Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    It is fine. Thing is its stress test, characters are all throwaways, so nobody else bothers with arena. When real realms will go live, it won't be just 1 person going for those chests, so it will be fine.
    And how do you know for sure ? And what about twinks guild that will take over the arena on every layer to gear all their mates faster for example ?

I would agree with most other people here that it's not as big of an issue as you make it out to be Collax. However, I would much rather prefer server queues, and higher server count, with eventual merges where needed, than layering. It's a very unfortunate thing to introduce to Classic.

The people who are saying it's fine it's only in the beta and will only be for first couple weeks are being a bit nieve here.

In the beta there is absolutely no reason for it to even exist, blizzard control the population of who got into beta, it's only public release that it really is needed for.

But what about stress tests you say? Well that's kinda my point, if they can turn it on and off as they claim since they say its only for first few weeks of release why is it permanently on in all zones of beta? Why not only turn it on for stress tests. Surely ensuring they can turn it on and off correctly is more important than testing it in areas it shouldnt even exist.

It would be like them testing black temple next in classic, utterly pointless because it should not exist in classic. The fact that it's in the beta at all is very worrying.

Where are all the #nochanges people regarding this? Something as simple and non intrusive as a hd model toggle gets shot down because no changes yet people are happy for the actual gameplay to be changed from vanilla with sharding.

I played recently on a wotlk ps release and the leveling areas were awful due to pop but thats pretty much how it was on release day of vanilla, so while i totally agree with sharding for first week leveling areas i feel it's really hypocritical to dismiss other changes that could drastically increase some peoples enjoyment without affecting gameplay or others. I really have no reason to play classic after finding out about the no hd models, like i can just play a ps and add in hd models mpq and the game looks far better, cant do that in classic on their 7.3 client. Same with addons they are all different if running on 7.3
    Last edited by Yes but actually no; 2019-06-21 at 12:43 PM.

Even if it happens as you think it will, who cares? So instead of waking up at 3am/6am for a week and getting chest when nobody is online, it will be done in couple of days. No biggie. Arena is irrelevant.

But I doubt it will be like that. For that to happen there needs to be guilds or streamer with lots of friends, many of them in different layers and there needs to be no competition. But there will be competition from other players who can kill those twinks with ease.

Arena is empty on stress test because nobody there gives a shit about it.
    It make it easier to get and that's the whole problem. To get this trinket you need to work for it.
    No the Arena is not irrelevant, the trinket is used a lot even in lvl 60 pvp. It also contains items worth gold. And the arena isnt the only thing that is abusable. Plenty of people absuing layer hopping to get tidal charm faster too. And Lets not talk about black lotus and devilsaur.

Those items are supposed to be hard to get, if you don't care about this you might as well go play retail.

And By this logic why not make the marshall gear easier to get too ? I mean who cares after all ?

It really isn't and never was. You are blowing things out of proportions for sake of making a fuss out of nothing.

It is easy to get by:
    1. You can ask friends to help. 5 (or more) vs whoever shows up is guaranteed trinket every 3 hours.
    2. You can log in at night when nobody is online.

It was never hard to get.
    Remember you have to get 12, good luck asking your friend to come 12 times, and if you show alone you will mainly only get it at night (especially if you are a twink), that's another difficulty and if you can only manage to get it at night, that's still 12 day to get it if you are lucky.

All the people saying that this is not a big deal - just go back to retail. I wonder what you're gonna do when the same is gonna happen with the shit you need.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by collax View Post
    I'm not against layering itself but against the layer hopping thing that allow some gamebreaking things to happen. My solution would be to let players choose their layers when they create their characters and not allow them to switch at all between layers (and layers can be merged later when population drop).

Or restrain layering only for the starts zone.

But i would rather pick no layering (even if it mean having to wait for quest mobs) than layering in this current state.
    a layer isn't a server. you cant choose a layer because they don't exist until needed. there spawned on the fly and then deleted when no longer needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    All the people saying that this is not a big deal - just go back to retail. I wonder what you're gonna do when the same is gonna happen with the shit you need.
    well it would fix the problem, no need for layering when theres only double digit players on a server haha.

Yeah, the problem is that the expected behaviour have alot of "unexpected" bad consequences.
    Honestly, I gladly take this minor thing and other "clever use of game mechanics" over people from the same realm not seeing each other (Layering but without transfers on grouping) or instable servers (no Layering)

Quote Originally Posted by Yes but actually no View Post
    But what about stress tests you say? Well that's kinda my point, if they can turn it on and off as they claim since they say its only for first few weeks of release why is it permanently on in all zones of beta? Why not only turn it on for stress tests.
    Because the Beta is for testing stuff, not you having a great time.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    And as for the people suggesting lag, disconnects, and poor respawn times, and overcrowded quest areas should be part of the experience? Get over yourselves and stop being idiots. Never heard such shite spoken all week.
    So you are suggesting that people disappearing in mid air, and layer hopping abuse should be part of the experience ? Because this is LITERALLY one of the reason we wanted Vanilla and not retail.

"it's just a beta", yeah we already heard that for bfa too, turned out well yes ?

And if they wanted to fix the abuse of this chest, they'd probably implement some kind of hidden debuff that prevents you from opening more than one of these chests in 15 minutes, instead of scrapping the entire Layering system. What did you expect to achieve with your rant?

