Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think realism is decreasing faster than ever?

Maybe its the internet but i see so many conspiracy theorys and people that dont even believe thousands of sciencetist in cases of climate change and other stuff, is it just because they want to be diffrent or do they actually think everyone is telling them bullshit?

I think you gravitate towards that stuff, so that's why you face it a lot.

If you stop going to discord, onto MMOC or feeding the youtube algorithm with conspiracy theory videos you won't come across it as often.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    I think you gravitate towards that stuff, so that's why you face it a lot.

If you stop going to discord, onto MMOC or feeding the youtube algorithm with conspiracy theory videos you won't come across it as often.
    i just read a couple of mmo champion posts and im suprised and frightened by some comments, to me it seems like people dont want to believe in obvious things so they can exclude themself, maybe i am wrong..

MMO Champion just has a tendency to attract conspiracy theorists for whatever reason even though it's against the forum rules.

Scientists in the 2000s swore up and down that we were at Peak Oil. They kept telling us that oil reserves were going to start dwindling down fast going forward and that the price of oil would just keep rising higher. Thousands of scientists kept giving us their charts and data pointing to the same conclusion. They belittled anyone who said it was wrong. Well, it turned out to be wrong. All those scientists with their hard data and charts got it dead wrong. As it turns out, new processes emerged to find more oil and get more out of the ground. Production increased, prices fell and remained flat.

Did the scientific community admit they were wrong? Never. They just quietly retracted their statements.

Credibility is fungible. You get a major prediction wrong as a scientific community with A, then people will wonder if they are getting it wrong with B as well.

That is why climate change will never EVER be accepted by lots of people.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Scientists in the 2000s swore up and down that we were at Peak Oil. They kept telling us that oil reserves were going to start dwindling down fast going forward and that the price of oil would just keep rising higher. Thousands of scientists kept giving us their charts and data pointing to the same conclusion. They belittled anyone who said it was wrong. Well, it turned out to be wrong. All those scientists with their hard data and charts got it dead wrong. As it turns out, new processes emerged to find more oil and get more out of the ground. Production increased, prices fell and remained flat.

Did the scientific community admit they were wrong? Never. They just quietly retracted their statements.

Credibility is fungible. You get a major prediction wrong as a scientific community with A, then people will wonder if they are getting it wrong with B as well.

But is the correct response to completly dismiss it? I can give you thousands of examples where scientists have been right, cherry picking one example seems weird to me...

Quote Originally Posted by taaaaas View Post
    But is the correct response to completly dismiss it? I can give you thousands of examples where scientists have been right, cherry picking one example seems weird to me...
    People don't like being told what to do. I don't like being bombarded with climate change doomsday talk all the time either, I personally can't do jack about it and the public discourse is aimed at the wrong things, I bet most people who are sceptical feel the same, it's not Adam polluting the pacific or David running a coal powerplant.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    People don't like being told what to do. I don't like being bombarded with climate change doomsday talk all the time either, I personally can't do jack about it and the public discourse is aimed at the wrong things, I bet most people who are sceptical feel the same, it's not Adam polluting the pacific or David running a coal powerplant.
    I shouldnt have opened with climate change, its to complex and in my country they enforce rules that will hurt people too, its a complex topic but the complete denial to thousands of independet scientiest doesnt seem right neither, i am not arguing against unfair conditions because of this. I am just tired of dismissing thousands of scientist opinions just because it suits you better... sorry for my bad english, it isnt my first language

Once we colonize Mars there'll be a Flat Mars society.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Once we colonize Mars there'll be a Flat Mars society.
    sometimes i feel like we can be on the moon again and they think the earth is flat even tho it rotates

Edit: if they believe we are actually on the moon than..

Flatterers inflict great harm upon idiots - Democritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

Likening Peak Oil to Climate change is a plain lie, and moreover is comparing apples and oranges.

Peak oil was never even as close in profile or unanimity as climate change, and was largely based on reserve numbers provided by governments and was a function of technology and economics. New technology to access previously inaccessible or un-economical oil reserves shifted peak oil ever more into the future. Or to put it another way, the Peak Oil concept is really a commentary on humanity's ability to produce something rather than the existence of something. It's closer to Moore's Law, rather than Climate Change. It is an observation about an artificial process (the rate of human production of something) rather than a natural one.

Climate Change is at it's foundation, a collection of observations about an ongoing natural process as the natural world reacts to human activity. About deviations from the predicted / previously obvserved baseline within the natural world due to a large series of "stimuli", largely of human origin.

And this:

"Credibility is fungible. You get a major prediction wrong as a scientific community with A, then people will wonder if they are getting it wrong with B as well."

As I scientist I can tell you, is not true at all. Let's go down the list of some things scientists were wrong about in list the last 30-something years.

