Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Viewers don't care about Classic, they care about their streamers

The only reason why Classic has gotten any viewership traction is because famous streamers like Asmongold and Sodapoppin are streaming the game. Without these famous streamers, there's hardly anyone actually watching streams of Classic WoW. The numbers are back to where they traditionally have been.

When these famous streamers go back to streaming something other than Classic, their personal viewership will go with them whilst WoW's plummets. So the interest doesn't lie with Classic WoW itself, but with the streamer personalities behind the screen. So any sort of overall interest for Classic WoW based on stream viewerships should be taken with a grain of salt, as these people are there to watch their favourite streamers, not Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its true, I mean people watch soda even when hes playin the most garbage games you've ever seen.

And its understandable, watching classic is just... really boring, theres only so much you can do to entertain your viewership while you grind boars.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only aspect of Classic that's going to get any kind of sustained viewership will be the PvP. As @Nnyco said watching leveling is boring, and the raids likely won't last long. There's no dungeon challenge modes to speak of. So really when the PvP starts is when we'll get a good idea of what sustained viewership is like.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

The 2 streamers you mentioned literally built up their following by playing WoW...

Why does this forum consist of people who are excited for classic, and then people who want to shit on classic every chance they get? Like cool, you dont like it... Dont play it...

It's like yall being lactose intollerant and walking into a creamery and screaming "MILK IS DOG SHIT! YOU DONT EVEN LIKE MILK PRODUCTS! HOT DOGS ARE WHERE IT'S AT BRO!"

Like, who cares? Move on. Classic is happening, either ignore it, or embrace it... but theres no need to just look for every opportunity to trash it for zero real reason.
    Last edited by WashedUpRaider; 2019-05-21 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    The only reason why Classic has gotten any viewership traction is because famous streamers like Asmongold and Sodapoppin are streaming the game.
    Others like Esfand, Annie, Staysafe, MrGM, Quin69 or Guzu are sometimes +5k too.

Without these famous streamers, there's hardly anyone actually watching streams of Classic WoW. The numbers are back to where they traditionally have been.
    I've just checked on twitch and Asmongold and soda are not streaming now. 1st BFA streamer (Naguraa) in WoW section is at... 17th place with with 800 ppl watching.
    Tell me more.

When these famous streamers go back to streaming something other than Classic, their personal viewership will go with them whilst WoW's plummets.
    Asmongold already said that he will not stream anything but WoW.

Might be, however, a retail guildmate of mine who started in mop and bashed classic in ts for the last few months actually reached out to me on whatsapp two days ago. He told me how hyped he is for classic after watching streams for a couple of days. Asking him why he said he loves the itemization and the relevance of the world (we just texted a bit).
    Not sure which streamers he watched and it might just be the hype train, nevertheless very interesting.

So you mean to tell me that people are actually watching Asmongold for... Asmongold?! And not for a level 18 warrior autohitting single mobs to death for 30 seconds? Color me as surprised as a surprised Pikachu.

WoW is boring af to watch, Classic WoW is about as interesting as watching paint dry. People watch this shit for the streamers who are acting all crazy like the world is about to go down when they accidentally pull a second mob in a dungeon despite them being able to easily handle 5 without any troubles. These 100k people aren't watching Classic because they wanna see the gameplay, they're watching it because they like the hype around it - and that hype comes and goes with the handful of big streamers.

The only reason why Classic has gotten any viewership traction is because famous streamers like Asmongold and Sodapoppin are streaming the game. Without these famous streamers, there's hardly anyone actually watching streams of Classic WoW. The numbers are back to where they traditionally have been.

When these famous streamers go back to streaming something other than Classic, their personal viewership will go with them whilst WoW's plummets. So the interest doesn't lie with Classic WoW itself, but with the streamer personalities behind the screen. So any sort of overall interest for Classic WoW based on stream viewerships should be taken with a grain of salt, as these people are there to watch their favourite streamers, not Classic.
    i disagree . very strongly .

i do think that people care about classic very strongly

WoW was a phenomenon of that time. and regardless of how garbage it is by nowadays standards people do have extremly strong nostalgia regarding it.

i think that compared to BfA classic is utter garbage

but im very happy its coming out and most liekly will be followed by expansion themed legacy servers.

just so people could see through this nostalgia but also have a chance to replay it whenever they like.