I mean, when you go to a medieval faire, do you expect them to release a couple dozen rats, a handful infected with the Plague, just for immersion's sake?
    Because that's what the Classic launch without Layering would be: not many characters would get old.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Thinking about it, if you can switch layer at will, that also mean you can abuse this to kill more mobs to xp faster. This could even allow a group of mage to aoe farm and they would get to lvl 60 in 3 days.
    (That's what happened on a private server where they were able to abuse dynamic respawn, this can screw the whole lvl 60 race as well as the whole realm class balance because when people found they could do that they all rerolled mage and basically half the players were mages at one point).

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Because the Beta is for testing stuff, not you having a great time.
    And everything that you cut out of my post to quote explains why it shouldnt be in the beta to "test".

Why are you "testing" a feature that apparantly wont be in the live game nor was it a feature of vanilla wow?

"Mobs take ages to kill anyways" Not when you have 5 mage groups aoeing everything. The only downside of this method if that even in good spot there isnt enough mobs with a normal respawn time, but if they can switch layers to grab more without waiting for respawn, this is the fastest method by far.

Even a solo mage can aoe farm quite efficiently, here's a vanilla video of one doing it for example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMeBA0D1LJY (now imagine with 5 instead).

*whines about layering*

Ignores that during a stress test (where most are in the starter zones), they are testing the starter zones for load (where the most action will be during the first 2 weeks), and head to Gurubashi Arena (at level 3 or such) and is a zone that will very likely have layering turned off, if it is even still active on the servers at all, and then uses it as shitty *proof* that layering will be a problem.

How the fuck are people falling for shitheel *news* streaming like this I have no idea.
    i mean - even standing in front of ogrimar to duel/watch duels you can tell layering is an issue, i turn on a streamers channel and see him with 30 people around dueling having fun but on my screen on same server its me and 2 other guys wondering /where soda?
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Could be for the whole phase 1 so potentially months. And even if it's only 2 weeks, it's still gamebreaking. You only need 1 day of play to get to stv.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but there is still the nodes/chest abuse ? (And i don't see how this can be fixed)
    https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentFastSageMoreCowbell
    It's not gamebreaking at all. You want gamebreaking? Turn it off and see what happens. It's there for a purpose, and once that purpose is served it'll be disabled. I can't imagine it'll be on for weeks, more like the first few days. The demand will never be as high as launch day (when they'll need it the most), as even after a few days peoples schedules etc. will play into it and there won't be such a clusterfxck.

Im not going to say we need to be optimist about layering. I am not a big fan of it at all. But I would at the same time the careful using what was happening during the stress test as how it will be. They were adjusting and sliding settings big time during that first night to get data. So people were getting moved between layers a lot. This would cause a lot of people to disappear and appear. Mobs to suddenly appear dead or all of them suddenly alive.

Truth is we don't really know what it will be like. The only time any testing with layering happens is during a 4-5 hour period when stress testing starts and it's more about data collection than seeing how it actually will be working on day one. Sad thing is since beta seems more about advertising instead of actual testing it will likely be broken as hell for the first few weeks because they refuse to test it properly over a larger period time.

Are you for fucking real?

Mobs take ages to kill anyways, and even in Classic, it was incredibly rare to see people *clearing* zones like you are assuming, I played since launch, and not once have I seen this happen. Not ONCE, except on the Beta stresst test when they specifically had about 300 new players in the same area, and guess what? Mobs still spawned at fast rates.

Fuck me, you really are talking next level waves of utter shite now.
    Jesus tittyfing christ, do you know what AE farming is? If not can you just stop posting? Because all you do is showing that you know nothing about anything. Stick to retail and leave the classic forums.

EDIT: Google AE grinding with mage on vanilla. And you will see that everything you just wrote is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    - Asks to get into beta
    - Gets access to beta
    - Plays the beta
    - Finds a bug
    - Opens a ticket

OH WAIT, NO, LET'S BITCH ON FORUMS INSTEAD
    It's not a bug though.. It's working exactly as intended and that is the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Im not going to say we need to be optimist about layering. I am not a big fan of it at all. But I would at the same time the careful using what was happening during the stress test as how it will be. They were adjusting and sliding settings big time during that first night to get data. So people were getting moved between layers a lot. This would cause a lot of people to disappear and appear. Mobs to suddenly appear dead or all of them suddenly alive.

Truth is we don't really know what it will be like. The only time any testing with layering happens is during a 4-5 hour period when stress testing starts and it's more about data collection than seeing how it actually will be working on day one. Sad thing is since beta seems more about advertising instead of actual testing it will likely be broken as hell for the first few weeks because they refuse to test it properly over a larger period time.
    I think everyone will be OK with layering in the first few days, maybe a week or two. Beyond that, I think people will get VERY upset.

A critical part of the classic experience is to play with the people on your realm - for good and bad. Interact with gankers, get enemies on both factions for lots of reasons, make lots of friends etc etc.

Having layering ruins that and builds no community at all.

Because it is NOT a big deal, and is nothing more than atiny portion of people getting worked up over something that most likely isn't even an issue.
    I mean, sheesh, people are whining it is happening on a beta stress test. That is LITERALLY when they are meant to test this kind of stuff, and people whine it is happening. Look objectively (if you guys even *can* at this point) and accept maybe, just maybe you are blowing it all out of proportion.

Honestly, the poster IQ here drops yearly it seems.

And as for the people suggesting lag, disconnects, and poor respawn times, and overcrowded quest areas should be part of the experience? Get over yourselves and stop being idiots. Never heard such shite spoken all week.
    Sounds like vanilla/classic is not for you