Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV]DC UNIVERSE DOOM PATROL (Titan's spinoff)

Well looks like DC already has a spin-off from Titans. Doom Patrol was featured in the 4th episode of DC Titans and is now getting it's own show.

I gotta say It feels exactly like the Titan's, the trailer is absolute garbage but the first episode is great!

Okay, yeah, it does look utterly predictable. Just yet another "omg nobody likes me because of my powers" angsty bullshit. When will that trope finally die?

Then again... Timothy Dalton. Might just have to.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really don't get why people watch theses dc shows when they seem to have such little effort put into the.

I had hopes Titans was canon to DCEU, but since it's not it lost intrigue. I kinda liked it regardless, I just felt it wasn't as effective alone like that, we already have Arrowverse after all. Doom Patrol will suffer the same condition. I'll spend an evening or two to check it out, but I'm not anxiously waiting for it. The addition of Cyborg specifically miffs me, for the reason I so wanted this shit to be canon with DCEU. His incarnation in Justice League(2017) was good.

But hey, Brendan Fraser.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    I had hopes Titans was canon to DCEU, but since it's not it lost intrigue. I kinda liked it regardless, I just felt it wasn't as effective alone like that, we already have Arrowverse after all. Doom Patrol will suffer the same condition. I'll spend an evening or two to check it out, but I'm not anxiously waiting for it. The addition of Cyborg specifically miffs me, for the reason I so wanted this shit to be canon with DCEU. His incarnation in Justice League(2017) was good.

But hey, Brendan Fraser.
    The DCU is a mess and has no future at all since affleck is leaving. I think they can make a much better universe for the series than they can for the movies where they just don't seem to have a clear vision and act super reactive to critics.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like more DC shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trailer looks kinda shit, but the vast majority of reviews I have read have been really positive. No way I am signing up for yet another streaming service just to watch it however.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post

But hey, Brendan Fraser.
    From what I understand they have pretty much given up on a connected DCEU at this point and are going to try and make each film an actual good film (what a concept) first and not worry about connecting each into a larger narrative.

Its a no from me.

I thought it was pretty good, much like Titans it has some real wobbly effects in places but it has some promise.

Much was made of Brendan Fraser being in this, I think he's probably the worst part.

Not familiar with the characters, well unless the one guy is supposed to be cyborg.

From my impressions of the trailer:
    - The girl seems to be a major pain in the ass, like all split personally characters. I personally call them instant drama mix, because whenever there isn't enough drama you can just have one idiotic personally screw everything up. This one even comes with 60+ flavors of hack-writing potential.

- Discount cyborg seems okay, though the hinted origin of him seems dumb. "I was so angry I caused a lab explosion".. urgh okay. The CGI on his shield move looked a bit cheap. Otherwise they didn't show enough of his charater so I guess he could be interesting at least, even if the prosthetic looks like garbage. What I'm a bit curious about is that if that is indeed cyborg, then just.. why? From looking at the wiki wasn't beast boy supposed to be part of this team? While I wanted him in TT, I wanted him there and not just stuffed into another team.. btw, it really is cyborg, even with a different origin, isn't it?

- The woman is just gross. It's probably a pity magnet.. it's like the curse version of Mr. Fantastic. I hope they didn't spend most of their budget on her melting animations... I read up on the character on the wiki and it seems she has potential. I hope for the series that they make it that far because I'm still grossed out about the early version /shudder.

- The gay pilot could be interesting, but they didn't really show what he can do. He is burned and gay is so far the only thing I could gather from his character and he can release some thingy from his chest with unknown effect. Curious about the character, but I also get the tokenism vibe, I hope they can handle him carefully.

- Tinman.. well. He looks shit, the cheap kind of shit at the dollar thrift store you get for a last minute halloween costume. What was shown though and the way the trailer is framed, he seems to be the central character? While he is one of the interesting ones here, his character seems to write itself in my head. Has the danger of beeing way to predictable, typical "gentle giant that no longer can feel" kind of stuff. Also seems a bit too close to the cyborg guy tbh in character theme.

Alsos: Lol, what is with the power ranger cyber force reject villain?
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-02-17 at 11:51 AM.

