Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    You literally just shit on me for not going to a private school, implying that I am less intelligent than you because of it. Your disdain for anyone below your class shows constantly. Just because you pretend, doesn't mean that your true feelings don't come out. Just like that little bullshit story about your youth. It speaks volumes.
    Hey, don't throw punches unless you're willing to get some black eyes. Seriously. Don't be a bitch. Seriously. I wrote a story about a suicide in high school caused by a college withdrawing its admission, and you decided to call me a warmonger and talk about my prep school background, which I was not bragging about, but shared to offer context, as if it was a bad thing.

You're the villain in this story.

No. I have disdain for you because I think the thoughts you've shared here are monumentally ignorant. Really. Dumb as rocks. That's not a commentary on your socio-economic background. You just believe hysterically wrong things. See next quote:

I don't understand how you think the slogan Arsenal of Democracy has anything to do with deterrence. We weren't even in the war at that time, let alone flexing our might globally.
    Yeah. I got you. Ha!

Uhhhh...what do you think was going on on at Pearl Harbor that made it desirably for the Japanese to attack? What do you think was sunk by the Japanese? Fishing trawlers? Where do you think the US Navy fleet fortuitously on patrol that day was doing? Following dolphins?

What the hell was Lend-Lease? You think the US was sending the British and Soviets just blankets and fruit?

Exactly when did the US military build up began? The late 1930s. Ever hear of the Second Vinson Act, aka the bill that mandated the Two Ocean Navy? Yeah. That was 1938.

You're one of the most profoundly history ignorant people I've come across here in some time.

You see @Boomzy, shit like this, is why I mock your beliefs. FDR, the man who coined the phrase "Arsenal of Democracy", literally advocated building the most powerful war machine of its age in advance of a war, in no small part to deter it, and engaged in actively interference and deterrence pre-war, and he to you is not a "neocon". And yet I am a neocon, even though I definitively share basically no philosophical overlap with actual neocon beliefs, for advocating much the same as FDR and JFK did, just in the modern context.

Thanks a joke. And you're not a serious person because of it.

If you're 16, you're old enough to know this is a bad word - and that using bad words like this has consequences. End of story. Nobody will buy the "i was trying to out-shock my friends online" excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Let it, I said it, and I have gone out of my way to change over the past 20+ years. I'm not trying to hide who I was as an idiot teenager.

I love that you are blaming the "social media mob" like this, and you went out of your way to be willfully ignorant about me, by making a predetermined assumption to an answer, then said you didn't even want the answer... because you had already made up your mind. Congratulations, you get the award for the most ridiculously ironic comment of the day.

Here's the thing, if you want to comb through my social media history, you will see me condemning racism a thousand times, and mentioning how fucking stupid I was for being racist as a teenager. I've had more than twenty years of improving myself, and I hope this kid does the same. That doesn't mean he still gets to go to Harvard, as people are responsible for the things they say and do.
    Yikes, that’s some rent free cringe. Stop seething and go dilate and have sex, it’ll help you cope.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-06-18 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Infracted for trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    its more than that as philosophy. you presented there policy's in an american centric way but didn't say how they differed in philosophy from other brands of conservativism.

Neoconservatism or Thatcherism/raganism or if you want to credit the guy really behind it Enoch Powell who actually authored a lot of the economic theory that underpins the movement, is a global conservative idea not centered on just america. and it defined the 80s not just because it held sway in america but also the UK and a lot of Europe. it was also the seed bed for globalism from which the new liberal globalist left was born that has replaced most of the old unionist left of the 70s
    Well, this is from an American perspective.

Strictly speaking, Neoconservatism and Thactherism/Reaganism were fellow travelers, not synonyms. And Neoconservatives were not necessarily Reaganites (although many were), and Reaganites were not necessarily neoconservatives (MANY were not). And Neoconservatism was not a synonym for 1980s anti-Soviet / anti-Communist foreign / defense policy, Reagan or Thatcher.

Neoconservatism said little on religious and social issues and broad generalities on economic policy (mostly praising markets and individual opportunity). Reaganism and Thatcherism had a conserable amount to say on those issues, far more than neoconservatives did, because they pulled from non-neoconservatism sources.

