget she has actually faced racial and religious persecution as well as genocide at the hands of the Draenei. She is going to always side against any person or group of people who worship the light.

Whats more the AU Shadowmoon use necromancy so she wouldn't see that as something wrong as she grew up seeing it.

She sees this as a chance to protect this Horde from the horrors she grew up with of course shes going to side with Sylvanas.

They needed some more female representation