I really enjoyed the first episode. Good to get baseline character past out of the way, and set up delving into the backstories a bit. I did read the comics back in the day, so seeing Crazy Jane switch to the Sun Daddy persona was quite a treat. I know there is talk if it is or isn't set in the same universe as the Titans show, which, to me, is stupid: put it in the same universe and hand-wave some small stuff if you have to. One of the first shows in awhile I'll be making sure I catch right as it releases on the service. Titans, Young Justice, and Doom Patrol have made me feel I got my money's worth out of the service, which is a damn shame consider there is ALSO the comic book side, which is atrociously "curated"... This service should be a slam-dunk.

The one thing I'm already worried about, which by now has to be a trope, is the good guy that's really a bad guy. Caulder in more recent comics created the accidents that made the team. Hell I'd call him downright evil. I'd much prefer the guy honestly trying to help them out, but making bad choices under the guise of helping/protecting them. That to me is a whole lot more interesting than a closet evil bastard.
    Last edited by SavoirFaire; 2019-02-17 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Tags

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This seems like it could be a pretty big spoiler for the show, honestly.
    Duly noted and fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Not familiar with the characters, well unless the one guy is supposed to be cyborg.
    . . .

- Discount cyborg seems okay, though the hinted origin of him seems dumb. "I was so angry I caused a lab explosion".. urgh okay. The CGI on his shield move looked a bit cheap. Otherwise they didn't show enough of his charater so I guess he could be interesting at least, even if the prosthetic looks like garbage. What I'm a bit curious about is that if that is indeed cyborg, then just.. why? From looking at the wiki wasn't beast boy supposed to be part of this team? While I wanted him in TT, I wanted him there and not just stuffed into another team.. btw, it really is cyborg, even with a different origin, isn't it?
    Cyborg will be in Season 1 Doom Patrol, and will join Teen Titans for Season 2 allegedly.

-----

The trailer was really bad.

The main title sequence was awesome.

The first episode was great and some of the teases for fans of the comic were nice gems.

Not sure how people who aren't aware of the source material will react to this.
    Hopefully, nothing like above.

Just caught up with the show, and its amazing! Loving everything about it fo far (except discount Cyborg).

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

It is a preaty decent show.
    The only problem i have with it is the blob lady jesus she is annoying but i get her character.
    Shes written very well because she is really irritating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mark Sheppard is in this show.

Guess I’m wathcing!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

So far a very solid start 5 episodes in. Well on its way to unseat DD S1 as my fav live action comic book adaptation. Really hope it doesnt fizzle out right at the end like Titans did (though I attribute that to “hey let’s stretch this into season 2”).

I thought for sure I was going to hate Cyborg in this show but damn if he isn’t working out so far. Had a great character moment in the last episode with his arm. It really sets the stage for an interesting arc and perhaps the thing that pushes him to the Titans (w/o going much into spoilerville).

So anyone else follow Doom Patrol to the end?

Enjoyed the series start to finish, up there with Daredevil S1 to me as favorite comic to tv show. I know Swamp Thing and Stargirl are likely taking a different route (horror and well who knows, but likely not anything like DP), but as someone who did a year sub for the comic side, I’ll likely re-up for the live action shows if the quality holds.

I really enjoyed it, far more than 99% of the genre stuff on TV. Well acted, funny and weird without being pretentious. All the characters were well represented, so much so I find it hard to pick a favourite but I think Rita wins out in the end for me.

I'm surprised more people arn't talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    I really enjoyed it, far more than 99% of the genre stuff on TV. Well acted, funny and weird without being pretentious. All the characters were well represented, so much so I find it hard to pick a favourite but I think Rita wins out in the end for me.

I'm surprised more people arn't talking about it.
    I don't think I'm that surprised at all, mainly because Doom Patrol is seemingly the definition of absolutely solid TV. Its not great, it's not really trying to be, but everything it does is competent, makes sense and is enjoyable to watch.

If you have a look through this forum the shows that seem to get lots of attention are those that people have some problem with, mainly when it comes to superhero stuff, that there is too many women/POC and/or it changed a character that they liked one particular incarnation of.

I enjoyed watching it, hopefully enough other people did that we can get another series.