15+ Year Old Account
    Usually 90% of wow streams have been PVP. So I think those few that do other stuff are being watched because they are entertaining, not necessarily because they have good skills. So naturally those have a good amount of viewers, beta or not.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Xalvia View Post
    Might be, however, a retail guildmate of mine who started in mop and bashed classic in ts for the last few months actually reached out to me on whatsapp two days ago. He told me how hyped he is for classic after watching streams for a couple of days. Asking him why he said he loves the itemization and the relevance of the world (we just texted a bit).
    Not sure which streamers he watched and it might just be the hype train, nevertheless very interesting.
    heres the thing. im also hyped about a lot of things sometimes

for example im really hyped that after ill come back from work i will level up my dark iron shaman a bit

and then after healing through 2 dungeons i most likely will get bored and go do something else

but im hyped about it.

same is my "hype" about classic - im hyped to log in when it will come out do initial 5-6 levels and log out for a week - but im sure i will enjoy doint those 5-6 levels.

same mechanism .

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    People watch because they're too empty/lazy to play themselves and only follow the person(s). Why watch someone when you can play/look forward to play yourself and/or do stuff of your own?
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    People watch because they're too empty/lazy to play themselves and only follow the person(s). Why watch someone when you can play/look forward to play yourself and/or do stuff of your own?
    I'm not sure if i agree with the why people watch. But that's only because I agree wholeheartedly with your second statement and can't wrap my mind around why anyone watches games on twitch.

As for the big beta streamers, you people know viewership for beta always skyrockets because of key giveaways and shit.
    Last edited by Binaris; 2019-05-21 at 01:08 PM.

If you think that Classic wouldn't be just as hyped without "big streamers" you're actually insane.

There are three types of successful streamers:

1) Titty streamers
    2) Professional types who draw an audience based on their skill at their craft (gaming, instrument, etc.)
    3) Entertainers

Asmongold is an entertainer and people will watch him regardless. Why would he not play Classic full time? The dude will be a god in-game- he'll have the first full epic set in his guild, the first Thunderfury, choice picks on all teammates, etc.

You're incorrect if you don't think that'll be fun for him to stream, and thus fun for the audience to watch.

I guess that’s why much smaller streamers also saw a spike in their viewership.

Most streamers will always have a core audience that watches them regularly every day. Like Asmongold can average 25k viewers on a normal streaming day, Sodapoppin can average at least 30k. With the release of Classic beta their viewers have been doubled, Asmon even reached 100k when doing a Deadmines run. All these extra people are the ones who want to see Classic WoW and don't usually come fo the actual streamer. The ones only coming for the streamer are those 25k/30k as mentioned before.

Sodapoppin can basically boost every games viewership by a lot because his viewers will watch every game he plays, while Asmongold exclusively playes WoW (he tried out other games but ended up sucking at them all really bad) and therefor will always boosts WoW's numbers significally. I do think that the high amount of Classic WoW viewers are watching because they don't have beta acces themselves and this is the only way to see Classic gameplay.

I never understood how people could watch someone play WoW. Playing WoW is already boring but watching someone do it?

I started with WoW in 2004 and never watched anyone Stream WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Villentretenmerth View Post
    I never understood how people could watch someone play WoW. Playing WoW is already boring but watching someone do it?

I started with WoW in 2004 and never watched anyone Stream WoW.
    With the greatest respect to the game I love, when has WoW EVER been a good game to watch other people play. In any inception, any expansion pack. I couldn't think of something more dull to do.

So w/e really anyone who's watching a streamer play World of Warcraft instead of something ... worth watching ... is someone with tastes far removed from my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Personality, jokes, discussion, interesting stories, attachment you may have for the streamer, the community experience (what little of it there is), them trying out crazy things you yourself would never consider, them being a better player than you and offering advice, not having the motivation to actually play but wanting to be entertained... the list goes on, mate.

Why do people come home and sit in front of a TV watching shows instead of doing things? Similar reasons.

What's interesting to me is when these names are mentioned in retail you get a list of posts like "who is asmongold" but suddenly when him being a massive influencer can be spun to help the "classic is bad" bangwagon they are hugely known and make an impact. Which is it?