Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"Gaming disorder" is now an official disease by World Health Organization

So the WHO released an updated International Classification of Diseases ( the last one was 25 years ago) and in it there's modern problems like workplace burnout is considered a disorder and also gaming disoder but that's for 0.5% to at max 1% of the gaming population appartently.

I think it's good that the medical field aknowledges this , it could be helptul for those really needing treatment and maybe not even paying for it from their pocket ( maybe insurance will one day cover it? ) . Also it's like anything else , if you drink a beer you aren't an alcohoolic, if you place a bet on a sports team once in awhile you aren't addicted to gambling etc.

What do you guys think about it?

Here are some sources but there's plenty around since they just released this info , i'm sure your favourite sources have it covered too:

https://www.cnet.com/news/world-heal...icial-illness/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOm1WIkq8k

It was probably about time they updated their list if it was 25 years since the last one.

And I think gaming disorders have become even more prevalent due to the introduction of gambling-like features, adding on as another layer to the pre-existing Skinner-box-like structure of games.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

And the definition is :

"Gaming disorder" lives under the "disorders due to addictive behavior" section of the ICD. It's described as "a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior, which may be online or offline, manifested by impaired control over gaming, increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities and continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences."

Im just surprised they put "addiction" in the illness category... feels weird.... but whatever, im not the one having parents that cant do they job preventing their 12 years old spending 10 hours a day on fortnite... bad parents are going to blame everyone else but themsleves, it's also well known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unleash the "meanwhile, with gender...." memes

They should also recognize "Social Media Addiction", "Twitter Warrior Disorder" or collectively put "I'm living in this thing called Internet bubble and I'm so detached from reality that I started inventing problems in my cozy 1st World country"...

Quote Originally Posted by Assorted Whip View Post
    They should also recognize "Social Media Addiction", "Twitter Warrior Disorder" or collectively put "I'm living in this thing called Internet bubble and I'm so detached from reality that I started inventing problems in my cozy 1st World country"...
    Wouldn't they fit under internet addictions?

So does this mean I can call in sick from work for my "gaming disorder" to stay home and play PoE next league? Can the doctor give me a medical certificate of my gaming disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    It was probably about time they updated their list if it was 25 years since the last one.

And I think gaming disorders have become even more prevalent due to the introduction of gambling-like features, adding on as another layer to the pre-existing Skinner-box-like structure of games.
    Oh yeah.

I love fallout, I have just been playing through it again and the feeling of "I am done" is almost novel now. Those types of games seem to be very much on the decline.

The worst part is they are looking at these never ending games and are now thinking about, rather than you just owning it, how they can monetise every single hour you play in some way. It is a disorder that is being engineered in one way or another and I do think think there needs to be awareness that this business model is on a collision course with well being.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So pretty much it's just Addiction, which has already been a disorder for.. well ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I'd say they are retarded enough to be considered their own.

That's a too broad term, there's more to Internet than social media.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    So does this mean I can call in sick from work for my "gaming disorder" to stay home and play PoE next league? Can the doctor give me a medical certificate of my gaming disorder?
    You really want your boss to know that you're an addict?

7+ Year Old Account
    So working a job should be considered an addiction because we do it even though it has many negative consequences and prevents us from doing other interests.

Well the description for gaming disorder is almost exactly as the description for gambling disorder with a few words changed in it.

Also the ESA ( etertainment software association ) aren't pleased with this entry and made a statement regarding it :

http://www.theesa.com/article/global...lassification/

Which is hypocritical of them because they say games aren't adicting yet gaming companies are openly engineering their games to trigger the same type of adicting behaviours seen in gambling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, the WHO has a lot of issues, mainly in how they categorize everything on a micro level. They just took being transgendered off their list...
    Problematic gaming habits are a symptom. Addiction is a disease. The cause can be a multitude of things, from chemical imbalances to unhealthy coping mechanisms. Maybe just immature time management/well-being skills.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-05-30 at 10:36 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I don’t think the insta-hoes realize using Instagram and Snapchat on their phone counts as being on the internet.
    illuminati all over my body

What's the gaming disorder disability pays like? Asking for friend and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Problematic gaming habits are a symptom. Addiction is a disease. The cause can be a multitude of things, from chemical imbalances to unhealthy coping mechanisms. Maybe just immature time management/well-being skills.
    You realize it says that right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    Well the description for gaming disorder is almost exactly as the description for gambling disorder with a few words changed in it.

Also the ESA ( etertainment software association ) aren't pleased with this entry and made a statement regarding it :

http://www.theesa.com/article/global...lassification/

Which is hypocritical of them because they say games aren't adicting yet gaming companies are openly engineering their games to trigger the same type of adicting behaviours seen in gambling.
    The ESA backs big AAA company's, They won't say it.

Honestly this video breaks it down really well, It does have some comedy bits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    What's the gaming disorder disability pays like? Asking for friend and stuff
    Congratz you made the same dumb joke about this that 1000's of others have made.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Congratz you made the same dumb joke about this that 1000's of others have made.
    Not in this thread they haven't Besides, maybe there's a plot twist and it wasn't a joke? Who knows!

15+ Year Old Account
    I find it hard to believe that so many still listen to the WHO.
    Current Rig
    Intel i5 3570K | Corsair H100 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | R9 390 8GB | G.Skill 16GB | Intel 520 Series 180GB | 8TB in HDDs
    Seasonic X-760 760W | 27" U2711 Dell | Corsair 600T | Logitech Z506 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    Not in this thread they haven't Besides, maybe there's a plot twist and it wasn't a joke? Who knows!
    Post #7.....

Same dumb underlining joke.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    WHO is a joke.

But if I can claim disability for this then I’m going to.