Neoconservatism in American became largely a foreign policy phenomenon, and one focused on the Middle East because "other actors", lets call them such as Supply-side economists, Wall Street Republicans and the 1980s "moral majority" (the rise of evangelical political power) squeezed out influence in non-foreign policy domains.

the. Data. Doesn't. Back. That. Up.

- - - Updated - - -

The line between Religion and cult is extremely blurry.
    ideology's become religion's when there tenet's are enforced by an authority that makes them unquestionable by its followers.

a cult is just a spin off religion thats broken away from the main authority but doesn't have the power to be equal to the OG authority, this is why the modern term for cults is "new religious movements" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ious_movements

Protestantism when it spun out of Catholicism had the numbers and power to challenge the authority of Rome and claim its title as a religion, the Jehovah's Witnesses on the other hand make the cult list because they are small and weak.

a religion is just and ideology + authority, a cult is just a religion - power.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    Yikes, that’s some rent free cringe. Stop seething and go dilate and have sex, it’ll help you cope.
    Well, that's a nice deflection from you being completely wrong about me from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Well, this is from an American perspective.

Strictly speaking, Neoconservatism and Thactherism/Reaganism were fellow travelers, not synonyms. And Neoconservatives were not necessarily Reaganites (although many were), and Reaganites were not necessarily neoconservatives (MANY were not). And Neoconservatism was not a synonym for 1980s anti-Soviet / anti-Communist foreign / defense policy, Reagan or Thatcher.

Neoconservatism said little on religious and social issues and broad generalities on economic policy (mostly praising markets and individual opportunity). Reaganism and Thatcherism had a conserable amount to say on those issues, far more than neoconservatives did, because they pulled from non-neoconservatism sources.

Neoconservatism in American became largely a foreign policy phenomenon, and one focused on the Middle East because "other actors", lets call them such as Supply-side economists, Wall Street Republicans and the 1980s "moral majority" (the rise of evangelical political power) squeezed out influence in non-foreign policy domains.
    yes though it could be said the really Reagan and thatcher were neo-con's that pulled from other brands of conservative to fill in the policy blanks that Neo-conservationism had no say or interest in. which is also likely why those policy's haven't lasted as long as the globalist free market capitalist economic policy that under pinned neo-con thought. social policy's have changed and flip flopped over the years but from Reagan and thatcher right through to trump (and Corbyn if he ever gets in) no one in power left or right has questioned the direction set out by the new cons on a global economic level since the 80's, some have made tweaks to it but its still the economic landscape norm of the west.

Harvard itself didn't do wrong as its responsible to protect its reputation first. It's the whistleblower I recent. If the students in question behaved themselves otherwise a private convo should be kept private. Don't like the attitude someone portrays privately, have a spine and tackle it then and there rather than get them in disproportionate trouble for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    lol imagine thinking the lib left and tankie left are anything close together.

Oh, I was wrong, anarchists where active in Syria before Turkey came in guns blazing. Have not really kept up with it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Dunno, you tell me.
    you know exactly where he should be if it wasn't for the middle class left preventing him reaching the national stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    It's Harvard, they can let in who they want and keep out who they want. But the real question becomes, Why would anyone want to go to Harvard with their faculty that has included and still in some cases continues to include slave owners, segregationists, bigots and antisemites. Lets be fair, they clearly did the kid a favor by telling him to bugger off.
    Are you saying there are Harvard professors who currently own slaves? Any evidence of these claims?

OT: Normally I'm not keen on punishing a 19 year old for something they did when they were 16. You can grow up a lot in those 3 years. That said, Harvard is beyond competitive. I can see them deciding to go with someone else in this case. It's not like I've seen any evidence this kid was superlative in some manner beyond most other Harvard students. When you're talking about competing at the level of Harvard, unless you are well beyond amazing in some way, every little thing is going to count.
    Last edited by DSRilk; 2019-06-18 at 02:16 PM.