-That the universe was in a perpetually steady state or destined to collapse, rather than, as it is, expanding, at an accelerating rate
    -Nearly everything related to the function and potential treatment of Alzheimer's.
    -Pluto is a planet, and Earth-like planets are rare in the universe.
    -Water and oceans doesn't exist anywhere in the Solar system other than Earth
    -Dinosaur's looked very much like giant lizards.
    -Neanderthals and humans didn't interbreed.
    -Human beings emerged nearly simultaneously in multiple regions across the old world, and not Out of Africa.
    -The Moon coalesced and formed at the same time as Earth
    -Homo Sapiens were the first form of life to have a sophisticated culture and language.
    -Nothing escapes from a black hole and any information beamed into one could never be re-assembled.

Shall I continue?

Positions on these things, some of them esoteric, some of them quite in the public mind and long heald, changed because of new findings brought about by new tools and techniques. We sort of single out climate change because that's something that every living person will have felt the effects of one day, but the development of our understanding of climate change was contemporaneous with similar breakthroughs in understanding in other fields.

It really doesn't get much more fundamental than the universe will expand at an increasing rate forever, or that there is water on moons in this very solar system several times that of what exists on Earth. Those fundamentally change our understanding of the natural order we live in, just the same.

And fundamentally, science is not a democracy and the public doesn't get a vote. If they did, Earth would still be the center of the universe.

Maybe its the internet but i see so many conspiracy theorys and people that dont even believe thousands of sciencetist in cases of climate change and other stuff, is it just because they want to be diffrent or do they actually think everyone is telling them bullshit?
    because life of most people sucks and they keep dreaming about change - literaly any change - because they keep asking themselves "is that really it" while doing the same bring job whole life and leading in general very boring meaningless lives.

15+ Year Old Account
    I question people who blindly believe "experts" and don't think for themselves. The experts, throughout history, have often been wrong. I mean there were times that the experts were telling us that the world is flat, that certain diseases were caused by bad blood and required leeches to cure, that smoking was perfectly safe, etc.

Climate models are very very often wrong. It's hard to believe experts when they so often admit they've been wrong in the past and/or can't explain what's currently happening. I mean the hole in the ozone SHRUNK recently (look it up) and they straight-up do not know why. They just don't know. So much for their "science".

Do I believe climate change is happening and is man-made...YES. Do I believe that the earth will be essentially unlivable in 10 years? No. Do I believe we have either past or are very close to the "tipping point"? No. Because these scientists have bungled the predictions so many times I just cannot trust their models.

I also believe if we want to really combat climate change, we need to take on the biggest offenders...India and China...the entire earth should agree to massively punish them economically in order to FORCE them to reduce their emissions, instead of giving them decades to MAYBE do it themselves. China essentially has complete and utter control over their population and industry...if their government were to suddenly make reducing emissions a priority...it would happen...end of story.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2019-06-10 at 09:52 AM.

It's fine, once the death toll picks up a bit people will start believing in climate change, especially once churning out greenhouse gasses and other shitty emissions stops being profitable.

People tend to struggle understanding existential problems that they can't really see, combine that with endorsing anything that might confuse the public as to the real extent of the problem in media, politics etc. It's the same as big tobacco of the 50s/60s trying to convince everyone that smoking wasn't unhealthy, at least until the scientific evidence was insurmountable. Alas, climate change will not see that point until after it's already gonna fuck us nice and hard since I don't think there's an analogy for lung cancer/emphysema until after people are dying of heat/cold and coasts are underwater.

Here's hoping either people wake the fuck up or renewables become more profitable than oil before we're completely fucked!

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It has always happened. Whatever is the topic there will always be people with different opinions, some might be silly enough to deny hard evidence.

I guess it is in our nature as we always based life and its event on superstition, as we simply had no way to better explain them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I question people who blindly believe "experts" and don't think for themselves.
    I question people who blindly dismiss experts, and don't think for themselves.

What's the difference between blind belief and blind dismissal?

I still have faith in humanity and chose to think 99% of them are trolls and memers,I refuse to believe in the age with the most easy access to information people are literaly more ignorant than before the internet was invented

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets blame me for buying a bottle of coke in a plastic bottle and ask me to fix it, never-mind talking to coca-cola about the issue.

On topic: It's a self perpetuating issue, people talk a lot of shit and support a lot of shit - you don't know what to believe anymore. I think Brexit is a good example. Instead of the people in positions of power telling you the pros and cons of remain & leave and allow you to make an informed decision, they focused on bullshit smear tactics of why the other guy is wrong, often lying in the process.

Frankly the media have a lot to answer for when it comes to all facets of society being "stupid".

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I question people who blindly believe "experts" and don't think for themselves.

This anti-expert, anti-science, anti-intellectual nonsense is not good for society. Yes, experts can get things wrong, it happens. Nothing is ever perfect. You know who gets things more wrong? Some random no one who has no real experience in the field.

If I have a cavity I'm going to go to the dentist and have him put a filling in. I'm not going to go to some random no one who says I need to lick 8 lamb anuses to fix my tooth. But if you'd rather lick 8 lamb anuses then you do you.