Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I don't think that's just it. In part it's nostalgia. In part it's what @Temp name says, the limitations of 8bit forced composers to be more creative and catchy. In part is what @XDurionX says, as there are hundreds or thousands of 8bit music that "no one" remembers, so we are comparing average of today to the very best of old days.

It's the same with movies for instance, we tend to remember music from iconic movies and tv-series, not only because they might be good music, but because of what that music is associated with. For instance the Walking Dead intro theme - you'll probably never listen to it as "music", but if you watched it it will likely feel iconic for the rest of your life.

And it's also the same with music in general really, we remember the classics and greatest hits, and are quick to judge how most modern music is crap - because we simply forgot about all the crappy/forgettable music that was made back then as well, and only remember the good ones well.

Another thing is it's just a process of growing older. Not just on a neurology level, but on a mathematical level. The more you experience, the more you establish your taste and a base of "knowledge" that you will compare everything new to, so the older you get, the harder it is to find new things you really like on that sort of level, especially things that aren't somewhat like what you already like.
    Nice and objectively analysis, that probably the truth of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    FF6 seriously begs to differ.
    Catchy boss theme and decent terra theme and like I said dancing mad is great, but dont remember anything else. I even think ff1 has better music.

It's 100% that you only remember the good ones from the 8-bit era. I'll put something like "Answers" from Final Fantasy XIV up against any of them. Gotta cherry pick the good ones to put against the ones that have already been cherry picked.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    It's 100% that you only remember the good ones from the 8-bit era. I'll put something like "Answers" from Final Fantasy XIV up against any of them. Gotta cherry pick the good ones to put against the ones that have already been cherry picked.
    All right~

Because games was made with love not with commerce...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Video game music didnt become music till ps1. Aside from dancing mad
    16 bit music definitely delivers more emotions than real recorded instruments!

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Video game music didnt become music till ps1. Aside from dancing mad
    Booo!

- - - Updated - - -

Ever since video games got music there has been examples of great tracks, and it hasn't stopped since then. I would match the Blizzard composers against any movie composer, except Williams, of course.
    Mother pus bucket!

My favorite VG soundtrack is still Super Castlevania IV (SNES).

I'd rather listen to the original soundtrack (maybe with just a little bit of reverb) instead of all the shitty attempts at remakes/remixes/orchestration etc. you can find on Youtube. Even the more "professional" ones don't capture the atmosphere of the original soundtrack. It's a masterpiece from start to finish.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millens View Post
    Because games was made with love not with commerce...
    Yep, that's part of the reason~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    My favorite VG soundtrack is still Super Castlevania IV (SNES).

I'd rather listen to the original soundtrack (maybe with just a little bit of reverb) instead of all the shitty attempts at remakes/remixes/orchestration etc. you can find on Youtube. Even the more "professional" ones don't capture the atmosphere of the original soundtrack. It's a masterpiece from start to finish.
    Indeed, Michiru Yamane is really a major contributor to the brilliant music which Castlevania obtained.