Maybe he will do the sensible thing and go to a trade school and not go into tremendous debt over a pointless 4 year degree.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Maybe he will do the sensible thing and go to a trade school and not go into tremendous debt over a pointless 4 year degree.
    Harvard graduates do just fine in earnings.

Lmao this literally happened a year ago. News flash, private institutions can deny whoever they want as long as it doesn't violate any law based on discrimination.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...ebook-messages

The line between Religion and cult is extremely blurry.
    I think the main difference is time.

- - - Updated - - -

On average, a bachelors degree alone will net a man almost 1 million dollars more in his lifetime. A graduate degree will net over 1.5 million more. The annual cost of harvard is roughly 50k a year without financial aid, and while I don't have references off the top of my head for this, I suspect a bachelors or graduate degree from Harvard will earn you far, far more than the average increases given above. Even if they don't though, that 4 year degree will still net you an average lifetime increase of $700,000.

Is it really sensible not to strive for that if you have the option?

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/rese...-earnings.html
    https://www.harvard.edu/about-harvard/harvard-glance

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    you know exactly where he should be if it wasn't for the middle class left preventing him reaching the national stage.
    Lol the middle class left? The only people on the left against Sanders are the most extreme anarchists and tankies.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    I think the main difference is time.

- - - Updated - - -

On average, a bachelors degree alone will net a man almost 1 million dollars more in his lifetime. A graduate degree will net over 1.5 million more. The annual cost of harvard is roughly 50k a year without financial aid, and while I don't have references off the top of my head for this, I suspect a bachelors or graduate degree from Harvard will earn you far, far more than the average increases given above. Even if they don't though, that 4 year degree will still net you an average lifetime increase of $700,000.

Is it really sensible not to strive for that if you have the option?

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/rese...-earnings.html
    https://www.harvard.edu/about-harvard/harvard-glance
    Meh, After going through and wasting 4 years of my life for the overpiced piece of paper I can say I would definitely go the route of a trade. Electrician or Plumber are in extreme high demand, and soon will be even higher with the huge push by high schools to get everyone to go to 4 years when most people are not cut out for the college path and are just wasting time and money when they could go to Trade school for 9 months to 2 years and be in the workforce and make 200K before someone even graduates from a 4 year college and have 0 debt when they are done.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa18UJVKr5s

watch it and its follow up. it a speech by Marlita Hill and it changed my view on the word about 15 years back when i first saw it. i wish more folks would as well.
    You got a TL;DR, dude? I'm not gonna watch a video about the N-word at work. I'm curious what could be in this video to change your view on it, and in what way it changed your view.

Meh, After going through and wasting 4 years of my life for the overpiced piece of paper I can say I would definitely go the route of a trade. Electrician or Plumber are in extreme high demand, and soon will be even higher with the huge push by high schools to get everyone to go to 4 years when most people are not cut out for the college path and are just wasting time and money when they could go to Trade school for 9 months to 2 years and be in the workforce and make 200K before someone even graduates from a 4 year college and have 0 debt when they are done.
    I don't think it's really in question that the average Harvard graduate has a better standard of living than the average tradesman. There's nothing wrong with being a plumber or an HVAC technician, but it's foolish to try and compare it to a Harvard grad. And average plumber earns $57k a year, whereas the average Harvard graduate is already making over $81k by the time they hit 34. And also let's face it, the ceiling for a Harvard grad is nearly limitless, while a plumber... not so much. They can expect to make $70k right out of the gate, so will make up that difference very quickly. Not only that, they are also more likely to work at companies that provide better benefits like health care and 401k matching.

You have stated in the past that you go ut of your way to not provide health care for your company's employees. That's fine, but a Harvard graduate will be able to get a job at a company that does, and that could easily be another $10-20k a year in benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm not old enough to remember when black Americans were legitimately oppressed, but it's been weird seeing them become so sacred that blasphemy results in immediate rejection from most institutions and the public reaction is basically, "well, you should know better than to blaspheme, those words aren't for whites".
    Are we seriously at the point where we're bemoaning that being a vocal racist has consequences, now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Lol the middle class left? The only people on the left against Sanders are the most extreme anarchists and tankies.
    so why did he lose to Hillary then ?