Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Least favourite genre of Video Games?

I will go for fighting games , not my cup of tea

I dislike digital only downloads, as well as Games As A Service (GAAS).

It's greed on a dev/publishers part to exclude Brick and Mortar (ie actual location) stores, which is where I'd rather go to study the available games, their box art, then look them up individually to decide who gets my money.

Paid online game reviews are a corrupt shit-show, and I'd rather see just who put the most thought into the product they would like to sell, then have the opportunity to casually look up YouTube opinions, amongst my favorite like-minded reviewers.

I'm not always up-to-date on what just came out, but my local physical stores are.

.. All the same GAAS feels like a genre these days, as well as digital .. since they are the only way to play certain games.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-06-21 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    If you don't like GAAS, why are you on a forum that is dedicated to World of Warcraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

It's greed on a dev/publishers part to exclude Brick and Mortar (ie actual location) stores, which is where I'd rather go to study the available games, their box art, then look them up individually to decide who gets my money.

Paid online game reviews are a corrupt shit-show, and I'd rather see just who put the most thought into the product they would like to sell, then have the opportunity to casually look up YouTube opinions, amongst my favorite like-minded reviewers.

I'm not always up-to-date on what just came out, but my local physical stores are.

.. All the same GAAS feels like a genre these days, as well as digital .. since they are the only way to play certain games.
    Not trying to be that guy, but that's not a genre.

For me it's any story game, like tell tale games or life is strange. It's not a game, it's just interactive talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post

For me it's any story game, like tell tale games or life is strange. It's not a game, it's just interactive talking.
    Do you dislike them as games because they are not "true games" or do you dislike them in general?

For me probably fighting games.

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    Do you dislike them as games because they are not "true games" or do you dislike them in general?

For me probably fighting games.
    I dislike them because I want to play a game. Most of them is just text boxes and see where the stories goes with your responses. At best you maybe have to walk from a to b with not much happening except maybe observing an event happening around you. I would call them to be interactive movies rather than games tbh.

Sports games and FPS.

I dislike them because I want to play a game. Most of them is just text boxes and see where the stories goes with your responses. I would call them to be interactive movies rather than games tbh.
    Yes I understand, but do you dislike them if you think it as a substitute for a book or a movie for example? If you don't feel like playing a game, but something less interactive, would you still prefer e.g. a movie instead?

Just curious because these types of "games" are probably my favourite storytelling medium, and I dislike if they have actual gameplay elements in them.

It's been working it's way into one for quite some time, as mentioned. A genre is a subset of something bigger, and GAAS qualifies, albeit with overlaps into other sub-genres, etc (like adventure crossed with beat-em-ups, there is overlap).

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    If you don't like GAAS, why are you on a forum that is dedicated to World of Warcraft?
    I'm not subscribed, most of the time. WoW seems to be the exception to the rule, as always.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-06-21 at 08:44 PM.

up-and-coming "Auto Battlers"™

I dislike them because I want to play a game. Most of them is just text boxes and see where the stories goes with your responses. At best you maybe have to walk from a to b with not much happening except maybe observing an event happening around you. I would call them to be interactive movies rather than games tbh.
    I kind of like the interactive movies, as it's more entertaining than watching most of the crap on TV.

Sports games.

10chars

Playing sports games is somehow more boring than watching actual sports.

Most fighting games feel the same to me, but the ones that feel different, are trying too hard to be different, imo.

I don't understand the appeal of MOBAs and simulation games.

10+ Year Old Account
    FPS because they are typically garbage
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    I will go for fighting games , not my cup of tea
    Sports games (except for the snowboarding or some racing ones)..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Sports games and FPS.
    Same here. Absolutely don't care about Sports Games beyond the NES era and that's obviously a nostalgia thing.

Generally speaking First Person Shooters/games (Elder Scrolls even). They're just not my thing. Where people feel they're more immersive, I feel like they're very restrictive since it's like being in the action with blinders on. It's like I'm wearing the blinders they put on horses and running off into combat since there's no peripheral vision capability.

Regarding the "Games as a Service" games, I don't like them for their design. Essentially I feel like a single MMO is all I can manage and yet developers and publishers are expecting a dozen to thrive simultaneously while being largely the same game with a few different bells and whistles (same problem so many MMORPGs had trying to be WoW clones and they all promptly died not long after launch). That said, I don't necessarily despise them as games since I've enjoyed The Division and I think I'd similarly enjoy Division 2 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. But the reason is that in those examples, I'm going to buy the game for $60 or less and expect a satisfying experience playing with friends from 1-50 or whatever the end of the launch storyline/campaign is. At that point, I'm not going to keep playing it. I'm going to treat it as a single game experience.

So if you can make a game that utilizes Live Service design but delivers a fulfilling launch campaign worth my money as a stand alone story game, I'm content. I won't give you any DLC or expansion money, nor am I going to keep playing to grind loot (I play a single dedicated MMORPG for that), but I'll be happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    Yes I understand, but do you dislike them if you think it as a substitute for a book or a movie for example? If you don't feel like playing a game, but something less interactive, would you still prefer e.g. a movie instead?

Just curious because these types of "games" are probably my favourite storytelling medium, and I dislike if they have actual gameplay elements in them.
    Ofc, if you are after the story and see it as an substitute I can see the appeal. Doesn't change the fact that it's not really a game to begin with. Games is essentially you requiring to use a set of rules to overcome a challenge. There isn't much of that in the games, if any.

I would definitely prefer a movie.
    With that said games is also my favorite story medium, but it needs to tie in the mechanics and gameplay to enhance it, it sucks you in and makes you more invested. Alan wake is a good example.

I think Amnesia: the dark descent is another. You playing the character finding out what happened and feeling the same isolation, disorientation and sanity failing you...tell tale style game wouldn't give you the same feeling to me.

Battle Royale!!

Second, repetitive online only FPS games like Overwatch. 15 minute identical gameplay loops with no story in game suck. I'd rather read a book. Feels like the tacked on portion of a full game. Boring content-less playgrounds with no point. Gameplay copied and pasted from every other fps. No character building or meaningful progression outside of personal pride at your rank.

Not for me.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-06-21 at 08:44 PM.

Sport games, I like playing them IRL but never as a video game.

Horror games are kinda fun to watch others play, but they are not for me. Mainly talking about games where all you do is hide from the monster which can get old really fast in any game. I do like the more action oriented horror games like Resident Evil and Dead Space which are more fun to play.

Battle Royale is also not my cup of tea, mainly because there isn't one that is appealing to me right now. Its still a new genre so there's still a lot of time for it to evolve.

I don't like first-person shooters, mostly because they give me terrible simulator sickness.

I also don't care for racing games, they bore the hell out of me. Same with all sports games.